Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does this happen to anyone else?

• 30-01-2006 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

i start a download and its 5 or 600kb/s on a 2Mb line it happened todat it started at 1000kb/s and downloaded 8 megs there and then

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

you should count yourself lucky, I can only get 250kb @ best on my 2MB line.

It always starts high & then stabilizes around 200 - 250 for me :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

yeah its usually tht for me so i was amazed when it said 100kb/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

weeder wrote:
    i start a download and its 5 or 600kb/s on a 2Mb line it happened todat it started at 1000kb/s and downloaded 8 megs there and then

Yep I have seen that too recently, it's called bandwith bursting and only happens when there is plenty of spare bandwith. It gives you a short burst of tranfer at a higher speed which is determined by a burst ratio usually 2:1 or sometimes 4:1 If your line had a normal transfer rate of 600Kbps then a 2:1 Burst would give you up 1200Kbps for a short time.

Advertisement