Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrel Break In

Options
  • 30-01-2006 10:55pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What are peoples thoughts on this for full bore rifles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Buy gun.
    Fire some shots, clean occasionally, repeat as necessary. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

See I lke that idea, but there does seem to be a polar devision on the subject. Advice i was given was a lenthy breakin of cleaning after every shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

This would greatly depend on what cal. rifle you have.
    The really fast rounds like .223/22-250/.220swift this is very nessessery as the barrell heats up pritty quickly like after 3/4 rounds fired in sucession.this can cause slight pitting or abrasions on the rifleing of a new barrell. so it is not a good idea to fire 10/20 rounds quickly from a new barrell.
    1) lube barrell with rem oil.
    2) fire two rounds
    3) brush barrell with copper brush twisting as you push in and pull out.
    4) Repeat steps 1-3 4 to 5 times
    5) get some graphite powder put in soft brush put down barrell and leave.
    6) next time you use rifle lube barrell( to get all the graphite out
    7) after 5/6 rounds your barrell is getting broke in
    8) you can now fire as normal
    Note never let barrell heat up at the troath always let it cool before starting to fire again..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yes this does seem to be a tricky one, I suppose there's no harm in running Tom's cleaning drill cos if he's right then you just saved yourself a lot of stress and if he's mistaken, how bad you have a clean rifle. I'm getting a new rifle this summer so i'll defo try this out

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Get rifle from Dealer, remove all grease from bore and chamber, this is very important, as it can be dangerouse, due to pressure.
    Take to range, fire one shot, wait for 2 to 3 mins, fire second, wait again for 2 mins, then fire one more and let cool for 15 mins.
    Clean rifle well, repeat this till rifle zeroed.
    Throught the rifles life, clean every 5 shots, if you do this, it will last for several lifetimes.
    This is my experience, after shooting rifles for the past 18 years.
    I have a cousin with a .220 Swift, he has fired over 4000 rounds threw it, he has used the above method of cleaning of all the 12 years he has had the rifle. It still groups 1/2 inch at 100 and 1 inch at 200yds.
    If out and have only fired 1 or 2 shots and are not going back out the next day, clean as above, as rust will set in quickly and cause pitting.
    ALLWAYS, straight away, clean and dry a rifle right threw when coming in from the wet.
    One more thing, DONT use JB compound, it wears away barrels faster then bullets, i can tell you now, if you clean your rifle everytime you use it as discribed above, their will be no need to use JB compound.

• Advertisement

I cannt imagine i will clean it every 5 shots. Im im target shooting minimum I will put 20 rounds through it before im done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The principle behind most of these procedures is to smooth out any imperfections in the bore in a gentle fashion, the worry being that doing so quickly could lead to further erosion and magnification of the defects.

Personally, I don't have the patience for the shoot one/ clean / shoot one / clean type approach.

civdef wrote:
    The principle behind most of these procedures is to smooth out any imperfections in the bore in a gentle fashion, the worry being that doing so quickly could lead to further erosion and magnification of the defects.

Personally, I don't have the patience for the shoot one/ clean / shoot one / clean type approach.

Yeah and unless you have a room like that reloading guy pictured in the other thread you may be trying to do this in a field or on a cold range! :D

Im still interested to hear what people think/do when it comes to this.

Advertisement