Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barton requests move away from City

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Jesus, imagine if Fergie swooops for him today, that'd be hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Barton is a fantastic player. He would definitely challenge for a place in any of the top sides in the league.

If I said what I thought of him though as a man however, the post reporting trigger happy PC brigade we have here on boards would probably have collective seizures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Good player. Hate to see him at liverpool though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

alot of clubs will come in for him but i don't think fergie will. well i hope he won't i cant stand barton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Joey Barton seems set to leave Man City after contract negotiations broke down and the player handed in a transfer request. Another big player leaving a smaller club, theres a ridiculous pattern emerging here.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=358656&CPID=8&clid=&lid=4161&title=Barton+requests+City+move

Loyalty is good but you can't blame players for wanting to win things. I was glad when Damien Duff moved to Chelsea. Sad as I was to see him leave Blackburn, I knew he was destined for bigger and better things.

Perhaps mid-table mediocrity isn't what Barton wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Barton would be a fantastic signing for United, or Arsenal for that matter. Just the type of player both need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If I recall rightly Liverpool were interested in him a season or two back...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lemlin wrote:
    Loyalty is good but you can't blame players for wanting to win things. I was glad when Damien Duff moved to Chelsea. Sad as I was to see him leave Blackburn, I knew he was destined for bigger and better things.

Perhaps mid-table mediocrity isn't what Barton wants.

How do you know its about wanting to win things? If it was he wouldnt of even bothered starting contract talks. The fact they were started, then broke down seems to me thats its about money rather then winning things.

*edit* - the link even says he wasnt happy with the level of pay being offered.

I dont think arsenal would sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

How do you know its about wanting to win things? If it was he wouldnt of even bothered starting contract talks. The fact they were started, then broke down seems to me thats its about money rather then winning things.

I dont think arsenal would sign him.

Because I'm presuming it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Man City are a club heavily in debt, letting Fowler go suited them more than him. Barton knows he could be on 60k elsewhere and is right to look for somfint hat reflects his game, BUT after the **** he put Man City tru he should be glad hes getting a game.

Been a while since Man Utd signed someone from a rival.....Smith possibly the last one.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

mike65 wrote:
    If I recall rightly Liverpool were interested in him a season or two back...

Mike.

Yeah, and he's a mate of Stevie G's too, I think. Still, with Alonso, Hamann, Sissoko and Gerrard, we're not exactly short in the centre.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I can see Ferguson putting in a bid for him. I personally don't like the fúcker. Decent player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Hes a bit of a wild boy/nutter, but hes a talented Midfielder. Could play in nearly every Premiership club. ManUtd should be already sounding his agent out, hes young but will only get better with a good man manager.

Rooney strikes me as exaclty the similar type of player as Barton. Like quality player but has issues. But if hes available Utd should be trying to get him, Barton is good enough to play with Arsenal, Liverpool etc.

If Utd dont go for him there will be a Q of managers tryin to get their hands on him. Blackburn could do with him in the squad, Tugay isnt getting any younger. maybe Wigan will make a move for him.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I imagine United won't buy him because he will be massivly overpriced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

No doubt Wigan will be in for him. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

PHB wrote:
    I imagine United won't buy him because he will be massivly overpriced.
    His contract is up Sept 07, transfer dead line is tomorrow, will he go now or in the summer?

Stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Nice turnaround here. Haven't a clue what to think of footballers these days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/4684956.stm
    Joey Barton hopes to end his contract dispute with Manchester City by signing a new deal before the weekend.

The 23-year-old midfielder turned down City's offer of a new contract last week and handed in a transfer request.

But he said: "People are talking now and my advisers are meeting City again. Hopefully we can get this matter resolved before our next game.

"Hopefully with my actions on and off the field this week I can prove people who doubt my commitment to City wrong."

Barton, who is out of contract at the end of next season, added: "In hindsight I was a little bit impetuous in handing in a transfer request.

"But the club have rejected it and it is not my aim to leave in the near future.

"I want to be a part of things here and there is no reason why it cannot be decided this week."

It is understood the offer that Barton rejected would have doubled his £14,000-per-week salary with win bonuses and appearance money.

Barton's agent Willie McKay told the Manchester Evening News: "If City came back with the same figure as a basic salary I would advise him to sign it."

The former England Under-21 international has continued to play for City and featured in the side that lost 1-0 to Everton on Saturday.

He was booed by his own fans during City's win over Newcastle last week but was later applauded off the pitch.

Advertisement