Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems the fashion show has been cancelled.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

The whole fashion show is just ridiculus...

i do recall a great incident from last year though, female friend of mine was approached by one of the fashion gestapo

Fash-ist: Hi would you loike to be in the fashion show?
    My mate: No thanks, its not for me,
    Fash-ist: Its okay! you dont have to be pretty or thin or anything!

How do these people even manage to get into college?

ah... sports management... Therein lies all of Belfield's mysteries...

Anyway, Ding dong the witch is dead... Glad there's no fashion show, all we have to do now is get rid of Qsoc, B+L and C+E and we should be rolling just fine.

The idea of a Fashion show is fairly repugnant.

HCH, you are full of it. It's so easy to attack the fashion show. The point is that it's for charity and for a laugh. Not everyone is going to get a place in the show. That's life and happens all the time.

And what's this muck about Sports Management? Do you even know a single person in that course?

even if it was for charity it seems so horribly horribly elitist.

Elitest, please explain how? Try this and then come back to me
    www.dictionary.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

why do i have to explain it? its so blatantly obvious.

you're actually putting them on a pedestal (well catwalk) to be admired for their looks and fashionable clothing. fashion is about elitism. why is Dolce & Gabbana so desirable? why dont they sell it in Dunnes Stores?
    It's so easy to attack the fashion show. The point is that it's for charity and for a laugh.

i imagine loads of girls were laughing all the way home when they were told they couldnt be a model and walk down the runaway for X reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Personally, I agree with Seb. Its for a good cause at the end of the day.

I do think some of the girls take it way too seriously though, but you just have to laugh at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MiniMetro

They should get these two hipcats back running it, that should get the show back on the road!!!

Two Hipcats

While we're at definitions breadmonkey, here's one to go with the photo(second line sums it all up)
    Wikipedia

Also this one's not bad:
    F*cklack: One who is a f*ck and lacks everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Anyway, Ding dong the witch is dead... Glad there's no fashion show, all we have to do now is get rid of Qsoc, B+L and C+E and we should be rolling just fine.

Why do things like the Fashion Show, the C&E, QSoc, etc bother you? I just pay no attention to them and that works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Pythia wrote:
    Why do things like the Fashion Show, the C&E, QSoc, etc bother you? I just pay no attention to them and that works fine.
    It's funny, you don't even have to actually ignore the C&E and QSuc, neither of them have been too vocal this semester. In fact, I'd forgotton there even was a Qsuc until you brought it up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

HCH, you are full of it. It's so easy to attack the fashion show. The point is that it's for charity and for a laugh. Not everyone is going to get a place in the show. That's life and happens all the time.

And what's this muck about Sports Management? Do you even know a single person in that course?

Its not a laugh for the hundred off girls who tried out and didnt get in.That has to be pretty soul destroying for them.I knew a girl who auditioned last year and who I went to secondary school with.She was quite large in school but when i saw her in college she had lost loads of weight and she seemed to be alot more confident.When we were at the callbacks she didnt get through to the second round and i just felt so sorry for her.She was really upset and blamed it on her weight.If this sort of thing happens to even one person then it is not fun as you say breadmonkey.
    Also those people giving out the leaflets about the audidtions should be arrested for cruelty.When they were giving out leaflets for the auditions last year I was walking with two malaysians in my class.The fashion show girl totally ignored the two malaysians and handed me one.In my opinion the two malaysians i was with were gorgeous but just cos they were wearing headscarves and not tall and blonde they werent even noticed!!
    As I said before there is a lot better ways which arent so negative and a lot better craic than parading in a thong and suspenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Marx

I wonder will the bop's get refunds on the sandwiches they've been puking up religiously in preperation for it?

Spare me tbh. Selection happens all over the place. For example, how do you pick a rugby team? You pick the best players. I don;t hear anyone crying out for the heartbroken jocks who didn't make the team.

Thicker skin needed methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Breadmonkey, you are in a minority.

Also the fashion show is not like a rugby team being picked. It picks on people's physical attributes, the ones people feel most sensitive about.

I know some girls.

