Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Window Deadline Deals

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

No that is true, however he was being utilised in the right wing position rather than as a striker.

For every season mentioned? Including the one at Le Havre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Not sure TBH and to check would expend more energy than I wish to on this subject. You believe what you like, he has, for the first time in probably three full seasons, maintained his fitness and is prob up around the 100% now. He is unproven but wasn't everybody at some stage. Hughes who has teken an ailing blackburn team and turned them into a squad that compete on a level with the mid table teams is impressive considering what he picked up and he has done this through both shrewd transfer moves and a new motivation within the team. If FSP proves to be a flop, as you claim he will then I would say that not only will I be surprised, but so too will Hughes who knows his football.

Not sure TBH and to check would expend more energy than I wish to on this subject. You believe what you like, he has, for the first time in probably three full seasons, maintained his fitness and is prob up around the 100% now. He is unproven but wasn't everybody at some stage. Hughes who has teken an ailing blackburn team and turned them into a squad that compete on a level with the mid table teams is impressive considering what he picked up and he has done this through both shrewd transfer moves and a new motivation within the team. If FSP proves to be a flop, as you claim he will then I would say that not only will I be surprised, but so too will Hughes who knows his football.

And I respect your opinion but I'm also giving mine. Fact is that I'm disappointed that Blackburn have had to sign an unproven, young striker when they should be aiming to sign players of a higher calibre, given our league position.

Hughes knows a huge amount about his football and he was taken Blackburn far but I, and quite a few Blackburn Rovers supporters, have been questioning one or two of his decisions of late, even though we are sure they will work out well in the end.

I'm not sure about WhiteWashMan or Gimmick's view, which you chose to bravo. Fact is, I support the club. Surely I should be allowed give my opinion as a supporter. Perhaps they should say the same next time some United supporter says how crap Fletcher is or a Liverpool supporter comments on Cisse. You could argue that Rafa Benitez knows far more about football than any of us (which he definitely does) but it didn't stop him signing flops like Josemi.

Btw, I'm still waiting for evidence of:
    The fact that you repeatedly refuse to recognise anybody elses arguments except your own despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary often makes threads that you are involved in tedious at best.

Like I said, I can't see where I've done that in this thread. If you can, please highlight it or retract your statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Lemlin wrote:
    9 goals in 62 games for Liverpool is why I don't want to give him a chance (and god knows what opposition those came against, two were against Luton from the accounts here). Like I said, Blackburn are pushing for European qualification, we should be signing better players than Liverpool's fifth choice striker.

Wonder how many of them were 5 minute appearances at in the 85th minute ? Lots. He was also played on the right wing. Its hard for a striker to score goals when he cant form a relationship up front. He should NOT be Liverpools 5th choice striker. I rate him above Morientes, Cisse & Fowler, as do many other Liverpool supporters. Its one area that I have always been critical of Rafa. I felt Sinama should have been given a much better chance.

Lemlin wrote:

I would imagine Sparky signed him as a last resort.

And how exactly do you make this assertion that Pongelle is better than Earnshaw? If I had a choice of him or Pongelle, I'd take Earnshaw every time. Its proven that he can score goals.

Need I remind you of another Liverpool striker from France who showed promise when he was young:

Says it all really. From what we've seen of Pongelle, he could be just another Cisse.

I don't think even the most avoid Liverpool supporter could see Pongelle doing well for Blackburn now.

Speaking on behalf of liverpool fans, dismissing any evidence about one player by quoting stats about a different player then using the line "Says it all really" as if this is some sort of fact about pongolle. Smacks of deperation there. The way that you coninually forget that he has scored goals in the CL, and cups also showa that you are only trying to manipulate stats to prove your point at the expense of the quite valid points made by others.. You see for me this is me educating you about a new signing of yours who you think is rubbish.

For you is it some nature of vendetta that rolls on and on...? Does seem that way.. Retract my statement, what is this court ?

Internet...

Serious Business.

Tusky wrote:
    Wonder how many of them were 5 minute appearances at in the 85th minute ? Lots. He was also played on the right wing. Its hard for a striker to score goals when he cant form a relationship up front. He should NOT be Liverpools 5th choice striker. I rate him above Morientes, Cisse & Fowler, as do many other Liverpool supporters. Its one area that I have always been critical of Rafa. I felt Sinama should have been given a much better chance.

So far this season, the shortest he's had in a game in the PL was 16 minutes, most of the time he has got twenty or above. He has actually started nearly as many games as he's come on in (started 3, sub in 4).

He hasn't got a decent run in the team, that's clear to see but he's played 270 minutes of league football for Liverpool this season and hasn't even got a jammy tap-in to his name.

