Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

29.99 eircom bb

• 31-01-2006 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

According to the upload/download speed changes on Eircom, the 29.99 home starter package doesnt exist anymore.. But you can still order it online.. 39.99 home starter has merged into home starter plus with 20gig cap, 29.99 home is 10gig cap.. Is this correct?

What about limited contract times on the eircom products?

Can you buy a network card from Eircom, seeing that it's only the wifi router that comes free with the 29.99 and upwards packages?

Is 5mbit really the fastest speed you can get on adsl or will eircom not switch to adsl2 like smart bb?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

I signed up for the home starter package last month for €29.99 for six months with the 6GB cap. I now have a bill for €195, a 20GB cap, and I haven't got a clue what the hell I've been charged for.
    Trying to decipher the eircom bill is like trying to translate latin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

Any chance you went over your download cap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Look here: http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0130968362.1138732415@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchaddglidhgkfcefeceiedffndffj.0&cid=BroadbandIntroRes&site=Res&chanId=-536883873

The €29.99 offer is still there. As far as I know the download cap has been raised from 6gb to 10gb. I have just got eircom broadband and they told me that if the prices where to go up then they would have to notify you in writing. Anyway, if you want to know for sure ring 1901, and querie it.
    Let us know how you get on.

Let us know how you get on.
    I will, but the idea of having to call them and go through all that horsesh1t is just depressing.
    The 10GB download cap isn't much use to me - I'd need at least 20 (nudge nudge wink wink), so If it comes to that, I'll probably stay with the €39.99. It's just I thought that they'd mention it first. So much for the free upgrade. Why did they increase my d/l speed, my cap, and my account fee without my asking?
    I suppose I can't give out before talking to them first, to be fair.

OK so I finally found the stomach to call eircom and query my massive €200 bill. There was a €50 entry, and two €33 entries I didnt understand, and after calling them - guess what - I STILL DON'T!!!
    Guy said that €50 was for two months rental in advance, which, before vat, makes sense.
    One of the €33's was for line connection, which he explained I would have been charged for if I hadn't subscribed during the "promotional" period. Therefore, I had been refunded - ready - €27! Where the other six quid has gone is anyones guess, but whatever.
    Still with me? The other €33, he explained was for line rental, charged in advance. He tried three times to explain to me why It looks like I've been charged, in advance, twice, for the same thing, but I felt stupid, and it seemed to make sense to him.
    I'd also been beaten down by the 20 minute wait before I got to talk to him, so I left it.
    Now what pisses me off about this is the fact that a €29.99 per month broadband account can turn into a crippling €200 phone bill, after all the "recurring charges" and hidden extras. It would be fine if eircom would give you an idea of your actual net bill before subscribing.
    And as for that bloody bill - I'd have more chance of deciphering heiroglyphics on the side of a pyramid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Ryaller wrote:
    OK so I finally found the stomach to call eircom and query my massive €200 bill. There was a €50 entry, and two €33 entries I didnt understand, and after calling them - guess what - I STILL DON'T!!!
    Guy said that €50 was for two months rental in advance, which, before vat, makes sense.
    One of the €33's was for line connection, which he explained I would have been charged for if I hadn't subscribed during the "promotional" period. Therefore, I had been refunded - ready - €27! Where the other six quid has gone is anyones guess, but whatever.
    Still with me? The other €33, he explained was for line rental, charged in advance. He tried three times to explain to me why It looks like I've been charged, in advance, twice, for the same thing, but I felt stupid, and it seemed to make sense to him.
    I'd also been beaten down by the 20 minute wait before I got to talk to him, so I left it.
    Now what pisses me off about this is the fact that a €29.99 per month broadband account can turn into a crippling €200 phone bill, after all the "recurring charges" and hidden extras. It would be fine if eircom would give you an idea of your actual net bill before subscribing.
    And as for that bloody bill - I'd have more chance of deciphering heiroglyphics on the side of a pyramid.

