Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2x WAN ports - how does this work?

Options
  • 31-01-2006 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314072&view=detailed

So I was looking at that and thinking it was all well and good that you could have a 1Mbit Eircon line and a 2Mbit IBB line and you could have 3Mbit in total.

But alas, you can't, right?

Because the IP addresses just wouldn't work out if you were browsing? So you could only use one connection per task at a time?

How do they work then beyond backup ? They let you run your torrents through one connection and browse through another ?

Any thoughts ?

(I just realised this is in the wrong forum - msg sent to mods to move it ...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

""With two WAN ports, the device can have two simultaneous WAN connections while also providing broadband connection redundancy and failover capability""

Failover is the buzz word here...if say your IBB connection goes bust (which is likely to happen hehe), your cable/eircom connection can take over almost seamless maybe?!?!? Just because they are running at the same time, don't mean that you combine the speeds.

It's a bit like the ESB and a generator running at the same time...if the ESB cuts out, the geny is there to take over!

The above is just a guess!, but sounds good to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I have one of these:

http://www.allproducts.com/computer/pheenet/17-multihoming.html

Loads balances outbound and inbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Yeah, the SMC is basically a failover setup, although you can assign users on your network to one WAN or the other. There's some basic QoS in there too.

If you want the full load-balancing extravaganza, either get something like Jaden's box (not cheap, I presume), or if you're geeky enough, get an old PC, three NICs, and read this - if I'm ever lucky and/or rich enough to have two BB links, that's what I'll be doing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

tomk wrote:
    Yeah, the SMC is basically a failover setup, although you can assign users on your network to one WAN or the other. There's some basic QoS in there too.

If you want the full load-balancing extravaganza, either get something like Jaden's box (not cheap, I presume), or if you're geeky enough, get an old PC, three NICs, and read this - if I'm ever lucky and/or rich enough to have two BB links, that's what I'll be doing. :)

The link doesn't work tomk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Site seems to be down - never had a problem with it before.

Try again later, I suppose....

• Advertisement
Advertisement