Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic Mushrooms have just been made Illegal in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Let the government be damned. In fact, just to spite Mary, I am NOT voting for the PD's or even FF..
    Oh that makes sooo much sense......even though all the other parties supported the ban and would have flogged her if she had done nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Is it true that mushies + alcohol = EVIL
    No, if anything quite the reverse.
    Drinking alcohol will dull the effect of mushies on the body and you won't get as good a trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Oh that makes sooo much sense......even though all the other parties supported the ban and would have flogged her if she had done nothing.

Your comments on this thread from day one have been ones of non-experience on the subject and generally ridiculous. What are you trying to achieve or say that you might not have already stated?

Ag marbh wrote:
    Your comments on this thread from day one have been ones of non-experience on the subject and generally ridiculous. What are you trying to achieve or say that you might not have already stated?

I was pointing out that ANY government would have brought in this ban and that public pressure would have forced any minister (except maybe McDowell) to make the mushrooms illegal. Thus one cannot blame Mary Harney, the PDs or Fianna Fail

I was pointing out that ANY government would have brought in this ban and that public pressure would have forced any minister (except maybe McDowell) to make the mushrooms illegal. Thus one cannot blame Mary Harney, the PDs or Fianna Fail

I can blame Mary Harney for not making an educated decision. What pressure did they have? One family morning the death of an idiot. Yes an idiot.

• Advertisement

Ag marbh wrote:
    I can blame Mary Harney for not making an educated decision. What pressure did they have? One family morning the death of an idiot. Yes an idiot.

The pressure would have been from all the political parties and from the middle class. Fine Gael would have used to to reboost their image as the party of Law and Order and they would have used it to make the government look weak on drugs. Politically she had no choice and it is too small an issue to take a stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ag marbh wrote:
    we can't say he was an idiot, that's unfair, It was a tragic accident whatever happened.

Ag marbh wrote:
    One family morning the death of an idiot. Yes an idiot.

How do you know he was an idiot? Maybe he was pushed? Maybe he had a bad reaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is it true that mushies + alcohol = EVIL
    pretty much anything + alcohol = EVIL :(
    Thing is alcohol is prefectly acceptable since daddy and the taoiseach use it as their preferred drug of choice.

I know several people who died as a result of accidents while drinking. In this case the guy was drinking and took less than the standard dose of shrooms. His brother and 3 friends split them, that is one punnet split between 5 people! The standard dose sold is 20g fresh which will dry to about 1.6g. Personally I would barely notice the effect of this, it is considered a very low dose and many people complain of them being overpriced for the low dose you got. I have taken up to 6 times the dose that they were splitting between 5 people with absolutely no ill effects. I drink a lot of the time on mushrooms with no ill effects either.

The media, family and government just turn a blind eye to the fact that he was drinking. It is illogical that they conclude mushrooms killed him, this is the first such claim ever in this country that I have heard of, yet I hear of alcohol induced accidents constantly. If a guy drank 10 pints and had a drag on a joint and wrapped a car around a lamp-post the media would probably claim the "evil weed" did it. Just like cannabis "addicts" turn a blind eye to the fact that they are mixing a non-addictive herb with another herb which is recognised as the most addictive substance on the planet! and then their bizarre logic leads them to think they are hooked on cannabis!:eek:

It will be interesting to see what level (if any since he vomitted) of psilocybin was in his body and how much alcohol was too. If the 1.6g dry was split evenly then it is 0.32grams each. This is a chart from a site www.erowid.org which has "recommended" doses for a variety of drugs. It shows this to be between threshold and light. Alcohol will dull the effects as mentioned so this would be barely noticeable for most people.

Oral P. cubensis Dosages
    Threshold .25 g 1/100 oz
    Light .25 - 1 g 1/100 - 1/28oz
    Common 1 - 2.5 g 1/28 - 1/10oz
    Strong 2.5 - 5 g 1/10 - 1/6oz
    Heavy 5 + g 1/4oz +

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭PTL

Lets not forget that the 0.32g dried was puked up half an hour later ...

The mushroom tissues are very complex and take a long time for your stomach to break them up before it can pass through your intestines and into your blood stream. After a half an hour you can get a sick feeling an this is just your stomach still digesting the mushrooms, this would be the point where you could get sick if you were going to. At this point not much psilocybin would be in your system at all and if you puke then your not going to trip at all after half hour even if he ate the whole lot :)

People who shroom alot are trying various methods to make the "come up" quicker and the latest thing with lemons makes the cum up at about a half hour on about 3g dried ... so if he could trip balls on 0.32g and come up withing 30mins and puke and still be up and jump then i wish he didnt die so he could tell us all how to do this amazing trick :) apart from the jumping bit which was his own stupidity mixed with the depressant effects of alcohol

think i might play some trivial persuit next time im mushing :) maybe thats the trick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Typical Nanny State, just like America
    I suggest you look up what a Nanny State is.

