Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Disconnects!!!

• 30-01-2006 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

since the "upgrade" my connection seems to be disconnecting at random intervals and then reconnecting a few secs later , happening all the time

my squads in the middle of a tournament and i cant play now GRRRR
    its very noticeable cos ive had 0 disconnects last year
    now its like 20 times a day

im on the CABRA exchange

anyone else having problems like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Yep had it after the last upgrade for a good while but the problem disappeared for the last 4 or 5 months. Always thought it was a problem with my Netgear router though but the penny dropped when this disconnect problem reared its ugly head again right after this upgrade. Bray exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Had the same problem with my line when we got upgraded; I've replaced my router with a new one and the line quality is a good bit better but as for disconnects I can't be sure they are gone - I've only had a few hours :) The line quality is better though (aten/snr).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

Mine sometimes disconnects when somebody picks up the phone! Very annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

fletch wrote:
    Mine sometimes disconnects when somebody picks up the phone! Very annoying!

Your filter must be malfunctioning.

This upgrade has really shown how utter sh!te eircoms network is!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

BOHSBOHS wrote:
    since the "upgrade" my connection seems to be disconnecting at random intervals and then reconnecting a few secs later , happening all the time

my squads in the middle of a tournament and i cant play now GRRRR
    its very noticeable cos ive had 0 disconnects last year
    now its like 20 times a day

im on the CABRA exchange

anyone else having problems like this?

Have a look at this thread and then have a look at your own figures - it may be that your line is not up to it.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054875406

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

how do i do that? dub45?

ive got utv clciksilver , zyxel prestige 600 series modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Got the same prob.
    Some BT BB Plus.
    Service has been erratic since the upgrade.
    Sometimes I'd get 2/3 hours fine... then disconnections every 2 mins for a lengthy period :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Is this why Eircom had interleaving turned on up till this upgrade, I wonder or is that not related. As much as I love the new pings of 16ms to boards and 25ms to jolt after they turned interleaving right down with this upgrade, if it means a flakey connection then they can turn it back on and I'll learn to live with higher than average dsl pings.

One thing I have to check myself though is that my downstream SNR is now bouncing from 1-6/7 instead of the 14-20 it was before. I'm worried that might also have something to do with my disconnects and is that down to the upgrade or that I added a new phone extension a week or so ago. My disconnect problem may turn out to be SNR and extension related rather than anything to do with the upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Calibos wrote:
    One thing I have to check myself though is that my downstream SNR is now bouncing from 1-6/7 instead of the 14-20 it was before. I'm worried that might also have something to do with my disconnects and is that down to the upgrade or that I added a new phone extension a week or so ago. My disconnect problem may turn out to be SNR and extension related rather than anything to do with the upgrade.
    That SNR is very low and I'd say that's the cause of your problems. Whats the line attenuation like? Try pluging the modem into the main phone socket and see if they improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Wolfy100

I'm hearing you man. Since the upgrade I keep getting disconnected from online games, it's very frustrating. I'll be playing with a ping of 100ms and the it'll hit 2000ms and then disconnect from the server. The mad thing is my broadband doesn't seem to disconnect completely as I can open a browser and happily open web pages straight after being disconnected from the game server. It seems as though I am losing the connection for just long enough for the game servers to kick me off. This didn't happen before the upgrade.

I am hearing around that Eircom has turned off interleaving, if thats true I imagine it could explain the inconsistent connection I am having and probably others too. I must admit I don't know too much about it so if anyone with Telco experience could shed some light on it the I would be grateful. BT's technical support just told me that there is no problem and its the games fault. Yeah right!

• Advertisement

Interleaving is still on but not as harsh as what it used to be. I am not getting kicked off WoW any more after getting the new router but I am experiencing other problems which I can't be certain are game related or line related (looting takes ages; I stay in the crouched looting position for ages; enemies jump around as if I had lag but my pings are OK etc..) I am desperate for NTL, I really am :(

It's WoW I am having trouble with, BT is my ISP. Can you tell me what new router you got, I am using the Zyxel Prestige 660W.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Hi folks, I too am having constant disconnections problems, see:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054883905

Something looks serious with my noise margin and line attenuation is not great either. I have no idea what is causing the problem. I'm using a Netgear DG834 V1. Anyone any ideas? This is so frustrating!! Eircoms are less than helpful.

Wolfy100 wrote:
    It's WoW I am having trouble with, BT is my ISP. Can you tell me what new router you got, I am using the Zyxel Prestige 660W.
    I'd say that router is just fine tbh. I upgraded from a nearly 4 year old Dlink to a new Linksys WAG354G. I doubt getting a new router would help you.

My technical support query from BT was useless. They told me everything is ok. So the question is, what can I do now? There clearly is a problem but if the guys providing the service won't admit it then what is my next move? Comreg? Change ISP? I don't have much of a choice in celbridge.

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

yeah most of ur problems have notin to do with ur routers its the lines they no longer have over-haulage room wen they are bein heavily used ..because of the new speeds...mine disconnects only wen playin my online games so it has to be something to do with games..and there bandwidth usage

But surely online games don't use that much bandwidth, I was under the impression that games use low bandwidth but require high pings. My aplogies if I am mistaken but that was how I understood things.

My disconnects are showing themselves in large downloads now aswell. After downloading 80megs it will stop and wont carry on, even though I can browse around ok. Very similar to my online game problem and only started since this bloody upgrade (or maybe downgrade!)

Advertisement