Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Went off the pill and my sex drive dropped NEED HELP!!!!!

• 31-01-2006 2:04pm

Been on it for yasmin 3 years and swore by it although I heard a rumour it can affect your fertility if on it long-term so I've been thinking of getting the mirena as I think not getting pregnant for 5 years will be great and wont have to deal with taking the pill anymore

but since I went on it when I was only 17 didn't realise it was responsible for my fabulous sex drive, I had been thinking it was great not having that much of a problem climaxing or getting in the mood because basically was thinking of sex 24/7, and a few blokes have called me a right nymph
    not that I can cum too easily just I've been in a few relationships and obviously have had no trouble climaxing when have feelings for someone

anyway ive been off the pill now since dec 6th and since then haven't gotten a period
    I have to get the mirena inserted when I finish one
    took a test am not pregnant(have no symptoms of it as well and am using condoms)
    so where is my period ????and will my sex drive come back its not completely gone but def lacking and not what it used to be at all.
    to be honest if it means having to surrender my libido in order to go on the mirena and maybe danger my fertility if I stay on the pill
    what the f**k should I do????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I can take a while for your body to adjust to being off the pill but it will snap back.
    Trust me the only thing responsible for that type of sex drive is youself.
    Give yourself a bit of time and space but if you are worried talk to you Gp about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I'm in the exact same position as you, came off the pill at Christmas but haven't had a period so I also took a test and it came back negative. Rang the doctor and she told me that it can take a while for your body to adjust.

Meant to be getting the Mirena inserted in Apirl, can I not get it inserted if I haven't had a period?

Glad to see I'm not the only one going through this, was worrying me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Were you having unprotected sex (i.e. condomless) when you were on the pill? Using condoms can also affect your libido negatively / affect your ability to climax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Khannie wrote:
    .....Using condoms can also affect your libido negatively .......

Huh? Where do you get that from? Just wondering....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Experience :)

Some people find the (relative) loss of sensation a major turn off. Edit: Just for clarification, I mean the loss of sensation when you're going from having had condomless sex to using condoms.

• Advertisement

sometimes they did v rarely though would more likely affect him
    only if he had a few drinks on him but more than likely when i was on the pill and he wore a condom it ended up ripped off and on the floor and he pulled out
    no its def not the condoms its me
    ever since i went off it i'm not half as much up for it/thinking about it than i used to
    i can still meet his needs and my own but with more of an effort now

It be that your not feeling as secure about having sex as you don't have a good contrapective plan in place and your waiting to get your IUS inplace.
    That can be a bit of a head trip and enough to make you tense and worried at the back of you mind that you can't seem to climax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Thaedydal wrote:
    It be that your not feeling as secure about having sex as you don't have a good contrapective plan in place and your waiting to get your IUS inplace.
    That can be a bit of a head trip and enough to make you tense and worried at the back of you mind that you can't seem to climax.

Sounds very reasonable. I can only go on my experience from the other end of things (ahem) - but as one of the conscientious lads amongst us boardsies, I'll acknowledge that worry about whether or not the contraception in use is sufficient can have a pretty big impact - Even for us lads! ;-)

Of course - It's always possible something else is playing a part. If you're a little tired in general, overworked and stressed, or anything is playing on your mind, you'll already know this can have an effect. I don't really know what you can do about it per-se but certainly consider trying something relaxing like a bath beforehand....Might help you unwind before you get wound up again!

BTW - Don't be afraid to let your boyfriend know if you're not really getting into it - If you can explain it to him so he understands you're undergoing a hormonal change at the moment he'll understand if he loves and respects you. I'd imagine that if you just keep pushing ahead at the moment (making that extra effort) you could end up building a mild resentment and whenever you're sorted again this might be something else that gets in the way. Hope you understand what I mean there....

Anyway, best of luck to the both of you and don't forget to have a chat with your GP next time you're speaking to her/him. They deal with these sort of things all the time.

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

^^^"Using condoms can also affect your libido negatively"

semen also contains hormones that have anti-depressant properties........ increasing libido

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was also on Yasmin, went on it when I was 17. Always had a high sex drive, but never put it down to the pill. Came off it in October or so because it had led to me putting on a bit of weight that I just couldn't shift.

Having the exact same problem as you. My sex drive is sooooo much lowered after it. I went from wanting sex all the time, to not wanting it at all. Haven't even been interested with it for a few months now....it's totally depressing! Just can't get into it at all...serious problem for me!