Christ almighty this thread is woeful though. I'm not even going to bother defending Mary Harney with someone saying this was an "uneducated" decision.

Must... resist...

I suggest you look up what a Nanny State is....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanny_state
    Christ almighty this thread is woeful though.
    i.e. most people seem to be disagreeing with your opinions and you do not approve of theirs....

"uneducated" decision.
    I would call it a hypocritical decision. Dr Liam Twomey made some disturbing comments for a supposedly educated person, he was previously a GP! I thought it may have just been a Phd in something else but it is worrying when colleges are turning out doctors who have no knowledge of drugs. I would love to see the references he could give for some of his comments.

Marys educated decision was made after she sat down and had some tea and biscuits with the family ... after hearing it all she cried .... AWWWW ..... STUPID WOMAN!!!!

emotion clouds judgement, just cause she hears some sob story off the parents she desides to ignore many studies carried out even by the un about mushrooms not being harmful. I think even the edgit who jumped had more brain power then that

And angry banana you cant be right all the time, an on this subject it seems that you just dont have the experiance to put in a fair comment. Like this isnt a dig at you, its just like if i tried to post on a nasa forum :) i dont have a clue what im talking about but i wouldnt get annoyed if everyone else who had knowledge on the subject didnt agree with me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

PTL wrote:
    Marys educated decision was made after she sat down and had some tea and biscuits with the family ... after hearing it all she cried .... AWWWW ..... STUPID WOMAN!!!!

emotion clouds judgement, just cause she hears some sob story off the parents she desides to ignore many studies carried out even by the un about mushrooms not being harmful. I think even the edgit who jumped had more brain power then that
    That's exactly the sort of waffle that makes it not worth my while debated. You have absolutely nothing to back this up. It is well-tried, well-tested standard behaviour among politicians to research a topic and wait for an appropriate time to release their decision. If you want evidence that she knows more than a bit about this topic I will PM you it. This is my last comment on the thread though.

It seems that ye're the ones who have emotion clouding logic and thus judgement.

[QUOET]And angry banana you cant be right all the time, an on this subject it seems that you just dont have the experiance to put in a fair comment.[/QUOTE]That's more of the flawed logic. You're actually better at assessing medical reports when you haven't suffered brain damage. Your logic tantamounts to the theories that only people who go to university can comment on university funding; only Gardaí can comment on their own behaviour; only insane people can judge the actions of the insane.

Earlier a poster said "a guy who's smoked one spliff knows more about drugs than a guy who's read twenty reports in UCD". That's your logic. It's flawed.
    Like this isnt a dig at you, its just like if i tried to post on a nasa forum :) i dont have a clue what im talking about but i wouldnt get annoyed if everyone else who had knowledge on the subject didnt agree with me :)
    I'm not annoyed that people are disagreeing with me. And simply because I haven't been in space doesn't mean I don't know what the surface of the moon looks like. To those of you that are moaning about your right to do this or that:
    PTL wrote:
    emotion clouds judgement

Who knows more about the surface of the moon, you or someone who landed on it :)

Like i do see your point completely but then you go and say "You're actually better at assessing medical reports when you haven't suffered brain damage" if your claiming that being on magic mushrooms give you some level of brain damage then it just shows you havnt read the reports.

And only the guards being able to comment on there own behaviour ... no to make this equal to the mushroom ban it would be like getting someone who is security for a parking lot, listen to a guards story or listen to someone who was abused by the guards and then make a decision on what to do ... She might be in the field of that but obviously hasnt considered both sides of the argument since people who have actually done research like the un and who are considerably more knowledgable about the subject have stated that they are no threat.

Like ive always hated mary harney from day one and i hate the pd's in general but all that aside.... lets take one fact and see do you agree... the un report that states that they arnt a risk .... who do you think spent more time researching mushrooms before making a decision mary or the un?

And a personal question, do you agree with the banning of certain drugs while other drugs which are more harmful are legalised? And dont go on about if we ban drink or tabacco would i be happy (i would be if they banned tabacco but its not the point let people kill themselves but not others, the smoking ban limits people killing others)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 diddler

All societies must, it seems, have a structure of laws, of orderly rules and regulations. Only the most hard-core, fanatical anarchist would argue that point. But I, as a responsible, adult human being, will never concede the power, to anyone, to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inward is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the Customs Agent. I am the Coast Guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual Government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable!!!
    Now, were I to be guilty of invading or sabotaging that same territory in others, then the external law of the Nation has every right - indeed, the responsibility - to prosecute me in the agreed-upon manner.
    But what I think? where I focus my awareness? What biochemical reactions I choose to cause within the territorial boundaries of my own skin are not subject to the beliefs, morals, laws or preferences of any other person!