On a slightly different (but related) note I'm porting to Blueface from Eircom. I had to port from UTV - Eircom (took 10 days) and it's taking EIGHT WEEKS to port to Blueface. They're looking for €73 from me (two months LR in advance and another month for half a month!!) Smacks remarkably of a two months line rental charge for jumping ship. So don't feel you're special;) they seem to fcuk over everyone they deal with.:mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Ryaller wrote:

Did you hear any more from them?:confused:

Yeah, they sent me a thank-you card for paying the 200 notes.

Picture on the front was an artists impression of me bent over while one of them did me up the ass, while the rest of them pointed and laughed.

But not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭JimG

I got eircom broadband a few days ago. I have the wireless modem and a wireless card that they supplied. I live in the country, two miles from the exchange.
    I subsribed to the €39.99 package, which advertises a download speed of 2 Mb . I'm actually getting about one sixth of that, approx 300 Kb per sec. Is this the normal thing to happen? If it is, I should subscribe to the 1 Mb package instead (but would the actual download speed go down as well then?)
    And the wireless card seems to be giving trouble. The connection drops now and again, and some sites just crawl. I have none of this trouble when I connect directly to the modem via cable. And there were two other laptops here with family members at the weekend, neither of whch had any connection difficulties. Could my laptop PCMIA socket be faulty?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

JimG wrote:
    I got eircom broadband a few days ago. I have the wireless modem and a wireless card that they supplied. I live in the country, two miles from the exchange.
    I subsribed to the €39.99 package, which advertises a download speed of 2 Mb . I'm actually getting about one sixth of that, approx 300 Kb per sec. Is this the normal thing to happen? If it is, I should subscribe to the 1 Mb package instead (but would the actual download speed go down as well then?)
    And the wireless card seems to be giving trouble. The connection drops now and again, and some sites just crawl. I have none of this trouble when I connect directly to the modem via cable. And there were two other laptops here with family members at the weekend, neither of whch had any connection difficulties. Could my laptop PCMIA socket be faulty?

Wireless equipment is notoriously unpredictable in its behaviour and therefore problems can be very hard to diagnose. One way to check your laptop card might be to try it in a hotspot or some other wireles location to see what its performance is like.

It could be possible that your line is not up to the 2Mbs speed - have you checked your line stats or asked Eircom to check your line?

Theres a few threads on here about problems caused by the recent speed boost but doing a google search for something like 'dsl line quality' will give you plenty of reading and theres lots of information at the link below -

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=technical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

flodis79 wrote:
    According to the upload/download speed changes on Eircom, the 29.99 home starter package doesnt exist anymore.. But you can still order it online.. 39.99 home starter has merged into home starter plus with 20gig cap, 29.99 home is 10gig cap.. Is this correct?

If I'm reading your post correctly, no! Home Starter is 1024/128Kbps and has a 20GB cap for 29.99. Home Starter Plus is 2048/256Kbps and has a 30GB cap for 39.99. Both are still available for order, and are offered as wholesale "Bitstream" products to eircom resellers.
    flodis79 wrote:
    What about limited contract times on the eircom products?
    As per their site, 6 months on all DSL products.
    flodis79 wrote:
    Can you buy a network card from Eircom, seeing that it's only the wifi router that comes free with the 29.99 and upwards packages?
    No. Your PC is assumed to have either an Ethernet network card, or a wireless adapter.
    flodis79 wrote:
    Is 5mbit really the fastest speed you can get on adsl or will eircom not switch to adsl2 like smart bb?
    5Mb (not 5mb!) is the fastest currently available. eircom are moving to ADSL2, however even Smart don't offer 5Mb on ADSL2+ yet (their top biz package is 4Mb).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

My Granny has had Eircom since it came out at €39 a month was 512k then free upgrade to 1mb price went down to €29 then another free upgrade to 2mb still paying €29 a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

cgarvey wrote:
    5Mb (not 5mb!) is the fastest currently available. eircom are moving to ADSL2, however even Smart don't offer 5Mb on ADSL2+ yet (their top biz package is 4Mb).
    Smart are now offering cutomers an upgrade to up to 6M/512k for €65 a month. I'm thinking of getting this in June when my current contract runs up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭JimG

Thanks, dub45. After a few phone calls to broadband support, my download speed improved greatly. I'm still having the wireless problem and will try your suggestions as soon as I get a chance.

Advertisement