Considering going back on it, I waited this long to see if things would return to the way they were, but not gonna stick it out much longer. Maybe it's Yasmin in particular that does this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Was on the combined pill, cilest, for five/five and a half years. I came off it for three months and found that my libido increased.. alot. Periods came back immediatley, (after being so worried they wouldnt).

Cilest is supposed to be a little stronger than Yasmin.

back on the minipill, libido decreased again, about to come off it on thursday so I'll tell you how I get on. Extremely worried now about them coming back again after 8 years almost continously on the pill. And nearing my thirties....

Go to doctor is generally good advice in these issues. Ive gone to many requesting information about the pill, its side-effects while your on it, side-effects when you come off it. Statistics based on results of other women etc. And I get the impression, after consulting three doctors from different organisations, me with a fairly science based background...
    that
    (a) doctors dont have a clue how any one individual will react. Possibly because we are all differnt and in alot of circumstances, the female reproductive system bamboozles them with its ability to reproduce even when they are sure medically it cannot.
    And are just basically reading from the pamphlett provided by the drug company
    (b) some of them are actually getting subsidised by companies to promote certain products IMO.
    (c) most of them including ones who belong to organisations which are affiliated strongly in name with birth control actually havent looked into the research.

It agrivates me that I cant get a straight answer as to why certain things are happening in my body. I mean... you recommended me to take this, why dont you know what it does to me?

Two years ago i asked a doctor about the pill in relation to my fertility.
    the response I got was: There have been more studies done on the pill than aspirin. The risk to fertility on the pill is that women tend to have more sexual partners, opening themselves up to unprotected sex and STD's which increase the risk to fertility rather than the pill itself.
    There has been studies on women in relation to fertility taking the pill, but no studies as to their sexual health and STD levels in realtion to fertility.

That doctor may have had a point alright. But I wanted stats and facts.

My response was ok, well what if my periods dont come back after I come off the pill? then the reply was, well do you want to try for a baby? I said no. He said well in that case wait for a year after you decide to come off it. Then we give you an injection to kick start your hormones again. If that doesnt work in extreme cases... then you consider IVF.... I mean WTF?

Someone needs to seriously inform them, so that they can inform us. Or, even , I dont know, to say,your taking a risk here, that would be nice to be made aware of, if it is the case, rather than, In my case being a teenager and being "put" on the pill because the doctor "says so" and says its "safe"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

80% of your posts are about sex.

You need to have some sex or something.

Ag marbh that is off topic and unhelpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I think you should stop listening to rumour and speak to a doctor

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Sounds very reasonable. I can only go on my experience from the other end of things (ahem) - but as one of the conscientious lads amongst us boardsies, I'll acknowledge that worry about whether or not the contraception in use is sufficient can have a pretty big impact - Even for us lads! ;-)

Of course - It's always possible something else is playing a part. If you're a little tired in general, overworked and stressed, or anything is playing on your mind, you'll already know this can have an effect. I don't really know what you can do about it per-se but certainly consider trying something relaxing like a bath beforehand....Might help you unwind before you get wound up again!

BTW - Don't be afraid to let your boyfriend know if you're not really getting into it - If you can explain it to him so he understands you're undergoing a hormonal change at the moment he'll understand if he loves and respects you. I'd imagine that if you just keep pushing ahead at the moment (making that extra effort) you could end up building a mild resentment and whenever you're sorted again this might be something else that gets in the way. Hope you understand what I mean there....

Anyway, best of luck to the both of you and don't forget to have a chat with your GP next time you're speaking to her/him. They deal with these sort of things all the time.

Gil

i've spoken to himself and explained the way i've been feeling he understood and asked me had i just been having sex lately because he wanted to and i said no which is true.
    i'm still horny for sex and love being with him i just explained to him that i wasn't as horny as i always was and wasnt comfortable with the fact my libido is lowering and that i'd tell him if there was anything not happening for me.
    we had a giggle about it so i'm not too bothered now.
    i spoke to my doctor and he had said the pill doesn't affect either fertility or libido (not in the way i was being affected anyway) so that was kinda useless.
    he said my period would return soon enough and to be regiment in using birth control(which i will be) then i can get the mirena placed and hopefully i will relax a little about that
    i just don't want to like a couple of girls i know
    that while they like sex end up treating their blokes like nymphs because want it and enjoy it so much

Advertisement