Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car < 3000

Options
  • 30-01-2006 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just looking for some quick advice, just want to change the car, i feel in time i'll be putting more into the punto than it's worth, so would rather get rid of it now...

can anyone recommend a car, 1.2-1.6, any year that's dependable and that holds its value well(as well as possible:))

Some i've seen, 96-97 Civic 1.5/6, 98 Megane Classic 1.6, 1.2 Fiesta Zetec etc etc....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

think Japanese if you want reliability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

how would i go about getting an import so?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

LundiMardi wrote:
    how would i go about getting an import so?

I think he means buy a Toyota/Nissan/Honda etc. (Although from my experience Toyotas are far from infallible, but that is a different story)

If you are looking for a small cheap car that is actually nice to drive the Ford Fiesta 1.25 is definately far nicer than anything else of its vintage. It will be every bit as reliable as anything from the far east too if you get a nice example

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

no car is infalible, but statistically Japanese cars give less trouble. THat said a 1.25 Fiesta is massive fun to chuck around and the engine's a gem. just wouldn't buy one

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

maidhc wrote:
    If you are looking for a small cheap car that is actually nice to drive the Ford Fiesta 1.25 is definately far nicer than anything else of its vintage. It will be every bit as reliable as anything from the far east too if you get a nice example

The 1.25 litre engine in the Fiesta was actually designed by Yamaha. :D

You cannot go wrong with this engine in the Fiesta, it is just trying to find a neat and tidy one that hasn't been trashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Tell me about it... I have a '00 fiesta zetec 1.25. 2 months after I bought it the exhaust basically disintegrated. Fortunately it was still under warranty from the dealer, and they replaced the whole exhaust on the same day after a bit of unhappy shouting from me.
    It is quite nippy for a car of that class, I have to say :D
    I've since put about 10,000 miles on it without any mechanical trouble, just a wonky door lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

LundiMardi wrote:
    can anyone recommend a car, 1.2-1.6, any year that's dependable and that holds its value well(as well as possible:))
    Nothing holds its value, forget about that bit. What you want is something that will last as long as possible with running costs as little as possible.

Get the buy and sell and spend around €2k on a 96-98 Corolla/Carina/Almera. (edit - honda civic would be on the list but most have been abused, forget about the Megane they don't age well)

Then take it in to a reliable mechanic and get him to give it a total overhaul, which should cost less than €1k.

After that you should get away with a service every 2 years just before the NCT runs out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Megane is a nightmare, avoid :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Fiesta Fiesta Fiesta!!

Another thumbs up from me! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Drove a 1.4 Pug 206 2day, fun car 2 drive, 1.4 is gonna cost me almost €1500 insurance as a named driver though

Try them, they hold value but not for less than 6k

• Advertisement
Advertisement