Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a funny book?

Options
  • 30-01-2006 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I can find nothing funny to read! really, I love Tom Sharpe spike milligan etc
    any suggestions?
    penny

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Flann O'Brien - The Third policeman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

... a joke book!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

try Winterdance by Gary Paulsen http://tinyurl.com/cqhbp. one of the funniest books i've ever read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

disorder in the courts by charles sevillia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

Yes Man by Danny Wallace is one of the funniest books I've read in a good while. He says yes to all questions, suggestions and invitations for a year. True story as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Or if you fancy something a little offbeat, try anything by Terry Pratchett or Tom Holt - similar genres

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Anything by Gary Larson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Terry Pratchett, if you enjoy one book will love them all !
    Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers to the Galaxy - radio Scripts

JOhn Irving _ Hotel New Hampshire, very sad in parts, but characters and situations that are truly comic
    the lesbian that dresses up as a bear , the hotel made froma primary school so all toilets are miniature etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

I'm not a big fan of Terry Pratchett, but he does come highly reccommended.

Any of the Gary Larson books are always good for a larf. As are the Calvin and Hobbes books by Bill Watterson. Also, I absolutely fell in love with the Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Squee, and Filler Bunny comics. A bit different, but I've never laughed so hard reading something in all my life.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galalxy books are some of the best I've ever read. Completely off the wall so I say read them now.

The Men Who Stare at Goats was great. It's about some of the rediculous stuff the US military spend their money on. It's as baffeling as it is funny though.

So yeah, they're what I'd reccommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Totally agree with above two posts- Terry Pratchett, especially the Discworld books, or try "The Wee Free Men" by same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

penny1001 wrote:
    I can find nothing funny to read! really, I love Tom Sharpe spike milligan etc
    any suggestions?
    penny

never mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭penny1001

cheers, think i'll just buy a book of one-liners,then everyone will think i'm funny!

penny

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bill Bryson books are good if you like travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

The Best of Myles edited by Kevin O Nolan

Again Terry Pratchett

Catch22 by Heller

Home before night by Hugh Leonard (memoirs some very funny bits in it)

Commitments by Roddy Doyle

The best of Kevin Myers (not sure if thats correct title)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Round Ireland With A Fridge - Tony Hawk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

Yeah, loved Round Ireland with a Fridge. In my opinion, many of the funniest books are non-fiction. It's by Tony Hawks, rather than Hawk, is what I'd say if I were a nitpicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

/leaves bedroom, wanders into sister's room, picks up Round Ireland With A Fridge. Looks at cover. Wanders back into bedroom, sits down...

Damn.

I stand corrected.

Also, Bill Bryson's Tales From A Big Country, I think it's called, about the US, is always a funny read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I second Catch 22, and the Hitchhiker's guide. If you've read (and enjoyed) the hitchhiker's guide stuff, "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" is definitely worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I have to admit I found "The Ten Pleasures of Marriage and the second part The Confession of The New Married Couple" a hoot. You can read it online on project gutenberg.

Written in the 1600's it is in olde english which I like for starters, but the chief merit is that it's just such a sarcastic work, I had to endure laughing on the dart amid strangers.

But it's not everyone would gain enjoyment from it.

Excerpt from the first pleasure:
    Now, O Lover, till this time you have been indeavouring, slaving, turmoiling, sighing, groaning, hoping and begging to get from those slow and tardy lips, that long-wish'd for word of Consent; you have also sent many messengers to your Mistriss, to her Parents and Tutors, who were as able to express themselves as the best Orators, but could obtain nothing; yet at last that long desired Word, is once descended by the Draw-bridge of her lips, like a rich cordial upon your languishing heart. You have vanquish'd all your Rivals. Oh who can imagine your joy! What you think, or what you do, still your thoughts glance upon your happiness! your Mistriss now will be willing; denials are laid aside: only ther's a little shame and fear, which canot of a sudden be so totally forgotten, because the marriage is not yet concluded. Well, O Lover, who could desire a greater happiness then you now possess! For what you will, she will also: and what she desires, is all your pleasure. You may now tumble in a bed of Lillies and Roses; for all sour looks, are turn'd to sweet smiles, and she that used to thrust you from her, pulls you now every foot to her. Yea, those snow-white breasts, which before you durst scarce touch with your little finger; you may now, without asking leave, grasp by whole handfuls. Certainly, they that at full view, consider all this rightly; who can doubt but that you are the happiest man in the World? O unspeakable pleasure!

Advertisement