Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurt: Original NIN or Johnny Cash?

Options
  • 30-01-2006 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

No fanboys please, only post if you've heard both versions. I personally prefer the original, there's so much more feeling in it, and the piano and drums add so much.

NIN or Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt? 22 votes

Nine Inch Nails'
    0%
    Johnny Cash's
    100%
    MiCr0StevenJimi-SpandexLoGiEPh3n0mCreatureradiospanfitzMunkyHedprojectmayhemlordgoatEoin MadsenJC 2K3brianthebardhooriBeecherJaggy SnakeParsleyFlipflipDragan 22 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭lovell

You can't get more emotion than Cash singing it, dedicating it to his wife. I know its a cover but it's way better IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The emotion in Johnny Cash's version I feel is much more evident, especially when you watch the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Have to give it to cash especially has Reznor has said that version is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cash hands down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I think Cash does the better version, the video adds to this but Cash's voice just makes it far more emotional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

Cash has something in the song that the NIN can't touch. The emotion in Cash's version the NIN is good but doesnt leave you with your hairs standing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The Cash version is a million times better imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

They're both great but Cash owns that song for all time now.

(*My lawyers have asked me to point out that the estate of Johnny Cash does not own 'Hurt')

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I used to love Hurt by NIN until I heard Cash's version. Now Trent singing just sounds like a moaning teenager, upset at the world for no reason. Cash was mulling over a life hard lived with a spirit that (as much as I love NIN) Trent just doesn't have. Cash all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I like the original but I think Cash's version is more powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Flipflip

Johnny Cash's
    Nine Inch Nails.

Cash was good, but he didnt write the song, he changed very very little about it, it wasnt much different and to me that defeats the point of doing a cover.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Johnny Cash's
    I've seen NIN play Hurt live, and it lamost brought me to tears.
    I think Cash's version was great, but in a very different way.
    NIN version has more pain in it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The video is sentimental and cliched tripe, but Cash's version is still miles better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Its weird, Cash's video makes every guy get emotional but when girls watch it they are just like "So?".
    Anyhew I do prefer Cash's version. If he had done the original then who ever covered it would have been seen as doing a poor imitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Flipflip wrote:
    Nine Inch Nails.

Cash was good, but he didnt write the song, he changed very very little about it, it wasnt much different and to me that defeats the point of doing a cover.

He may not have done a thumping dance mix of it but he did do something very different to NIN. He flipped the song completely from its nihilist pit of despair in the mind of a young man into a song about growing old and all the trouble he's gone through without resorting to self-pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

^^^^^

good post.

johnny cash's version by a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I prefer cash's version but i think thats just because i've never like nine inch nails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Have to say I prefer Cash's version too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Cash all the way... this video only adds to one of the best covers ever.http://www.losthighwayrecords.com/e/cash11403.html :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Johnny Cash's
    I can't seperate the two. Cash's one is more popular, with most people not having a clue that it's a cover, and there's more emotion in a certain way, you could say it's more "powerful", but I dunno, the verse of the NIN one is much quieter and when you're really down it really hits an emotional nerve...

I say NIN do the verse better but Johnny Cash does the chorus better :p

Oh and Cash changed "shít" to "thorns", grrr....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

JC 2K3 wrote:
    with most people not having a clue that it's a cover,
    Dunno about that. From experience, I would say that most people know it's a cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Johnny Cash's
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    Oh and Cash changed "shít" to "thorns", grrr....

trent does that too when he's playing on tv or whatever to be nice for the fcc...

i thought cash totally stole it away from NIN when i first heard it. but i heard hurt again by NIN during the promo tour for with teeth on radio1 with zane lowe and nin totally took the song back as their own.

but that's not to discredit johnny cash's version, which is stunning, but different. it has a different kind of emotion in it. and there couldn't be a better song for a man like that to go out with

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Johnny cash all the way, true grit and emotion right there, without even considering the video. Renzor sounds like a moany anemic cúnt compared to cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Johnny Cash's
    I heard cash's version first, so I went out and bought the downward spiral to see how they compare. NIN's version is the better, hands down. Cash just sounds like a tired old man waiting to be handed some money for singing the song and the piano accompiament does nothing compared to seething pain that comes out of the ending of the NIN version.

NIN all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

Strange... I just listened to the two versions back to back the other day...
    The NIN version feels empty and drained, angry and hate-filled by turns...
    Cash's version is sad. Like previous posters have said, Johnny puts a depth of emotion into it that NIN doesn't...
    It's like Reznor is looking at the dark place he's at now and seeing it can only lead to a bleak and pointless future, while Cash is looking at where he is now and seeing how his life has passed and accumulated to nothing...
    I'm a fan of NIN, but in this case I think Cash's version touches me more, and is therefore I prefer it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I think both are great. I wouldn't be able to pick one or the other. NIN's version is more haunting while Cash's is more emotional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Stain Boy

Without question Johnny Cash proves with his version that the adage of 'origonal is best' isn't always accurrate. Cashs version blew me away the first several times I heard it, and its effect on me hasnt dulled much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Johnny Cash's
    I find Trent Reznor's voice a lot more expressive than Johnny Cash's. It's an interesting interpretation of the song, but in itself it never reachs the same emotional height of the original, imo. I think Johnny Cash's death so soon after it probably colours a lot of people's perceptions of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think Johnny Cash's death so soon after it probably colours a lot of people's perceptions of it.

Perhaps, but not for me personally! I didn't even like what I'd heard of Cash when I first heard that tune but it just blew me away (I think I even started a thread here about it so strong was my reaction to it and trust me I don't start threads about single songs for the hell of it). I didn't even know he was dying either at the time, really knew little about the guy at all tbh.

Speaking of which if anyones interested......

DOCUMENTARY: Johnny Cash
    Channel: BBC 1 Northern Ireland
    Date: Monday 6th February 2006
    Time: 00:00 to 01:00 (starting in 1 day)
    Duration: 1 hour.
    The Last Great American.
    Documentary profiling the life of the legendary country music star Johnny Cash, who died in 2003 shortly after completing the retrospective Unearthed, a 5 CD-set of the acoustic performances with which he resurrected his career in the last decade of his life. Featuring contributions from his daughter Rosanne and son John Carter Cash, manager Lou Robin and fellow musicians including Little Richard, Kris Kristofferson and Elvis Costello.
    (Repeat, Subtitles)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Johnny cash by a mile for me. Exquisite video too. Practically cry when I see it :)
    Good man johnny, always wore black!

Advertisement