I don't have stats for how many minutes he played but he did start 6 games the season before and, complete with his ten sub appearances, only managed 2 league goals.

The fact remains that, in the two and a half seasons he's been with Liverpool in the PL, whether injured or not, he's managed the grand total of 4 goals.

Speaking on behalf of liverpool fans, dismissing any evidence about one player by quoting stats about a different player then using the line "Says it all really" as if this is some sort of fact about pongolle. Smacks of deperation there. You see for me this is me educating you about a new signing of yours who you think is rubbish.

For you is it some nature of vendetta that rolls on and on...? Does seem that way.. Retract my statement, what is this court ?

Internet...

Serious Business.

I'm still waiting to see where I ignored someone's opinion. Your big writing and fancy font hasn't changed that. The fact that this is all you can come up with speaks of desparation. Where have I spoke on behalf of Liverpool fans? I've mentioned things my friends said, forgive me if that's not allowed. Its still not ignoring someone's opinion.

I've put forward the stats for why he hasn't proved himself at senior level. I'm still waiting for stats to show that he will. My point about Cisse was to show that a player can easily impress at youth level and then flop. It was addressing several people's points about Pongelle doing well at youth level, so how is it ignoring someone's opinion? How does it smack of desparation to compare like with like?

Let me see, Pongelle - young, French, plays for Liverpool, is a striker, impressed at youth level for France.

Let me see. Cisse - young, French, plays for Liverpool, is a striker, impressed at youth level for France.

If anything, I'd prefer to have Cisse because he at least has proven himself at senior level in France and played for France several times at senior international level.

I suppose it smacks of desparation to, say, compare Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler too, does it? I'm unaware also that I had a vendetta against Pongelle. I doubt I've even mentioned him on this board until yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Any chance you two could take this outside? Please....:(

Mike.

Cisse is far from a flop, he has filed to impress at Liverpool but was top scorer in French League. (Just filling in the gaps in your footballing knowledge)

I could compare stats for Pongolle and Henry, both were young and french and played in france, which would show that Pongolle will turn into one of the best strikers in the world if you choose. Potential is what he was bought for, potential is what Mark Hughes sees and what you continue to completely miss. That is the opinion of those here and that is what you continually ignore. That he has potential is beyond doubt, that that potential will spell end results in an injury free run of games (something he has not had at liverpool really) is what should be discussed.

Still no explanation of why you completely disregard the goals that Pongolle has scored in Cup competitions, are they somehow less pertinent or is it just because that would make your bashing a little less justified.

How about we let him do his talking on the pitch and see who was right after he gets a few games under his belt.

Cisse is far from a flop, he has filed to impress at Liverpool but was top scorer in French League. (Just filling in the gaps in your footballing knowledge)

I could compare stats for Pongolle and Henry, both were young and french and played in france, which would show that Pongolle will turn into one of the best strikers in the world if you choose. Potential is what he was bought for, potential is what Mark Hughes sees and what you continue to completely miss. That is the opinion of those here and that is what you continually ignore. That he has potential is beyond doubt, that that potential will spell end results in an injury free run of games (something he has not had at liverpool really) is what should be discussed.

Still no explanation of why you completely disregard the goals that Pongolle has scored in Cup competitions, are they somehow less pertinent or is it just because that would make your bashing a little less justified.

How about we let him do his talking on the pitch and see who was right after he gets a few games under his belt.

At least you're going back to what I said several posts about - How about we let Pongelle do the talking. I pointed out above about Cisse and the French League. He has been a big 15 million flop at Liverpool though, would you disagree?

I don't regard Cup goals because they came against teams like Luton. If you go back to my original point, I have never argued that Pongelle dosen't have potential. My main argument is that Blackburn need a goalscorer NOW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Murphy has passed a medical, but apparently wants more money.
    Ghaly (the Egyptian I mentioned in the transfer rumours thread) has either failed a medical, or there's a problem getting a work permit.
    Daniel Levy is in Madrid and has bid €20m for Torres (this was reported on the radio this morning, but is probably based on web rumours) Torres is agreeable to the move (allegedly) but Am are worried about the fan's reaction and are mulling over the offer, they will probably try to hold out for more money.

Oh how I wish the first two didn't work out, and the third did...

I cannot believe Spurs have gone another transfer window without signing a competent (read: can score goals) striker, if Mido doesn't get his arse back to WHL quick smart I can see our hopes of European football (any European football) fading fast...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dont worry, everyone else seems to be losing at the moment as well.
    im sure we'll pass utd ina few weeks ;)

see, this is what a few wins will do to me, confidence for all games :)

Advertisement