Most of them would be highly upset if some judged them not good enough looking but would just get pis5ed off if they weren't selected for a team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Spare me tbh. Selection happens all over the place. For example, how do you pick a rugby team? You pick the best players. I don;t hear anyone crying out for the heartbroken jocks who didn't make the team.

Thicker skin needed methinks.

You have to train hard and work hard to be picked for a rugby team.Often those who werent born natural athletes can change this with dedication and training.The only thing that can change your looks is plastic surgery so comparing the fashion show to picking a rugby team is not justified.Being picked for the fashion show you are being picked soley for the way you look,which is something you have no control over.To be honest,I tried out for the movies fashion show and was lucky to get a place.The only reason I tried out was because the charity was 'Aware' an organisation that I do a lot of fundraising for because it helps victims of depression which i think is a worthwhile cause particularly in students.No one in the fashion show gave a toss about the cause and the rivalry and bitchiness between the girls was awful!It was quite funny from my perspective when 'model of the year' was announced to see all the fake congratulations for the girl who won!I think anything that judges you on your looks should not be promoted on campus.And I agree with the van, a lot of girls on campus are very sensitive in relation to their apperance.

Although breadmonkey is completely in the wrong with regards to his defence of the fashion show he is right about the thicked skinned thing. When you keep going on about girls who get upset you are distracting attention away from the real issue i.e. how utterly contemptible everybody who is involved in it is. In my opinion anyone who trys out for the fashion show and doesn't get in is as detestable (if not more so ) then the people who are actually a part of the show. I hope their tears will eventually assist them in rethinking their "life-plan".

At least the people who actually get in the show are sure of how truly awful they are and exactly where they belong whereas the people who don't get in have actually overestimated how awful they are and want to become part of something they are not qualified for.

The most upsetting thing for me is the handful of genuinely attractive girls who actually participate in it each year: what a waste of gee. To think that they were lucky enough to be blessed with such looks and to then feel that the place to be is with a load of bi-sexual men in trucker hats wearing more beauty products than they are ,girls with bleach blonde hair and half of Cement Roadstones yearly output on their face and an aging "flamboyant" "nightclub" promoter hanging around with a load of students because all of the people of his age were born a little too early to accept another man wearing pink.

I guarantee you Jesus is looking down thinking "God, I think these kids ( and "flamboyant" elderly gentleman), have seriously missed the point"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Seems like a waste of time to me. It's a pretentious way to make money.

Whatever next? A bodybuilding competition?

Pass the sick bag (no pun intended what with it being a modelling show)...

Breadmonkey, you are in a minority.
    Well, you won't win any prizes for that observation but exactly is your point?
    The only thing that can change your looks is plastic surgery so comparing the fashion show to picking a rugby team is not justified
    You're right, my analogy was flawed, I was tyring to make the point that you are going to be judged by some criterion no matter what.
    Although breadmonkey is completely in the wrong with regards to his defence of the fashion show
    Please refrain from making blanket statements if you aren't even arsed backing them up. And I'll disregard your w@nker jab so the rest of us can have a discussion.

Panda I'm afraid you're just basing everything you say on anecdotal evidence.

I honestly don't understand why everyone here is so bitter about the fashion show. Frankly, you have all come across as bitchy and prejudiced as those you seek to make fun of.

e.g.
    how utterly contemptible everybody who is involved in it is.
    How many of these people do you know, seriously?
    I hope their tears will eventually assist them in rethinking their "life-plan".

what a waste of gee. To think that they were lucky enough to be blessed with such looks and to then feel that the place to be is with a load of bi-sexual men in trucker hats wearing more beauty products than they are ,girls with bleach blonde hair and half of Cement Roadstones yearly output on their face and an aging "flamboyant" "nightclub" promoter hanging around with a load of students because all of the people of his age were born a little too early to accept another man wearing pink.
    Another definition for you? http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=prejudiced

I wonder will the bop's get refunds on the sandwiches they've been puking up religiously in preperation for it?
    Irrelevant tripe.
    I know some girls.
    Irrelevant tripe.
    i imagine loads of girls were laughing all the way home when they were told they couldnt be a model and walk down the runaway for X reason.
    Indeed, you do "imagine". Is that it? Anything even remotely solid to base your arguments upon?

