Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avaiability Checker

• 31-01-2006 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi,

I have recently purchased an apartment in Dublin and i want to check what Broadband providers are going to be in my area,however i do not have a phone line and thus no number .as my apartment is the first finished on the site i have no other phone number to check for the availablility of broadband.

Is there anyway i can check for this? i DONT want to connect my phone line with Eircom and pay the connection fee and then to be told they wont supply broadband

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

Unless you go with the wireless option your snookered here. The only ways which broadband can be supplied that I know of is:

copper (Phone line, POTS), wireless, cable (NTL), or Satelite.

So unless you call a wireless provider that will be able to tell by your address alone if you qualify, call NTL or are willing to pay for Satelite (Expensive) you`ll have to get in a telephone line without any guaranttes that you`ll qualify as it depends on the distance to the exchange the quality of the copper line and whether or not your on an old style carrier. These can`t be checked unless the line is in place. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

How much does it cost to activate an eircom line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

What area are you in? People may be able to tell you nearby places with BB. Try those providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If you're in Dublin, it's fairly unlikely that you'll fail the test. Whereabouts more specifically is your apartment? There may be options like Smart available to you, and they rarely fail to deliver service. And indeed NTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ring 1890252123. they can check by address but only if there's a line in situ if i recall correctly. they'll be able to check your neighbours adress if you don't have a line. it costs 121.93 to get a line in but i think its free at the moment if its line in situ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Try asking the folks in the other apartments, if they've got phone / broadband.
    If phone only, ask nicely if they could put their number in the line checker at www.smarttelecom.ie and inform you of the results. (Or just ask them for their number)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Try asking the folks in the other apartments, if they've got phone / broadband.
    If phone only, ask nicely if they could put their number in the line checker at www.smarttelecom.ie and inform you of the results. (Or just ask them for their number)

How would they do that with no internet. :D

Disclaimer (I am aware of dial up, it was a joke)

Advertisement