Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Window Deadline Deals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Kingp35 wrote:
    Itend to agree with you. He has caught the attention in Brentfords FA cup games this season. Who knows though, as Lemlin has pointed out it is possible for players rising the divisions so fast to be a success. I must say though that Stead is hardly setting the league alight at the moment

He isn't but, considering Blackburn paid 1 million before selling him off for 1.8, and he scored the goals that kept them in the division that season, he was a great investment.

I still think he's a good striker. His confidence is low and I think if he could regain it he'd be a good player. That ain't going to happen at Sunderland though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Lemlin wrote:
    Hopefully he won't get a run of games for Blackburn. If he even scores a goal, you can remind me.

i happen to think he is a good player, and im hoping he will start tomorrow night, your reply above shows you are not even going to give him a chance? i hope he scores a good few to remind you himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

i happen to think he is a good player, and im hoping he will start tomorrow night, your reply above shows you are not even going to give him a chance? i hope he scores a good few to remind you himself

if a player on loan at your team is playing it means one of your own actual players isnt getting a run of games. Everyone hates loan signings for that reason.

kdjac

When was the last time he even scored for Liverpool? Blackburn are pushing for a European place, they should be signing better players than Liverpool's reserve strikers.

KdjaC wrote:
    if a player on loan at your team is playing it means one of your own actual players isnt getting a run of games. Everyone hates loan signings for that reason.

kdjac

yeah but at the moment, there is one fit striker in kuqi, its obvious blackburn need a striker, and its obvious there was no money to buy one, hence having to buy bentley to free up a loan spot for pongolle.

i dont hate loan signings

Lemlin wrote:
    When was the last time he even scored for Liverpool? Blackburn are pushing for a European place, they should be signing better players than Liverpool's reserve strikers.

i remember him scoring twice in the one game not so long ago, do some research - its obvious hughes has and this was the best option available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Pongolle changed the Luton game when he game on and scored two good goals. Seem to remember he did the same against Olympiakos last season. Not a world-class player by any stretch but I think he'll do well for Blackburn if given a chance.

yeah but at the moment, there is one fit striker in kuqi, its obvious blackburn need a striker, and its obvious there was no money to buy one, hence having to buy bentley to free up a loan spot for pongolle.

i dont hate loan signings

I do hate loan signings when they are of the quality of Pongelle. I'd prefer to see Bentley or Pedersen played up front than Pongelle starting.

Lemlin wrote:
    I do hate loan signings when they are of the quality of Pongelle. I'd prefer to see Bentley or Pedersen played up front than Pongelle starting.

Just be thankful you don't have Rasiak... :eek:

He'll do well as a sub or as cover, I doubt Hughes would be as naive as to put him in ahead of any of the strikers Blackburn already have. You might be thankful of him if you pick up a few injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

Thats only because the teams actual player isnt good enough for a run of games.

It seems managers have no problem with loan signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Lemlin wrote:
    Hopefully he won't get a run of games for Blackburn. If he even scores a goal, you can remind me.
    You're shooting him down without giving him a chance. He's a decent player. It may be a radical thing to say, but he saved Liverpool's bacon in the Champion's League last season. Came on at half time against Olympiakos and completely turned the face of the game. I'm not 100% sure but I'd bet he has a fairly good goals per game ratio. He saved 'Pool F.A. Cup embarrassment against Luton a few weeks ago as well, coming on and scoring two. I'm sure it isn't easy to get proven, prolific goal-scorers, why not reserve judgement until you see him play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Murphy to Spurs apparently....can't see why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jasus its great is'nt it, most Pool fans did'nt want to loose Flo and they don't want him (if Lemlin is typical of Blackeyes fans).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

2345: Danny Murphy seals his move to Tottenham with just minutes to spare. The 28-year-old midfielder moves to White Hart Lane in a deal worth up to £2m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

mike65 wrote:
    Jasus its great is'nt it, most Pool fans did'nt want to loose Flo and they don't want him (if Lemlin is typical of Blackeyes fans).

Mike.

Blackburn are lucky to have him. I bet he will do well there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Looks like Liverpool failed with a last minute bid for Jermaine Defoe. Region of 12 million pounds I believe.

He (Spud) sort of went from hero to zero at Charlton...

Mike.

Sajan I'm happy if that deal fell through. Too much money for fitful quality. How many strikers do we need????

