Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Keyboard

• 31-01-2006 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

just bought a keyboard as i want to learn how to play but as im firstly a drummer i cant read music so just wondering is there a really basic keyboard book which will also teach you to read music in it too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Reading music (especially piano/keyboard) is a result of good teaching and good practice. If you are serious about learning keys, I would get both a teacher and a graded series, such as the John Thompson books, and commit a year to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I agree - lessons are a great start. Learning to read music would help too.

I never had keyboard lessons and I've been playing for nearly 15 years but I can read music and only for that I wouldn't have a prayer.

You can go on the web and get the basic fingering for chords and then use guitar chord websites to get the chords for tunes you like. Get a basic book that will teach you how to play scales and read music at the same time.

I suppose you really need to fine your own level of learning. The main thing is don't give up - every day is a school day!

Good luck with your new keys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If you want to learn keyboard I wouldn't reccomend taking piano grades as once you get to about grade 4 it's nearly impossible as the instruments are so different. If you want to learn music theory there are plenty of beginners books that will teach you the basics but for fingering technique you'd need a keyboardist/pianist to teach you, it's not something that can be learned from a book.

Advertisement