Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best MCSE study guides/books?

Options
  • 30-01-2006 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to start self-studying for the MCSE's. I had a look around on amazon to see what peoples reviews on certain books were. Nothing stood out. The Microsoft training stuff seemed to be regarded as one the the better ones although people said they're only good for revision. Others said the Sybex books were good, but again, you'd need another companion book to help. I find the Sybex books to be good as I have the A+ and CCNA books. Any opinions on best study material/books to obtain?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

The Microsoft ones are excellent.. but not as readable and concise as Sybex, unfortunaly there are a few exams that Sybex don't have books for.. I'd say for the easier exams you are more comfortable with get the Sybex ones.. plus the easier exams generally give you a good launch platform for the harder exams (implementing active directory etc.), where the MS books might be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Looks like it's gonna cost me a fortune in books, never mind exam fees! Cheers for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

To be truly honest you would be better just printing out the help files/concepts on server 2000/2003. Its one thing that I can say microsoft has done right!!

They are really helpful + resemble real world envoirment

Gator wrote:
    To be truly honest you would be better just printing out the help files/concepts on server 2000/2003. Its one thing that I can say microsoft has done right!!

They are really helpful + resemble real world envoirment
    Tbh, I don't fancy that at all. Any more recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

i find these nuggets to be very good just sit back and relax and watch your man talk , it's like been at a leture or something and you start to find there american jokes quite funny

http://www.cbtnuggets.com/

• Advertisement

Anybody else? What about training dvd's?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

aaf wrote:
    Anybody else? What about training dvd's?

I think you're looking into this too much, the exams are pretty basic, the MS books cover anything you'll be asked in the exam, and if you're all ready working in an enviroment were you using ms products daily you wont need to study very hard.

you could also take the route that 90% of mcse's did and just study the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

True and false
    MS books cover anything -- far from true
    enviroment were you using ms products daily you wont need to study very hard -- true to an extrent

Testkings are your friend here however using them alone you will pass the exam and learn feck all. Using them + the MS material is the best route. Last one i did 100% of the exam Q's were in the testkings i reviewed before the exam. What exam numbers you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

True and false
    MS books cover anything -- far from true
    enviroment were you using ms products daily you wont need to study very hard -- true to an extrent

Testkings are your friend here however using them alone you will pass the exam and learn feck all. Using them + the MS material is the best route. Last one i did 100% of the exam Q's were in the testkings i reviewed before the exam. What exam numbers you doing?

What I meant was, there won't be a question in the exam on a concept that wasn't mentioned _somewhere_ in the book.

NT4/2k/2k3 I've never seen a question that the concept wasn't covered.
    It might be hidden in a stupid story about brad and his surf board, but the concept will be there.

If you're working in an MS enviroment everyday, and working with AD etc then you won't or SHOULDN'T need to study that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Are you going to go 2000 or 2003 ?

First thing I would personally do is decide what path/route you want to go

messaging
    Security
    etc

That way you can build your book list on the that basis. I would do the exams this order

Workstation -> Server -> Design -> Elective

Remember these days you can do the exams so you get the + Security as well as the MSCE. which will stand to you when looking for work.

As for books for 2000 I found Sybex to be best. Now for 2003 I started with the Microsoft books as well as Mastering 2003 (This book is massive but very well written). I realy dont find that much difference between the Sybex and MS books in general except maybe the Sybex throw in little stories maybe making the book an easier read. Both Authors I feel dont cover all that you will need to know to pass the exam straight from the book, you will need to back up your reading with the relevant testking / transcender etc test software about a week before you sit the exam(s)

I would also get the Trial Server sw from Microsoft and get a server up and running so you can fool around with it while you are reading the books.

As for cbtnuggets / DvD etc personnally I found them a waste of time, I kinda just ended up zoning out while watching them, but each to his own.

As was mentioned the exams arent that hard, if you have done the Comptia exams they can now be used as an elective which is nice. Ask around to borrow the books off someone alot of people have them lying around on shelves getting dusty.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the advice guys. Gonna start studying for the 2003 soon. Will get the MS books and maybe either Sybex or Syngress books aswell for certain exams. Haven't decided which electives to take yet. I have relatively little or no expereince with severs, AD or Exchange etc but I'm a quick learner. Might just do the Network+ and Security+ first as quickly as I can to give me a good foundation and build my cert cv fast.

Advertisement