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

mike65 wrote:
    Sajan I'm happy if that deal fell through. Too much money for fitful quality. How many strikers do we need????

Mike.

Just one and Rafa is still looking for him :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    Well at 12 million it would have been a strange piece of business. Saw him tonight and he just wasn't happy sitting on the bench. Looked Lively when he came on. Cant blame him being annoyed when you look at Rasiak playing ahead of him..

Crouch, Fowler, Stevie, Carra and Defoe all on the one team.. Would have made interesting digesting for everyone who complains about the lack of Englishness around the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

KdjaC wrote:
    Just one and Rafa is still looking for him :D

kdjac

Nope, we found him last Friday, just wasnt exactly where we left him.

Stekelly wrote:
    Nope, we found him last Friday, just wasnt exactly where we left him.

Surely Rafa is looking for a proven young goalscorer rather than one who is argueabley passed it and can only paly 20 minutes every match ? Liverpool need a world class striker badly.

Crouch - team player, can be great, not good enough to be first choice striker
    FSP - on loan
    Cisse - donkey
    Morientes - cant remember the last time he has impressed me, passed it
    Fowler - hasnt proved himself in a long time, unfit, may be useful for grabbing a few goals towards the end of games

Come home Michael Owen! :(

Crouch, Fowler, Stevie, Carra and Defoe all on the one team.. Would have made interesting digesting for everyone who complains about the lack of Englishness around the club.

Funny you should mention that, Rafa spoke about developing an English core yesterday with Fowlers signing. Maybe Pual Anderson will see first team action sooner than we think.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

That's a good signing for Spurs getting Danny Murphy. With that said, he adds another cog to an already cluttered midfield. I suppose them getting rid of Michael Brown earlier paved the way for him to join up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Danny Murphy...i was skeptical at first, but could be a great signing! I thought he would be wasted coming to Spurs, but then i thought, Spurs got rid of Mendes and Brown so it cant be too bad! Is reid still a tottenham player?

Danny Murphy...i was skeptical at first, but could be a great signing! I thought he would be wasted coming to Spurs, but then i thought, Spurs got rid of Mendes and Brown so it cant be too bad! Is reid still a tottenham player?

Yes, he played well enough for 20 minutes tonight before picking up a knee injury and being substituted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Tusky wrote:
    Come home Michael Owen! :(
    Meh, good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Lemlin wrote:

Don't worry you will be reminded ad infinitum the second that he starts banging them in for ye. At least your manager knows a good deal when he sees it, shame that the same cannot be said for the supporters.

Don't worry you will be reminded ad infinitum the second that he starts banging them in for ye. At least your manager knows a good deal when he sees it, shame that the same cannot be said for the supporters.

I can't see Blackburn having a need for a player who hasn't scored in the League this season. The fact that he couldn't get a place ahead of any of the three strikers at 'Pool, who have managed 10 goals in 37 starts between them this season says it all really.

If he starts banging in goals, you can mention it regularly. I'd love if he proved me wrong because it means Blackburn would be getting goals. I don't think even the most avoid Liverpool supporter could see Pongelle doing well for Blackburn now.
    Originally posted by mike65

Mike.

I think I am judging from the official fan site, and the reaction of my some of my friends who are Blackburn fans. Pongelle isn't what we need at the minute. Some are happy because he has speed but I'd still prefer to see Pedersen or Bentley start ahead of him up front if we were stuck.

As pointed out by someone above, he'll be backup IMO and little else.

Is this the same bentley who you also said that you did not want, has he gone up in your estimation sice you said that you did not want him ? I think it is a bit presumptuous of you to suggest that avid liverpool fans can't see pongolle doing well at blackburn. His pitch time has been limited at Anfield but if you read any of the Q&As that go on on the lIverpool website, many of the players see him as both the quickest and trickiest of the players on the team. Pongolle will be taking a step down to play for Blackburn instead of challenging for automatic CL spots, they are challenging for Uefa cup positions or at the outside a qualifiers spot. When a young CL winner comes to your club and he is written off immediately by "fans" of that club, I think it says alot about the fans. At least Sparky seems to know what he is on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Quite a decent player PSG is, hasn't had a decent run in the team, but definally one for the future. I however don't think Benetiz sees it this way, and this is a chance for him to prove him wrong. I think he needs to set Blackburn alight to have a chance to stay with Liverpool next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think it says alot about the fans. At least Sparky seems to know what he is on about.

