Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated Image Gallery?

Options
  • 31-01-2006 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is an easy way to do the following.:confused:

I want to have a page on a website of mine to display thumbnails of all images found within a certain folder on the server. The app/software would grab the images, resize them to a specified size, and serve the first/most recently uploaded 20 images (or whatever) onto the page with a 'next'/'previous' menu system. the images would then open in a pop-up window (uugh!) or on a new page with a back button.

I also want to set-up a way to allow users to upload images to this folder through their web browser, so they will be picked up automatically next time the page is requested and the folder is scanned.

I know this is probably a simple php gallery system or similar, but the thing is, I have no knowledge of php whatsoever :o . Just xhtml & css.

Am I out of my depth or is it easy enough to download some free scripts and integrate them into any site? I am fairly good at figuring things out so I'm prepared to spend time on this. Can it be done? :)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Sounds like Coppermine is the closest to what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Cheers CuLT, that looks the business. I already have phpBB2 configured and styled for my site so hopefully this will be as easy!!

Thanks again. I'll have a proper read of the features when I get home. Must get to work now...:o

np :)

No rest for the wicked.

There's so many features on that! It looks fairly easy to set-up and configure too. Excellent.

BTW, it says somewhere (I think) that Coppermine can use an already existing database. Does this work ok? If I have a database for phpBB already, do I need to do anything to avoid any conflicts?

Been a long time since I installed Coppermine, but unless you wandered far from the standard database settings for phpBB you have nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

From what you say you are looking for, I would reccomend:

http://spgm.sourceforge.net/

I used it for an album for my travelogue. (Its mentioned in the demos) ;)

Cheers cianuro!

Seems to be a scaled-down version of Coppermine, no? Both by sourceforge. Is there any advantage to one over the other? Coppermine will automatically create the thumbnails I believe, is this correct?

Advertisement