Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems the fashion show has been cancelled.

• 31-01-2006 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭

Not of general interest I know, but I only found out through another model so there could be someone else who doesn't know.
    edit: due to insufficient sponsorship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

orly.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Very disappointing tbh. My mate was stage manager last year and I know a lot of effort went into it.

Despite the fact that I have no other info, I'm going to go with my gut feeling and say that this reeks of apathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

ha ha what a load of bolox

Despite the fact that I have no other info, I'm going to go with my gut feeling and say that this reeks of apathy.

i'm glad to hear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

Very disappointing tbh. My mate was stage manager last year and I know a lot of effort went into it.
    Was that Mark? I remember he was a lot of help during the Grafton St. promotion.
    Apathy on the part of the committee, sponsors or UCD students?

• Advertisement

what happened all the money they raised last thursday nite at the black and white thing in the vaults!! guess they will be donating to charity*

*or going on the piss with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Ha ha!!

The only thing orange people were useful for is taken away! Ha!

I mean, it was a huge success last year and this year they couldn't get sponsors?....what's that I smell??.....oh yeah, bs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Umaro wrote:
    i'm glad to hear that.

Sorry, who are you?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yep, this is a lovely new desk I'm sitting at in the library. A desk with sockets and an internet connection. And books. There are books here too.

I guess the Brady Administration decided that education is also important to University students. Beats the hell out of me, but I guess a fashion show wasn't going to help us step up in the race to the top of the OECD charts.

Hey I have a great idea! We can still save the honorable institution that is the UCD fashion show! All we need is some Quinn guys, Quinn girls and a smattering of Arts students!

We'll construct a walkway type thing out of tables and let them walk down it in the middle of Arts.

Everyone walking by will get to witness it for free and as per usual no-one will actually give a toss that it's on!.....not giving a toss for free....no costs!....I like it!

Come on guys, we have bigger worries in our life than this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

:eek: DAMMIT! Who's going to pay for my all over tan now!!! :mad: :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

Yep, this is a lovely new desk I'm sitting at in the library. A desk with sockets and an internet connection. And books. There are books here too.

I guess the Brady Administration decided that education is also important to University students. Beats the hell out of me, but I guess a fashion show wasn't going to help us step up in the race to the top of the OECD charts.
    I don't know if the University funds it. Could they not just give the money straight to the Down Syndrome Centre if that's what they wanted? Also, I thought the decision to cancel was taken by the producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭GusherING

I think UCD funded a lot of it last year because it was for the 150th celebrations. That kind of funding was once off I'd reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MiniMetro

Now all that needs to happen is to the abolition of Ryan Tubridy, fashion mullets, male "fashion" items in pink and any other "new" Ireland type things knocking about.

Quote from TV3 or RTE (whichever one that has that black guy doing the fashion, think it's TV3): (A model comes out modelling a pair of jeans among other garments, various waffle follows about how great all the clothes are, then they come to the price of the jeans)

Presenter: "So how much are the jeans?"
    Fashion Guy: "They're €595 from ....."
    Presenter: "€595 that's very expensive, is it not?"
    Fashion Guy: "No, no a good pair of jeans is an investment"!!!!!

Where did it all go so wrong??

"For what died the sons of Roisin?"

Sorry, who are you?

what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I have to admit i think its a good thing that the fashion show is scraped. There is a lot of events that can raise money for charity.The fashion show isnt a fun event for charity.Its horrible the way those auditions are held where thousands try out and only a hundred or so 'models' get through.A lot of girls get upset over this.The rehersals drag out over nearly the whole college year which cant be beneficial at the end of the day-and what for-so you can walk up and down a runway posing!And lets be honest most people dont go to the UCD fashion show for the clothes. I remember last year they had a picture of all the models wearing all this procative suspenders and garters with the headline 'temptation thigh land'. Its different if your a model in milan but thats got to be pretty degrading being an 18year old student from belfield on the front of the sun.

And no I'm not jealous-i have no problem with people being paid for moddeling.But for a charity event it was one of the most bitchiest thing i've evr been involved with but this could have got better when julian left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

yeah i agree with panda, although there will be less money going to charity which is never good, there are far more fun and less exclusive ways to raise money for charity

*cough* Science day *cough* over 70 000 last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Oh Yay!! A charity event has gone under! There is a God(obviously hates down syndrome though).

To be honest it didn't reflect well on UCD charity events.

It was a self-serving vanity show.

On the other hand Law/B&L day raised €23,000 for Temple Street last year and involved students getting up at 7am to collect on the streets of Dublin.

Support it this year Tuesday 7th of Feb!

Down with the Fashion show and all who reside therein!

What's Julian Benson going to do for a job now?? Well if he's stuck i'll gladly give him €10 an hour to repeatedly run into a wall.

• Advertisement

my flatmate was devestated when he found out yesterday!! he was a model thought he was goin to cry and i was trying to hold back laughing in his face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I think it’s a terrible shame, all those hopes and dreams of being recognised as one of the pretty people, even just for one day, being able look down on all the uglier people from way up above on the catwalk where you’re the centre of attention, the way it should be, being able to tell all your friends, relatives, grandkids that you were once a model, dashed! Oh and the charity stuff too, of course.

was just reading in the tribune there, its only been provisionally cancelled! guarantee within a week they will have a sponsor, all publicty i guess, knobs

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

tintinr35 wrote:
    i guess knobs
    You guess knobs? Surely not.

I would actually pay off a potential sponsor just to see the tears on all the sad orange people!

I think the fashion show is like saying, oh let's go and kill some foxes cos we enjoy it (oh but its really for the good of mankind....otherwise we'll have millions of angry foxes roaming the streets with kalashnikovs!)

TheVan wrote:
    I would actually pay off a potential sponsor just to see the tears on all the sad orange people!

I have a few grand in the bank, it's yours if you want it.

...actually I better keep a few hundred; i want to get at least a full weeks work out of Julian.

humbert wrote:
    I think it’s a terrible shame, all those hopes and dreams of being recognised as one of the pretty people, even just for one day, being able look down on all the uglier people from way up above on the catwalk where you’re the centre of attention, the way it should be, being able to tell all your friends, relatives, grandkids that you were once a model, dashed! Oh and the charity stuff too, of course.

could not have put it better myself

even if it was for charity it seems so horribly horribly elitist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

The whole fashion show is just ridiculus...

i do recall a great incident from last year though, female friend of mine was approached by one of the fashion gestapo

Fash-ist: Hi would you loike to be in the fashion show?
    My mate: No thanks, its not for me,
    Fash-ist: Its okay! you dont have to be pretty or thin or anything!

How do these people even manage to get into college?

ah... sports management... Therein lies all of Belfield's mysteries...

Anyway, Ding dong the witch is dead... Glad there's no fashion show, all we have to do now is get rid of Qsoc, B+L and C+E and we should be rolling just fine.

The idea of a Fashion show is fairly repugnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

The idea of a Fashion show is fairly repugnant.
    Even though it's for charity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

The end justifies the means... Just as long as it's going to a good cause, and ppl were actually willing to involve themselves in this sh*t, I couldn't see the problem tbh.

Good luck trying to get the oompa-loompas to do anything altruistic now...

Advertisement