Not having a go at anyone here, just football fans in general. I always find it amusing when a fan of any club comes out and says "we shouldnt have signed him" as if they think their knowledge of the game is superior to the manager, a guy who earns a living from the game. Happens at every club at every level.

Aside, did Blackburn also sign a centre half? Same question goes about Fulham?

Aside, did Blackburn also sign a centre half? Same question goes about Fulham?

A young Norweigan.
    Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Is this the same bentley who you also said that you did not want, has he gone up in your estimation sice you said that you did not want him ? I think it is a bit presumptuous of you to suggest that avid liverpool fans can't see pongolle doing well at blackburn. His pitch time has been limited at Anfield but if you read any of the Q&As that go on on the lIverpool website, many of the players see him as both the quickest and trickiest of the players on the team. Pongolle will be taking a step down to play for Blackburn instead of challenging for automatic CL spots, they are challenging for Uefa cup positions or at the outside a qualifiers spot. When a young CL winner comes to your club and he is written off immediately by "fans" of that club, I think it says alot about the fans. At least Sparky seems to know what he is on about.

I did not want Bentley as a striker. He'll do as a winger, but that's about it, just do. I'd prefer to get someone better as I think he can be good in some games, and ineffective in others.

Pongelle won't be takling a step down. He couldn't get his place at Liverpool anyway so I see little evidence of him helping Liverpool at CL qualification.

And I find your point about it saying it says alot about the fans very funny. Would you be happy if Liverpool signed a reserve striker from another team? Blackburn fans obviously feel the team can do better and IMO they're right.

I would imagine Sparky signed him as a last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Lemlin wrote:
    You think Hughes could of used his Welsh connections to get Earnshaw. He's what we need. A goalpoaching finisher to play with Bellamy.
    Interesting when someone slates a player they know nothing about. :rolleyes:

Sinama was the best U16 striker in the world when he was in that age group. That shows the potential he has.

He has struggled at Liverpool for three reasons:
    1. He's been very unlucky with injuries.
    2. He was too small and slight for the physical demands of English football
    3. (mainly due to 1 and 2) he never got a prolonged run in the team.

This season he has bulked up a lot, built up his strength and has just made it to a 100% fitness level after being injured again up to around Christmas. He is two footed, lightning quick and very tricky. He made his name as a youngster as a goal poacher, but can play deep or on the wing either. IMO if he's going to make it in the Premiership, it will be as an out and out goalscorer.

Why did Hughes pick Sinama over Earnshaw? - because Sinama is simply so much better than Earnshaw.

There absolutely is a questionmark over whether he will get goals if he gets a run of a few games. Unproven. Hughes obviously understands that he has the potential though.

Interesting when someone slates a player they know nothing about. :rolleyes:

Sinama was the best U16 striker in the world when he was in that age group. That shows the potential he has.

He has struggled at Liverpool for three reasons:
    1. He's been very unlucky with injuries.
    2. He was too small and slight for the physical demands of English football
    3. (mainly due to 1 and 2) he never got a prolonged run in the team.

This season he has bulked up a lot, built up his strength and has just made it to a 100% fitness level after being injured again up to around Christmas. He is two footed, lightning quick and very tricky. He made his name as a youngster as a goal poacher, but can play deep or on the wing either. IMO if he's going to make it in the Premiership, it will be as an out and out goalscorer.

Why did Hughes pick Sinama over Earnshaw? - because Sinama is simply so much better than Earnshaw.

There absolutely is a questionmark over whether he will get goals if he gets a run of a few games. Unproven. Hughes obviously understands that he has the potential though.

And how exactly do you make this assertion that Pongelle is better than Earnshaw? If I had a choice of him or Pongelle, I'd take Earnshaw every time. Its proven that he can score goals.

Its all well and good if Pongelle was the best in the world in his age group (and I'd like to see a source for that) but he hasn't proven his ability. I've spent years listening to mates who support Liverpool going on about how Le Tallec was the new Zidane. He certainly doesn't look it at Sunderland on loan.

