Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Networking Issues

• 30-01-2006 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭

I bought an ADSL router from Netgear yesterday [DG834GT]. Not using the ADSL function just yet, though.

There will be three computer on the network: my own, a laptop and another desktop. The router is connected to mine; the HP laptop has built-in wireless and the router came with a Netgear 102 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter [for the desktop].

I've just spend the past two hours trying to get it all working -- Windows cannot even see the network, altough I'm broadcasting the SSID. I even tried different encryption -- none, WPA [entered the key the router generated into the boxes that required them], WEP [entered the key]. How should I be doing this? There are endless options in the menus -- should the system be detected as a wireless network? I tried using an option to set up a home or office wireless connection. No joy.

I have changed the workgroup name on all computers and restarted. At one stage, one network was recognised -- "SW03"; nothing similar to my workgroup/SSID. However, the signal was at the highest level, so I question it ...

DHCP is activated. My PC is 192.168.0.1. I also tried adding connections under the 'properties' option of the wireless network devices installed on the laptop and second desktop. Again, no success.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

I too have recently installed the Linksys WRTG54 router (am on NTL bband) and am having difficulty making it secure on my Win98SE laptop. I have yet to find a decent guide on making the connection secure ANYWHERE on the web. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

ethernet wrote:
    I bought an ADSL router from Netgear yesterday [DG834GT]. Not using the ADSL function just yet, though.

There will be three computer on the network: my own, a laptop and another desktop. The router is connected to mine; the HP laptop has built-in wireless and the router came with a Netgear 102 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter [for the desktop].

I've just spend the past two hours trying to get it all working -- Windows cannot even see the network, altough I'm broadcasting the SSID. I even tried different encryption -- none, WPA [entered the key the router generated into the boxes that required them], WEP [entered the key]. How should I be doing this? There are endless options in the menus -- should the system be detected as a wireless network? I tried using an option to set up a home or office wireless connection. No joy.

I have changed the workgroup name on all computers and restarted. At one stage, one network was recognised -- "SW03"; nothing similar to my workgroup/SSID. However, the signal was at the highest level, so I question it ...

DHCP is activated. My PC is 192.168.0.1. I also tried adding connections under the 'properties' option of the wireless network devices installed on the laptop and second desktop. Again, no success.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Disable all the bells and whistles like encryption. Get it working first as a basic unsecured network. After you have the computers connecting to it then its easy to enable to security afterwards.

What IP address does the router have? And will the other computers join the network as expected if you plug them in using a LAN cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

having pron with canyon router that came with wirelessbb
    got locked out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Peace wrote:
    Disable all the bells and whistles like encryption. Get it working first as a basic unsecured network. After you have the computers connecting to it then its easy to enable to security afterwards.

Thanks, all, for replies.

Windows insisted on using WEP at least or the wizard wouldn't work. Now using WPA-PSK with 29-character password.

I managed to made a wireless connection to a desktop in the house. It's very annoying that Netgear's software is running concurrently with Windows'. However, Windows won't let me set up a wireless network unless I allow it to take control over the wireless adapter. Then Netgear's software throws a wobblie -- varying speeds by the second. Seems to settle down after a while.

How do I network my desktop [connected to the rooter] with the other desktop [connected to the wireless USB adapter]? In 'My Network Places', under my workgroup, I saw both my PC and the other one. Just to try and obtain the same on the other PCs now. My family's patience is wearing thin with me hogging their PCs trying to get this working!
    Peace wrote:
    What IP address does the router have? And will the other computers join the network as expected if you plug them in using a LAN cable.

The rooter's IP address is 192.168.0.1 [the default gateway according to "ipconfig /all"]. Trying a LAN cable isn't really an option -- no spares and the desktops are on opposite sides of the house, unfortunately.

Advertisement