Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirge of Cerberus preview.

Options
  • 30-01-2006 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

IGN have a preview of the actual game http://ps2.ign.com/articles/683/683247p1.html
    Early days yet but they don't seem to be too critical of the game.

There looks to be a bit of materia knocking about aswell which makes things a bit more interesting I'd say. Videos don't look too bad but there had better be a good bit of high-quality storyline.

They also have a few new videos there of the gameplay too.

Can't say I've heard of a definate release for us or the Americans.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Surprisingly the game isnt looking bad at all... when this was first announced i took one look at the cast array of FF7 spin-offs, sequels and sheer b*llocks and didnt look again. Now that this hasnt faded away it looks interesting...

especially with videos like this knocking around

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Looks nice alright, didn't know there was an online mode either, interesting.

Some mad amount of auto-aim in them videos though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Auto-aiming never hurt devil may cry. I'm hoping it can match that game. Just hope the Kingdom Hearts team is working on it. I'd say they could pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

yeah, heres hoping its like devil may cry.
    i'll have to blow the dust from my ps2 to play it though..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The game is out at the moment in japan and from the reviews on gamefaqs and a few other obscure sources the news isn't good. The story is meant to be dire and worst of all the game is meant to be a complete mess with some absolutely horrid controls. The only good things I've heard said are that the CGI is pretty and the graphics are fairly ok.

At least kingdom Hearts 2 is meant to be something really special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

that sucks

damn square enix ruining one of the best stories ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Well, I might wait to see it for myself but I can't imagine myself going in for one of these "look pretty but plays crap" games.

That makes their last two outings crap. Fantastic.

Therefore seeing as two have been poor, XII must be good.

grimloch wrote:
    Therefore seeing as two have been poor, XII must be good.

Haven't played the demo have you? It's not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

XII looks great. Random, turn-based battles ruined FFVII for me, so I'm really looking forward to XII. Demo's **** though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

Vincent's cape is so deadly... I hope they don't do what they did with Advent Children, sexy movie and graphics but with a not-so-great story line.

• Advertisement

XII looks great. Random, turn-based battles ruined FFVII for me, so I'm really looking forward to XII. Demo's **** though?

I looks pretty but the battle system is dire. It's basically the exact same as KOTORs dull system only less functional and well thought out and with boring enemies to take care of. Random battles aren't too bad in FF games. They are worse in most other RPGs. I myself much prefer turn based over real time or the stupid ATB system used in FFIV-FFIX. The turn based system in FFX was perfect and allowed for some great tactical play. Why they changed it to a more dull western style battle system is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I liked the battle system in KOTOR. But that's probably because I don't like RPGs. KOTOR is the only RPG I like, or have finished! :)

Well you will curse how badly laid out and implemented the FFXII combat system is compared to KOTOR. I'm playing KOTOR at the moment and while I'm enjoying it and the story is great is is distressingly dull at times especially dungeon type bits. But in KOTOR the dungeons are nicely done with a lot of enemies doing patrols or going about their daily business. FFXII just has random enemies milling about. Also the menu system is terrible. When you pause in kotor it's easy to issue commands to all characters before unpausing. In FFXII however if you want to do this you have to pause the game 3 times to issue commands to each character. It's stupid things like this that really bring it down. And just like KOTOR there are no tactics involved in fighting which is a huge step back from FFX.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Retr0gamer wrote:
    FFXII just has random enemies milling about.

Grandia II had that too, I know the battles were probably more technical than XII's but the last thing I'm going to let put me off a game is a bad battle system.

The grandia battle system however is absolutely brilliant.

FFXII can be saved by a decent storyline just like KOTOR.

Advertisement