The amount of players who have been signed for potential and failed to produce the goods is a long list and I'm not even going to get into it. The bottom line is that Blackburn need a proven goalscorer who can score goals alongside Bellamy NOW, not in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

gimmick wrote:
    Not having a go at anyone here, just football fans in general. I always find it amusing when a fan of any club comes out and says "we shouldnt have signed him" as if they think their knowledge of the game is superior to the manager, a guy who earns a living from the game. Happens at every club at every level.

steady on!

you'll have the armchair managers howling for you blood for questioning their ability to dictate tactics to professional managers!

besides, the last time i made the mistake of voicing the same opinion, i was asked 'how do you know they are better, we are just not in the position to make the decisions'

which makes me wonder why the irish team is so crap. surely there are 3 million better managers than steve staunton :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Lemlin wrote:
    I've spent years listening to mates who support Liverpool going on about how Le Tallec was the new Zidane. He certainly doesn't look it at Sunderland on loan.

Theyve been saying a striker was the new zidane?:rolleyes:

Davei141 wrote:
    Theyve been saying a striker was the new zidane?:rolleyes:

When was Le Tallec not a midfielder/striker? I think he plays as a striker for Sunderland but I always thought he was an attacking midfielder, and so did they by the looks of things.

Lemlin, most Liverpool suporters on this boards rate Sinama above most of the other Liverpool strikers ( ok thats not saying much ). He should have been getting his game at Liverpool and if given a decent run of games I am 100% confident he will knock in plenty of gaols. Why dont you give him a chance and let his football do the talking ? I would much rather see any other striker leave above him ( bar Crouch ).

• Advertisement

Le Tallac was never the new Zidane that was Bruno Cheyrou! :lol: I never saw much in Le Tallac and allways thought Pongo was better.

Mike.

Sinama-Pongolle scored a remarkable 12 goals as France reached the final of the 2001 UEFA European Under-16 Championship only to lose 1-0 to Spain. He enjoyed better fortune in September the same year, scoring nine times as France won the FIFA World Youth Cup - including hat-tricks against the United States and Japan - to set a new tournament record and also collected the golden ball as the competition's best player. He then stepped up to U21 level.

From http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UCL/Players/Player=58897/index.html

I am sure that you already knew that though Lemlin, it makes it even funnier that you can slate hime knowing absolutely nothing about the guy.:rolleyes:
    __________________________________________________________________________________

A little bit on Le tallec too FYI
    Le Tallec netted an impressive five goals at the 2001 European Under-16 Championships, and paired with Sinama-Pongolle in the forward line.

After a trial period with Arsenal he eventually chose to join Liverpool.

He netted three times and won the Silver Ball as second best player, behind Sinama-Pongolle, as France lifted the 2001 World Under-17 crown

From http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/profile?id=21949&cc=5739

Tusky wrote:
    Lemlin, most Liverpool suporters on this boards rate Sinama above most of the other Liverpool strikers ( ok thats not saying much ). He should have been getting his game at Liverpool and if given a decent run of games I am 100% confident he will knock in plenty of gaols. Why dont you give him a chance and let his football do the talking ? I would much rather see any other striker leave above him ( bar Crouch ).

9 goals in 62 games for Liverpool is why I don't want to give him a chance (and god knows what opposition those came against, two were against Luton from the accounts here). Like I said, Blackburn are pushing for European qualification, we should be signing better players than Liverpool's fifth choice striker.

I've seen him play for Liverpool and, while I admit I don't have near the knowledge of any of the Liverpool supporters on here of his skill, I can't see him being a success at Blackburn, or even making a small impact.

I would of preferred if Hughes had kept Jansen and Thompson. I expect though that Pongelle was a last resort because he didn't get who he wanted and he'll bring in someone better in the Summer.

Sinama-Pongolle scored a remarkable 12 goals as France reached the final of the 2001 UEFA European Under-16 Championship only to lose 1-0 to Spain. He enjoyed better fortune in September the same year, scoring nine times as France won the FIFA World Youth Cup - including hat-tricks against the United States and Japan - to set a new tournament record and also collected the golden ball as the competition's best player. He then stepped up to U21 level.

From http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UCL/Players/Player=58897/index.html

I am sure that you already knew that though Lemlin, it makes it even funnier that you can slate hime knowing absolutely nothing about the guy.:rolleyes:
    __________________________________________________________________________________

A little bit on Le tallec too FYI
    Le Tallec netted an impressive five goals at the 2001 European Under-16 Championships, and paired with Sinama-Pongolle in the forward line.

After a trial period with Arsenal he eventually chose to join Liverpool.