Look, I;m not going to go back throught this entire thread and dredge up everything, I think I've made my point.

*Awaits flames and nonsense posts*

Whatever next? A bodybuilding competition?

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

So some girls dont get picked for the fashion show, boo-hoo.

It's a fashion show for f'ucks sake, and these things are soley judged on looks and how well you'll look on stage.But of course, your average amy will try for a place, totally deluded about her own attractiveness, and be utterly dejected when she fails.

Lesson being : Don't enter these things if your sensitive about your looks.

Mini-metro : You sound really bitter

daRobot wrote:
    Mini-metro : You sound really bitter

Freud is alive and well!!

Well worked out there, i would have hoped i got that across. Luckily, my bitterness is completely justified, and a welcome sensation. I lack any real motivation in life and can be a bit too laid back in my approach to it, I need things that annoy just as much as i need things that make me happy. Things that annoy me help motivate me to get out and do something about it. Luckily in this case the task has been accomplished for me and the vortex of human decency that is the UCD fashion show has finally been abolished.

My to do list now contains the following:
    1. Ryan Tubridy
    2. Brendan Courtney
    3. TV3
    4. The Late Late Audience
    5. The General Public

Don't ask me what I'm going to do about any of these because, I am going to do absolutely nothing( I know i said things that annoy me motivate me to do something, but the feeling has passed) Merely saying I dislike them and thinking about how I dislike them makes me happy, that's enough for me.

Lots of love,
    French & Morrogh productions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

You're all jealous because all of you are ugly!!!!!!!! :D

TBH who really gives a damn about how up their own arses the oompa loompas or whatnot..... the fashion show is for a good cause at the end of the day and it does far more good than harm. Yeah it may be a bit elitest and taken too seriosuly but no one forces you to become part of it. Leave them be.

and the best post of the thread........
    daRobot wrote:
    Lesson being : Don't enter these things if your sensitive about your looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

MiniMetro wrote:
    What's Julian Benson going to do for a job now?? Well if he's stuck i'll gladly give him €10 an hour to repeatedly run into a wall.

Julian wasn't involved last year - hence no title sponsor... and none again this year. MorroghFrench Productions are new, and don't have the contacts as far as I can see. As much as I abhorr the fashion show, the committee worked damn hard last year, and I'm sure the situation was the same this year. The only real problem with the Fashion Show is the models, from where I sit. We shared an office with the Fashion Show last year and the majority of the committee (with one or two exceptions) were the nicest people you could meet, and really worked bloody hard. Whether you like the fashion show or not, and whether you agree with it or not, it's still not a good thing that it got cancelled. For one thing, the Down's Syndrome centre is losing out on money. For another, there are a lot of people who already put in long hours trying to get everything ready effectively for nothing.

That said, by sharing an office with the fashion Show last year, we came into contact with the models and dancers on occasion. While the dancers were lovely (for the most part) the female models had to have been the snootiest heifers I've ever met. When we answered the door to them, and if F.S. Committee members weren't there, they looked down on us as though we weren't worth the sh!t on their Guccis if they were in groups, and then were fine on their own. They expected us to take messages for them, run around finding people for them and generally o whatever might cause them to break a nail. Plus, they seemed to play up to the thick stereotype.

Still, it had it's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

panda100 wrote:
    Its not a laugh for the hundred off girls who tried out and didnt get in.That has to be pretty soul destroying for them.I knew a girl who auditioned last year and who I went to secondary school with.She was quite large in school but when i saw her in college she had lost loads of weight and she seemed to be alot more confident.When we were at the callbacks she didnt get through to the second round and i just felt so sorry for her.She was really upset and blamed it on her weight.If this sort of thing happens to even one person then it is not fun as you say breadmonkey.
    Surely people shouldn't audition if they are worried by the thought of being rejected? It's a fear that most of us experience every day in some way or another. I understand that alot of people really aspire to get into the fashion show, but like in other walks of life, certain people aren't cut out for certain things and you have to accept that.

I take your point about those handing out the fliers though, that is pushing it a tad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement