Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic sign Dion Dublin

• 31-01-2006 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Just heard it on the news. Dont see what he is going to bring to the club. I mean they already have decent enough strikers to play in Scotland(Hartson, Zurawski, Maloney and Beattie).

Pretty pointless signing imo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He's only signed for 3 months to make up the numbers. If it means we'll see less of Keane at centre half than I'm happy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

He must be old now...

3 years younger than a player Spurs put a bid in for last week so that makes me feel better. :) He's 36.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

eirebhoy wrote:
    3 years younger than a player Spurs put a bid in for last week

who was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Sheringham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eirebhoy wrote:
    3 years younger than a player Spurs put a bid in for last week so that makes me feel better. :) He's 36.

But not half the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

Is he going to play up front or at the back? I think he's a pretty usless player and imo always has been!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Definitely wins the prize for the most bizzare transfer window signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I certainly was surprised to see this one. I can only assume Strachan is going to try and stop the leaky defence with Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i assume he has been signed as cover for central defence.thanks to injuries and african nations the celtic back line has been very thin recently.
    it doesn to take a genius to play in scotland, dublin wont play much but least he is an extra option for a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ok So they let Sutton go on a free who is 3 or so years younger than Dublin and a better player imo, what the hell????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Sutton wanted to go and was out of contract in the summer anyway.

To recognise his services to the club they allowed him to leave on a free, thus getting him a nice place on a decent team.

The key part here is wanted to go!

What bit dont u understand?

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I understand what happened but I would have thought they would have replaced him with a younger better player not Dion. Just because a player wants to go doesn't mean you roll over and let him get whatever he wants.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

this is quite a ridiculous move,
    i think sutton was always going to leave if there was premiership interest,
    but dublin is just a pointless signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Very strange one this, seems to be more penny-pinching on the Celtic board's behalf.

irish1 wrote:
    Ok So they let Sutton go on a free who is 3 or so years younger than Dublin and a better player imo, what the hell????
    He's not a replacement for Sutton. It's a choice between Dublin for £100k over 3 months or nothing. Strachan has been forced to play Roy Keane in defence and Stan Varga in defence. Varga is about 5th choice. If another centre half was to go the league is hanging by a thread so someone was needed as backup for 3 months.

super_furry - I'm suprised that the Celtic board are splashing their cash so much tbh. :) 4 signings in January is not like Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The link is when Strachan managed Coventry City.
    Can we expect Noel Whelan too?
    Who knows.... maybe the other Keano? :D

"There's only 2 Keanos...."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

He is around the same age Gary McAllister was when he went to Liverpool and that was a huge success,so you just never know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

He is obviously being signed as a central defender due to Celtics lack of options there at the moment. That said I dont think he is a good player anymore. Struggled to get a game at Championship level. Not the best move on Celtics behalf. He isnt gonna cost much for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

if they have trouble defending hoof balls, he might be able to help
    otherwise i dunno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

This is what happens when you sign players on pre-contracts (Caldwell) a stop gap is needed in the mean time. Dublin is carrying an injury as it is , Bobo will be back in a couple of weeks, so this guy may not play too many games. I was shocked when I saw this first and greatful for the 8 point lead otherwise god knows who the hell GS would have got in. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dub13 wrote:
    He is around the same age Gary McAllister was when he went to Liverpool and that was a huge success,so you just never know.

Again not half the player. plus anyone who breaks their own neck headbutting an opponent isnt someone I hold in high regard.

Advertisement