Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suduko vs Crosswords

Options
  • 31-01-2006 8:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

What do people think of Sudoko as opposed to crosswords.?

Suduko can be challanging enough but at the end of the day what has been achieved? Has anything new been learned? Is the skill it develops any use in other situations? All we are doing is arranging 9 digits in an order that has not further use. Is it just a well marketed trendy pasttime?

Crosswords on the other hand are equally challanging and develop word skills / vocabulary which have an independent future value.

What do you think?

Sudoko vs Crosswords - Which is better? 32 votes

Suduko
    0% 0 votes
    Crosswords
    50% 16 votes
    Don't know / Don't care
    43% 14 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    6% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

i haven't got the patience to do crosswords, and if you do them in the same news paper, they keep repeating the clues.
    sudoku is always different. even on the off chance that you get the same one twice, you'll have forgotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Crosswords. You know you can solve the Sudoku, all you have to do is keep plugging away, but a crossword can get the better of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Moved on to Kakuro. Tired of Sudoku.

Does serve a purpose, though. It trains your brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I'd go with sudoku or any of those japanese puzzles. I suppose it just depends on the type of brain you have...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Hagar wrote:
    Crosswords on the other hand are equally challanging and develop word skills / vocabulary which have an independent future value.

only if you do it with someone else or cheat by using a dictionary/theasaurus

the good thing about sudoku, as said before,

is that it can always be solved, where as with the crossword you don't always know the word and if you don't you can't solve it without outside help.

personally, i voted both the same.

they are both good but server different pusposes,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Misprints in crossword clues are very annoying, misprint in sudoku grids are fatal. The one I do in Var Matin today had a 6 where there should have been a 7. The answers are printed on another page on the same day otherwise I would have spent hours looking for a flaw in my logic that didn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

i like sukodu myself the odd time, when im doing one, i am determined to finish it, and im happy when i do! but i dnt do crosswords/sukodu regularly so its not the same old thing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I like crosswords - cant stand the sight of Sudoku (Maybe becuase I'm not a logical person - they say you can do Sudoku if you are logical, I dont know)

Advertisement