Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Out House

Options
  • 31-01-2006 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

I am looking at renting out my house and will be moving to a new one
    Am I correct in saying that I will have to pay 40% of the rent income on tax.
    Is there a way I can just use that to pay off the existing loan on that house and cut down on the tax bill

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Need a lot more information to answer that question. Have you a loan out on the house ? What tax rate are you currently paying ?

For sure you will have to pay 20% CGT on any capital appreciation of the house. This is separate to the income tax liability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Two of us on the lower tax rate if that s whet you need. Not married yet but that will change this year. Have a loan of about 120,000 left to pay on the house interest rate is around 3.8% not 100% on this.
    I have been going in loops here on wheather to sell or not but if I have to pay tax on the rent I get then I dont think it would be manageable.
    I have another motgage on the new house and will need another 30K to finish off. I was thinking of getting that on the smaller mortgage as it will cost me as much in fees, hopefully as I was told i am unable to get a top up on the new loan it will have to be another mortgage (more fees)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

bennyc wrote:
    I am looking at renting out my house and will be moving to a new one
    Am I correct in saying that I will have to pay 40% of the rent income on tax.
    Is there a way I can just use that to pay off the existing loan on that house and cut down on the tax bill

Thanks

emmm - did you see the post directly underneath this, where a near similar question was answered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

You will have to pay tax at your marginal rate, which seems to be 20%.
    You can set any loan interest you're paying against this and a reasonable figure against depreciation of the house fittings and necessary repairs.

It will no longer be your main dwelling and you will have to pay CGT on the capital appreciation (as I mentioned).

I'm not sure how the current rental market is but if you do the sums i've a feeling the yields might be very low. If you consider the current inflated property market it might be better to sell and move your free money into Rabo (just my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would think long and hard before taking Reyman's advice (you need to take into account principle growth, which isn't a strength of Rabobank's, the effect of borrowing, whether you really need a lot of spare cash at your current stage of your life and what you would do with excess cash if you didn't have the house to put it in.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Check out the Askaboutmoney.com key post on 'sell home or keep as investment for a full discussion on all the issues involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Greenhorse

hey People,

Would I be right in saying that you could transfer the house which you intend to rent into a company structure and all the mortgage interest you pay per month would be tax deductable agains any rental income.

eg. Rent of e500 pm. interest of e350 per month. therefore only pay tax at martinal rate on the e150 (the difference)

rgds,

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Why would you need to transfer it into a company to do this?

By using a vehicle to own your property you could be opening yourself to having to pay a chunky extra capital gains tax charge.

Worth a trip to the accountant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Greenhorse

Hi,

I wasnt sure that I had it correct. Thanks for bringing up the cgt.

Niall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Greenhorse wrote:
    hey People,

Would I be right in saying that you could transfer the house which you intend to rent into a company structure and all the mortgage interest you pay per month would be tax deductable agains any rental income.

eg. Rent of e500 pm. interest of e350 per month. therefore only pay tax at martinal rate on the e150 (the difference)

rgds,

Niall

You don't need to transfer to a company to achieve this. Mortgage interest is a tax deductible expense regardless of whether the property is owned by a company or an individual. In general, it is not a good idea to transfer a property to a company - it's just too hard to get money out the company without getting hit for cgt and/or income tax. You also take on serious obligations about company reporting to the CRO, with heavy fines if you are late. There are some rare circumstances when it may be beneficial - but you'd most definitely need professional advice on your own particular circumstances before going down this road.

• Advertisement
Advertisement