Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACDC Help!

• 31-01-2006 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

This year I have started a BSc in IT with Oscail.

The first unit of one of the modules I have taken (Computer Technology 1) deals with DC Electricity and AC Electricity.

I am having serious doubts about my ability to get through this module without cheating in the assignments. The other modules are easy in comparison. The problem with the course text is it moves too fast without enough examples. I have worked in computers most of my adult life but this is completely new to me.

Is there any students or professionals out there, that could give me a few tips or point me in the right direction. I.E. any websites that could explain the principles a bit, like an Electricity for Dummies kind of thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Auslander

OK, here is what I suggest you do:

Alternating Current theory & Direct Current theory are not difficult principles to get your head around. I have found for many years in different schools and Colleges that the Teachers do not have a very clear picture of the theory that they are attempting to explain. This can be oserved by the speed with which a tutor will 'glaze' over the topic, and their unwillingness to go over the topic more than once or twice. It's not your fault that you can't understand something that is not being explained clearly to you.
    The internet is a brlilliant resource for electrical theory, but the problem is that its possible to get information overload, too much detail and specifics. Try to find a site the uses simple english that you can understand, combined with clear demonstrative diagrams. A little time spent searching will really help you get your head around the concepts.

For starters you might try
    http://www.swansontec.com/set.htm

This will give you the basic background of electricity.

Then you might try, something like

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/edison/sfeature/acdc.html

Try the Wikipedia.org, it's has fantastic definitions and diagrams, with lots of llinks to related subject in electrical science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_current

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternating_Current

Just one word of warning though, you will find as you research that the American sites can use slightly different terminology to describe theory.

Do cross-check with UK and european sites.

If you have any problems you can't figure out, post again, or PM me.

Best of luck!:)

Auslander

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Thanks a million for the help Auslander. It's kind of like Open university (Oscail) rather than a classroom environ which is why I'm finding it so difficult, as there is nowhere to bounce questions off while the knowledge is fresh so to speak. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I know exactly what you mean ... I've been through the Oscail IT degree, and I thought the CT modules are by far the most complex & time consuming.

Apart from the pace, the depth of the CT modules are far in excess of the other modules.

Forget about cheating on the assignments ... you will suffer for it come exam time. Also, the topics on CT1 are fundamental, so you will come across them, in more detail, on every other CT module ... so you have to get your head around them year1, or you will struggle.

My advice ... allow twice as much time for CT modules as other modules. Get the recommended reading text books, very often they will explain the concepts in more detail, with more worked examples.

I found taking the time to do the Self Assement questions very useful ... repetition of the concepts, and the manipulation of formulae is crucial to getting through this module.

Don't forget ... many people who've been through the process feel the CT modules are the toughest ... you may find your scores aren't that far behind the bell curve.

Finally, the Oscail tutors do provide plenty of help, email them early and often with specific questions ... they will do their best to help.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Thanks for the advice Trout. I was never thinking of cheating just demonstrating how desperate I am. It's good to know what you've just told me. I feel I could probably pass the other module assignments without even looking at the text compared to CT1. Thanks again.

Advertisement