Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What next for my gti (56k beware)

Options
  • 30-01-2006 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, ive recently bought a mkiv and have set aboyt sprucing her up a bit, its a 150bhp 1.8t, silver with black leather recaros :D

Anyway she is currently as pictured, i recently acquired the CH's from a VAG driver forum member and lowered suspension (to be fitted saturday)

I am also getting the stock exhaust modded with two stainless steel tips to point outwards (dont want a loud after market exhaust)

Other plans include brake upgrade and finally remap to circa 200bhp

My main point on concern is what to do with the exterior, car is fitted with ms design front and rear valance and skirts. And i had colour coded fogs which ive replaced with std black grill. the front valance has grown on me since i changed the fogs, and i like the skirts, but the valance does not match the rest of the kit and to me looks a bit much? i have a colour coded v6 rear apron which i may fit, but would that look wierd with the kit thats on it, ideally id like the valance that matches the kit but i cant find it.

Anyone any suggestions and any opinions (good or bad) on how the car looks are welcome

cyrusir-30012006008.jpg

cyrusir-30012006010.jpg

cyrusir-30012006011.jpg

cyrusir-30012006012.jpg

cyrusir-30012006014.jpg

cyrusir-30012006015.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Looks gorg! Very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Looks beautiful. Only one thing though I think doesn't go so well, The side skirts. They are too rounded, the front and back look really good and not too over the top, But the side's dont fit too well Imho. Alloy's are nice, A break away from the traditional ones.

One tip, Incase you are ever going to change them Gti rear lights, Don't. They look alot better then the Lexus style ones, Well especially on that car and do not ever try to tint the windows with that tacky silver. Tbh, I wouldn't do a whole lot more to the car but the one thing I noticed was the side skirts and just for the record, Im not saying it looks bad, It looks pretty good... but if i had to suggest something at all to change/mod, its the side skirts. Other then that... Looks lovely.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Love the wheels - am getting a set myself in the not too distant future. Not keen on the kit - although I normally do like the MS Designs stuff - the skirts are nice but the front and rear lips are a little fussy for my liking. Overall its lovely though.

Think I saw a set of Hella rear lights for your car before that are modelled on the A3 lights - they looked quite cool, doubt they'd cost a fortune. Here they are -
    VW_Golf_IV_RL_Red.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how about Mk5 style front headlights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

like the wheels, the kit is a bit cheap looking TBH. I think lowered and those wheels without the kit would be a lot better. Milltek Turbo Back Exhaust, some light tints, aero wipers front and rear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Id get rid of the whole kit. That car would look alot better without it in my opinion.

If you do want a bodykit id try source the r32 one. - http://www.wallpaper.net.au/wallpaper/automotive/Volkswagen%20Golf%20R32%20-%201024x768.jpg . It will be expensive but if you sold your current kit it could go towards.

The wheels are very nice but 99% of body kits and modifications look pants on Golfs. Remember the VW add campaign ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

fair enought comments, kit was anything but cheap, its about £620 unfitted and unpainted, that said i inherited it and wouldnt have bought it myself!!

Vevex, that kit you pointed out there, Looks savage. I think I have to go with scrapping the kit :(

Hj

Cyrus wrote:
    fair enought comments, kit was anything but cheap, its about £620 unfitted and unpainted, that said i inherited it and wouldnt have bought it myself!!

Would well believe it - the MS Designs stuff is seriously expensive - but it is excellent quality - regardless of whether people like the style or not.

Have to agree on the R32 kit looking great! If you did want to go for it, you'd get good money for the kit thats on it now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

remove the 1.8T and replace with an overbore VR6 G60 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Looks quite well Cyrus, the CH's suit it a treat. My younger brother is getting a set of 18" CH's for his new MkV.

Like whats already been said, the front and rear valance's are not flowing with the rest of the car IMO :( - the shape and design of them (more so the front one) just dont flow with the rest of your car.

I think the kit worked fine with the OE rims, but now that its fitted with the CH's the car is wanting/needing more.

A replica R32 front bumper would be best suited, but having said that as long as your liking it and are happy with it thats all that matters eh?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Assuming you haven't disclosed already, I think you should see what your insurer has to say about your mods. There's a good chance imho that you've invalidated the cover, or will be facing a hefty premium increase.

Btw I think your car is very nice - but that's not the point.

I think you should see what your insurer has to say about your mods. There's a good chance imho thta you've invalidated the cover.

I think youll find most insurers dont car about cosmetic modifications - my policy stipulates that changes to increase top speed need to be notified, nothing else. Still not telling them about my supercharger though...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I work in insurance, and cosmetic mods do actually count. Anything that makes the car more attractive to a would be thief is a "material" mod. Might be bodykit, ICE, alloys, racing seats etc.

Performance wise, anything that increases the capabilities of the vehicle in any way - accelertation, handling, top speed, noise, all need to be disclosed. So performance air filters, big bore exhausts, chipping, roll cages, lowering, big brake kits, etc. all need to be disclosed.

Every insurance policy is a contract of "utmost good faith" whereby the proposer tells the truth (including mods to that point) at proposal stage and promises to inform the insurer of any "material" fact that might be relevant to the assessment of the risk in question once the policy is in force.

Failure to do so can/will invalidate the cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Cyrus wrote:
    Hi all, ive recently bought a mkiv and have set aboyt sprucing her up a bit, its a 150bhp 1.8t, silver with black leather recaros :D
    I was ready to cringe when I clicked on the thread, but the car looks really well.

Don't do anything else to it!

Right now, your on 'tastefully customised' but 'twat' is a serious danger if you go too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

I think I'd get some privacy glass too (nice way of phrasing tinted windows :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Cyrus, car looks mega.
    How about some Angel Eye Projector Headlights or dual round headlights? (see link) Other than that, I wouldn't do anything else.

http://www.c3cars.com/parts.cfm?M=1&PMode=I&VIID=4991

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

looks good. wouldn't change anything really otherwise you might get a "boy racer" image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I think the car looks lovely, and when i get my 1.4 mkiv golf i will probably try get it to look like that ;)!!

looks good. wouldn't change anything really otherwise you might get a "boy racer" image

Don't, thats what looks horrible, Adding things like that, Keep it plain and simple.

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Get rid of the rear valance. The only reason I'd leave the side skirts on is because its probably bonded to the chasis and you would bust your b@lls trying to clean it up. The car is perfect as standard. The colour is perfect. Once you get it lowered you will have what already is; "A Class Golf"
    Don't put too much money into it. Your going to need it to buy petrol €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

Advertisement