Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mac filtering can access 192.168.1.254?

• 30-01-2006 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

Can a device whose MAC adress is not in the allowed MAC's list still access the Netopia router setup page 192.168.1.254?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I wouldn't think so...thats the whole idea of MAC filtering!!! It's inplace so you can't get access to the network in the first place. If you can't access the network, you won't be able to access the netopia box.

MAC filtering is useful for wireless so a war driver cannot freeload your BB, provided that you are not running WEP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wind00ze

thats true but they still could be able to access the router setup page if remote administration is enabled and usually by default it is.
    check the settings and make sure remote administration is disabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

I cannot find the remote admin enable/disable function. I have netopia 3347 with latest software. Tnx.

Ok well im using a Netopia 3347NWG, so the settings may differ a bit but on mine its under expert configuration then Remote Access and then click disable.
    Check out www.netopia.com and seach for your model number so you can get the exact instructions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭HSo

humaxf1 wrote:
    I wouldn't think so...thats the whole idea of MAC filtering!!! It's inplace so you can't get access to the network in the first place. If you can't access the network, you won't be able to access the netopia box.

MAC filtering is useful for wireless so a war driver cannot freeload your BB, provided that you are not running WEP!

Hi Humaxf1, forgive my ignorance, I'm new to wireless issues. can you explain to me the last sentence - are you saying that WEP should not be used with MAC filtering? and if so what are the problems?
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

WEP must and should be used at all times, except when you are setting wireless up for the first time to check you have connectivity etc. Then setup your string of chars for the WEP key etc.

MAC filtering is like a second barrier of defence in case someone has the ability of cracking your WEP...unless their MAC is in your list, they wont get access. That's the theory. But, people can spoof MAC addresses of course.

It's also nice if you can hide your SSID broadcast, what you call your wireless network. That way, people don't know what to enter if they pick up your wireless network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

if someone gets by WEP (not difficult), they wont have any problem getting a valid MAC address and spoofing it.
    It's also nice if you can hide your SSID broadcast, what you call your wireless network. That way, people don't know what to enter if they pick up your wireless network.

Nothing that a bit of packet sniffing wont cure, you dont "Need" an SSID to connect. Disabling broadcast can also create connectivity issues for "genuine" clients.

WPA wherever possible should be used. MAC filtering is "almost" a waste of time IMO. It does spark the debate about who you are protecting the network from though.

I agree totally, disabling the SSID only causes more problems.
    And with regards to the encryption the only decent one it WPA but ONLY if
    its not dictionary, word otherwise its as week as WEP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Guys, I use MAC filtering only, there are very few people who can hack a mac filtering network.

• Advertisement

where do ya live?
    only joking but serioulsy thats not true at all. All they have to do is
    sniff you network and they can see which mac's are been used.
    So then they can spoof an address.

www.ethereal.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

WillieDH wrote:
    Guys, I use MAC filtering only, there are very few people who can hack a mac filtering network.

As mentioned, one can sniff packets and get a mac addresss very easily. Its not even hacking, or cracking for that matter TBH.

Also, as your traffic is not encrypted, all of your wireless traffic is extremly easy to eavsedrop. So email passwords, server passwords etc can be gotten with consumate ease. Also, the access to your router is generally not through secure HTTP, so one could also nab your router password and do all sorts of goodness ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭HSo

humaxf1 wrote:
    WEP must and should be used at all times, except when you are setting wireless up for the first time to check you have connectivity etc. Then setup your string of chars for the WEP key etc.

MAC filtering is like a second barrier of defence in case someone has the ability of cracking your WEP...unless their MAC is in your list, they wont get access. That's the theory. But, people can spoof MAC addresses of course.

Great! thanks for the info

Advertisement