He netted three times and won the Silver Ball as second best player, behind Sinama-Pongolle, as France lifted the 2001 World Under-17 crown

From http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/profile?id=21949&cc=5739

I'd prefer if you stuck to the issue rather than attempt petty little "I know more than you" arguments. I've already acknowledged that I don't know as much about Pongelle as Liverpool supporters. Why would I? Just like I wouldn't expect you to know as much about Jemal Johnson and Sergio Peter at Blackburn.

I've read his report on Soccernet here: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/profile?id=21951&cc=5739

While it says he scored alot, I see nothing about him being the best player in the world in his age group. He was named player of the tournament, but how does that make him the best player in the world in his age group?

Also, underage level isn't going to do alot for Blackburn, is it? Surely if he had all this talent, Benitez, who I rate highly as a manager, would be able to see it, and give him a chance ahead of his current misfiring forwards.

Need I remind you of another Liverpool striker from France who showed promise when he was young:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/profile?id=9282&cc=5739

While chances were at a premium at club level, his reputation was growing due to his fine performances with the French national side. He scored six times as France won the European Under-18 Championships in the summer 2000.

Says it all really. From what we've seen of Pongelle, he could be just another Cisse.

Why do you keep moving the goalposts ? You asked for evidence that he was the best player in the world at his age group. IN the youth WORLD CUP (you know where the best international teams in the world play against each other) he was the best player and top scorer, he was also top scorer in the under 16s for the youth Eropean cup. Surely that gives you what you were looking for.

Why does a manager sign anybody except to get the best from them for the team, he obviously sees something in him that your superior footballing brain has not and what he sees is potential to play well within his team, if he did not he would not have taken him. Why did MGP come in ? There was no evidence that he would set the prem alight, but potential was spotted pursued and now realised.

The fact that you repeatedly refuse to recognise anybody elses arguments except your own despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary often makes threads that you are involved in tedious at best.

Bravo WWM and gimmick.

• Advertisement

Why do you keep moving the goalposts ? You asked for evidence that he was the best player in the world at his age group. IN the youth WORLD CUP (you know where the best international teams in the world play against each other) he was the best player and top scorer, he was also top scorer in the under 16s for the youth Eropean cup. Surely that gives you what you were looking for.

Why does a manager sign anybody except to get the best from them for the team, he obviously sees something in him that your superior footballing brain has not and what he sees is potential to play well within his team, if he did not he would not have taken him. Why did MGP come in ? There was no evidence that he would set the prem alight, but potential was spotted pursued and now realised.

The fact that you repeatedly refuse to recognise anybody elses arguments except your own despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary often makes threads that you are involved in tedious at best.

Bravo WWM and gimmick.

He was the tournament's best player. How does that make him the World's best? There could have been plenty of players not at that tournament who were better. He did not win any trophy which labelled him "the world's best player" at that age, did he?

I have recognised people's arguments and I'm giving my opinion. I'm quite happy to sit back and talk to you in six months about Pongelle's record at Blackburn. We'll see how he fared then (sadly, I am of the opinion that it won't be very well) but, like I said, I'd love if he was a huge success.

I've listened to other people's opinions and I'm giving mine. Nowhere do I see above where I ignored someone's opinion. Could you point it out please? I am addressing everyone's. I may not agree with them but that does not mean I am ignoring their opinion.

MGP was proven at senior level, and was on the fringes of his international team. He was performing week-in, week-out for Tromso, even if it was only a Norwegian club. Pongelle is not performing at senior level for Liverpool.

I don't see the fact that he was a good striker when he was 16, even the best in the world, as contrary evidence that he will set the world alight at Blackburn. I would see his record of 9 goals in 62 games at senior level as evidence that he most certainly won't. Like I've shown, plenty of misfiring strikers, like Cisse, can perform at youth level but never fulfill that promise.

How many of those games did he start in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Isn't Pongolle often played on the right wing?

How many of those games did he start in ?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=21951&cc=5739

20. And he managed just 5 goals in the French league with Le Havre in 24 starts and 6 sub appearances in 2002/2003. He did manage 7 yellow cards though ;)

Last season with Liverpool, he managed 4 goals in 11 starts and 15 substiture appearances. Hardly the goal rate of the prolific goalscorer that people like The Rooster says he has the potential to be.

No that is true, however he was being utilised in the right wing position rather than as a striker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement