Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange but true; Unusually delicious dishes

• 31-01-2006 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Spinach & Smoke Salmon Lasagna!

A remarkable discovery the other night; when emptying out the last of the fridge, by accident we managed to invent/ concoct a spinach & smoke salmon lasagna which is really delicious. More remarkably, the tastiness is matched by the health / nutritional aspect – how bizarre!:eek:

Anyhow ingredients we used were spinach (frozen), smoke salmon, lasagna pasta layers (x 3), cheese sauce (packet based with milk), with a few slices of Brie cheese on top, finally a few scrapings of Parmesan cheese.

Total time required – 25 minutes.

Maybe we reinvented the wheel; something as tasty, healthy, and time-efficient as this must be known already elsewhere, but ive never come across it before, and a finer meal I could not recommend! :)

Any thoughts? Has anybody else happened upon an unexpectedly delicious dish by fluke???

JS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

JamesSmith wrote:
    Any thoughts? Has anybody else happened upon an unexpectedly delicious dish by fluke???

I dont think fluke comes into it much if you know what works together, and possibly think you are not giving yourselves enough credit, having said that the spinach lasagne is the wheel reworked ;).
    I do this more or less anytime I buy a load of veg then come in a few days later and notice that it needs to be used, so I make something up, or anytime that it is close to payday and I have to open the store cupboard to see what's there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Ah yes, 'Mystery Night' Cuisine, the most exciting way to cook. I've stumbled across many new dishes that became regulars this way. The following potato dish, for example, has appeared in many different and more refined versions, yet this quick version was a massive hit.

Cut, (to save time) & boil some floury potatoes till tender, drain, and leave in colander. Put the saucepan back on the heat and throw in a good decent glug of olive oil. Throw in some hot chilli sauce of some description, I use Sambal Oleck. Peel 3 or 4 cloves of garlic and slice finely into the hot oil. I have a little microplane for this. Wait till it's golden, then mush all the spuds through it, mashing some and leaving some in bits. Add maldon & pepper, maybe some more oil if it's dry.

So good.

I also make mystery one pot gumboesque rice, veg and stock thingies, with whatever cheese I have in the fridge stirred through at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ah, so I'm not the only one! In fact some weeks when I just can't be arsed to think up menus for the week, I just wander round the shops like a demon possessed and just grab anything that looks interesting and throw it in the trolley. Then every night is a "Ready Steady Cook" night, with the first 3 or 4 days being reasonably "normal", but getting steadily more bizarre as the week progresses, and the choice of ingredients more restricted.

The problem is though that when I do accidentally stumble on some previously undiscovered magic combination, I never write it down, and then when I try and recreate it "on purpose" weeks later, it never quite turns out the same, somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I tend to do something similar with fritattas. Whatever's in the fridge gets cooked into a glorified omelette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

It may be a well known combination, but it was new to me: A couple of years ago I got a starter of a Ceaser salad, with a poached egg on top. So simple, yet so delicious, it can easily be re-created at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I tend to do something similar with fritattas. Whatever's in the fridge gets cooked into a glorified omelette.
    Ah yes- and when you use too much veg and it ends up as some sort of wobbly scrambled egg dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

That's what my souffles look like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Peanut butter mixed with icecream.
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sophiez23

Boredom leads to great discoveries so her are some of mine:
    Brown pitta breads, butter and grapes and eat together=gorgeous..mmmmmm!
    Ice-cream and chips: in McDonalds=yummy!
    Frozen Peas: eaten frozen=heaven and they're perfect for picking on if you're bored and feel like eating for the sake of it!

Things not to try:
    Coca Cola and Popcorn=seriously manky
    Rice, soya sauce and cheese=tastes like cardboard gone wrong, yuck!
    Plain butter=EW! Not nice at all......
    A whole lemon: especially if you eat it like an apple! You feel it for a few days afterwards....I shudder at the thought of doing that again!

And a tip: no matter how much you love marshmallows, never toast them on an electric oven...that was a lesson well learnt!

Advertisement