Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber Fireplace Surround, How to fix?

Options
  • 31-01-2006 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi

I wonder would anybody have any advice on how to fix a wooden fireplace surround in place.

There is an existing marble fireplace and fake gas fire. Both of these are staying. A maple timber surround is to be added. Some of the existing marble fireplace will be left exposed.

I am wondering if people would drill the marble? or use silicone or similar?

I'm asking these questions because there doesn't seem to be another way to hold the surround at the bottom. At the top I can attach to concrete wall but at the bottom??? If I drill the marble it's pretty irreversible so that's why I'm thinking silicone. Also stainless steel Kitchen splashbacks are attached to plasterboard using silicone (this is the recommended method as per the manufacturer instructions).

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Attach the surround using some simple brackets. These will be screwed into the wall of the chimney brest top and bottom of the surround. before you fix them just chase out a small recess an then fill the holes hiding the brackets before painting over eh voila.

Eddie

PS hope you dont have wallpaper

Advertisement