Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surround setup

• 31-01-2006 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭

some help needed here for a newbie to audio setups. Right here goes i have at present a surround sound system i got in Aldi i while back now the speakers are fine for what i want but the dvd player itself isnt the best, the connections for the speakers to the dvd player are like this
    speaker connections. I also have this tv and an xbox 360. Now what i want to do is get rid of the dvd player part and keep the speakers and use them in a setup where i can have all the bits utilising the surround speakers. Would an amplifier and new dvd player be the best way or can i get a dvd player that has an amplifier built in to it that i can run the rest through. Any pointer toward which product to buy would be gratefully appreciated as im not too up on this subject. I can post pics this evening of my current stuff if needed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

davey

i am assuming you have a bit of spare cash! if you do try and get a sepetate amp and seperate dvd. this will allow you more flexibility if you want next year to replace another item. the combo kits of dvd and amp, as far as i am aware, normally come in kits with new speakers, but you may want to do a bit of web searching IF you want another combo.

there are only a few things to keep in mind. at the back of your speakers are the 2 spring loaded cable connectors. they are red and black. one is positive and the other negative. if you get an amp there will be the equivalent on the back (red and black). make sure you keep the reds to the reds and the blacks to the blacks. you may find the back of your amp will have a screw type connector...doesnt matter...red to red etc is all you need to keep in mind.

also you will need to check a thing called RMS rating on your speaker (probably on a sticker on the back but will be in the setup manual). if you are buying an amp make sure the RMS rating of the amp and the speakers are the same, preferably with the RMS rating of the speakers a bit higher.

a lot of the dvd players will come with cables. on some amps you can actually route the video signal from your dvd via the amp to your tv OR you can connect it directly to your TV from the dvd player. what cable you need here depends a little on what the back of your dvd player looks like. if you ask in the shop i am sure they will sell you the right one when you get the dvd player.

one other thing, there are many opinions on whats best to buy...a lot of it depends on your money. google will be a big friend here!!!

good luck.

ps you might want to look at a dvd player that you can change the region code settings on thereby letting you plays dvd's from the USA etc.

Advertisement