Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPTV anywhere?

• 31-01-2006 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

as the title says, do you know any company offering IPTV in Ireland sofar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

MAgnet

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Magnet deliver their TV channels using IPTV technology.

Digiweb Metro and probably Smart are likely to do the same in the future.

Warning IPTV is not Video On Demand (VoD) No one is offering VoD services yet. Magnet only use IPTV to deliver normal TV channels, it isn't any different to the end user then watching NTL or Sky (however some reports indicate that the IPTV picture quality isn't as good).

Why are you asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

thanks for the info,

I have two reasons for asking,

first one is the bigger of the reasons, as I live in a new site (royal canal Park to be exact) and for some reason, Eircom hasn't been able to get the exchangwe switched to provide digital TV to the estate which is really pi$$ing me off, this has been going on for nearly a year at this stage.

the second reason is that I purchased the Kiss DP600 player, which would support IPTV and VoD so it might have been a good alternative to having to wait on eircom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you may even have DVB-H later this year , Voda or O2 or 3 or Smart

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Gilgamesh wrote:
    first one is the bigger of the reasons, as I live in a new site (royal canal Park to be exact) and for some reason, Eircom hasn't been able to get the exchangwe switched to provide digital TV to the estate which is really pi$$ing me off, this has been going on for nearly a year at this stage.

Huh?? Eircom don't supply digital TV to anyone, anywhere (yet anyway).

Only three companies supply digital TV in Ireland at the moment:

Sky via DVB-S
    NTL (and Chours) via DVB-C
    Magnet via IPTV over DSL (and fibre in some places).

Most people get TV off NTL or Sky and get BB from NTL or separately from a different BB provider.
    Gilgamesh wrote:
    the second reason is that I purchased the Kiss DP600 player, which would support IPTV and VoD so it might have been a good alternative to having to wait on eircom.

I didn't think the Kiss DP600 was out yet. Anyway it doesn't support either IPTV or VoD. It only supports streaming video and music from your PC, not from digital TV providers.

It seems a lot of people mix up digital tv, IPTV, VoD and home media servers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Smart provide TV in some areas where they have FTTH.

Advertisement