Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zero degrees in Cork - Driving Tests Cancelled!!

Options
  • 30-01-2006 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

My son was scheduled to do his first test in Cork City this morning at 10am. Beautiful crisp clear day. Zero degrees but the roads were as dry as a bone. I took him around prospective routes at 7.30am without any problem. He had a professional lesson at 8.30am, again no difficulties experienced. He arrived at the Driving Test Centre at 10am only to be told that all tests were cancelled due to "black ice". What a farce! So much for the efforts we are told are being made to clear the backlog. My son had to skip college and I had to pay additional insurance to cover him in my car only to meet with this stupid cancellation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Thats terrible. Did ye get a re-schedule??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

thats really stupid. contact the driving test office and tell them about this.they might give you a quicker date

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You think they'd be more eager to conduct the tests. What better way to prove that you can drive than icy roads?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This reminds me of the time (~5 years ago) I rang Ballina about getting a friend listed for a moped test.
    It was about october and I was told that they don't do bike tests over the winter because of the inclement weather.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

That's nuts, surely it can't be the way they're supposed to run it. Makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sparks400 wrote:
    That's nuts, surely it can't be the way they're supposed to run it. Makes no sense.
    Despite what I said above, if there is snow or ice on the routes, they won't conduct the tests since all advice says that in such conditions "you shouldn't drive unless it is absolutely necessary". And despite what the candidate may think, a driving test isn't a necessary journey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

So what do the testers do all day? Sit there twiddling their thumbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Stephen wrote:
    So what do the testers do all day? Sit there twiddling their thumbs?

Well they are civil servants aren't they.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They discuss the funny ways in which they fail someone :D
    "Im not getting in that car - there is a smell of fags"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

seamus wrote:
    Despite what I said above, if there is snow or ice on the routes, they won't conduct the tests since all advice says that in such conditions "you shouldn't drive unless it is absolutely necessary":). And despite what the candidate may think, a driving test isn't a necessary journey

This shines some light on it I suppose, but it's still nuts IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Bluetonic wrote:

Indeed, the Civil Servazzzzzzzzz...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭MikeHunt

same excuse was given to someone I know in Dublin yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Bluetonic wrote:
    :D lol, ah what a wonderfull day off for them, jesus it might of been frosty this morning, but that didnt mean to cancel every test for the day ffs, ive been driving around all morning and the roads are dry, i know thats dublin, but the sun is slightly shining aswell, a perfect day in my opinion for a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Back in the old days, they would have just handed him a license because it was too icy to do the test.

Advertisement