I am a sovereign state, and I feel that my borders are far more sacred than the politically drawn boundaries of any country.

from The Lecture at the University, Pihkal

I recommend reading the entire chapter in fact which you can dohere

PTL wrote:
    lets take one fact and see do you agree... the un report that states that they arnt a risk .... who do you think spent more time researching mushrooms before making a decision mary or the un?
    I pointed out something similar in another thread and he then stated that both the UN and WHO were stupid feckers, or something to that effect. It is just articulate trolling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

An inquest has said that magic mushrooms were responsible for yer man jumping off the balcony a while ago...
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/06/27/story265231.html

Mr O’Reilly said they had smoked a number of cannabis joints, and had a small number of beers as around eight friends gathered together watching golf on television, playing card games and Trivial Pursuit.

The inquest heard a small amount of cannabis and alcohol were detected in his system after death.

Another friend told the inquest Mr Hodkinson had bought around six punnets of the mushrooms for €90 from the Hemp Store on Dublin’s Capel Street.

Mr O’Reilly said four people, including Mr Hodkinson, were eating them with crisps to dilute the taste.

“They had less than two boxes between then,” he said, adding Mr Hodkinson had no more than three mushrooms.

Mr Glavin said the deceased had said the people working in the shop had told him the way to consume them.

“It was a very quiet get-together, we were talking and sipping drinks it wasn’t a wild party by any stretch
    ,” Mr Glavin said.

rofl :p

"more brandy, good sir?"
    "why thank you basil!"
    "sir, you simply MUST try one of these delightful magical treats"
    "oh I don't know basil, maybe I should stick to what I'm used to"
    "sir I must insist -- they really are divine!"
    "oh you old cod of a boy basil! give me one of those!"

I read this today also.

I don't think this futher proves that the decision to ban mushrooms was good. This proves that the guy was an idiot and that the decision to ban mushrooms wasn't a very well thought out one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ag marbh wrote:
    I read this today also.

I don't think this futher proves that the decision to ban mushrooms was good. This proves that the guy was an idiot and that the decision to ban mushrooms wasn't a very well thought out one at all.
    it doesn't appear to prove either the things you say it does or the things you say it doesn't to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

DaveMcG wrote:

"more brandy, good sir?"
    "why thank you basil!"

LOL :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wah hay, look strong on crime while in fact doing absolutely nothing to stop the incredible drug industry in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

PHB wrote:
    Wah hay, look strong on crime while in fact doing absolutely nothing to stop the incredible drug industry in Ireland

exactly. To quote the Onion: "Drugs war over. Drugs win".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

DaveMcG wrote:
    An inquest has said that magic mushrooms were responsible for yer man jumping off the balcony a while ago...
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/06/27/story265231.html

Mr O’Reilly said they had smoked a number of cannabis joints, and had a small number of beers as around eight friends gathered together watching golf on television, playing card games and Trivial Pursuit.

The inquest heard a small amount of cannabis and alcohol were detected in his system after death.

Another friend told the inquest Mr Hodkinson had bought around six punnets of the mushrooms for €90 from the Hemp Store on Dublin’s Capel Street.

Mr O’Reilly said four people, including Mr Hodkinson, were eating them with crisps to dilute the taste.

“They had less than two boxes between then,” he said, adding Mr Hodkinson had no more than three mushrooms.

Mr Glavin said the deceased had said the people working in the shop had told him the way to consume them.

“It was a very quiet get-together, we were talking and sipping drinks it wasn’t a wild party by any stretch
    ,” Mr Glavin said.

"more brandy, good sir?"
    "why thank you basil!"

I don't agree with the ban at all...but I gotta be fair and relate my experience with the Hemp Store.
    They basically told me and a mate that we each needed 20g and if we halfed a dose we wouldn't feel much. This is after we said we haven't done them before.
    I had a nightmare of a night!

but 20g is a normal dose, some people do 30g .... and you having a horrible night was completely down to yourself ... you either were drinking with them or you just wernt in a good state of mind ... maybe your surroundings or maybe your mate was freaking you out or it could have been as simple as you were stressed about work etc

with cannabis hardly anyone would freak out with there first joint cause it just suits alot more people but mushies dont suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

That is the problem with mushrooms in my experience of them they are hit and miss. It helps to be around people who are used to it who can help you through your trip in this guys case he simply had a bit of a freakout by not preparing himsef for the effects of the trip and did something very stupid.

I agree with PTL mushrooms do not suit everyone and it leads to people having amazing trips and other people having a horrid time.

Banning them though because someone commited a stupid act and died as a result is so kneejerk it isnt funny. I know of plenty of incidents where people trgically died while drunk. One such sad case was a guy who went to jump into a local pool whilst pissed and not realising the pool was pretty much drained.

Ban drink? I dont see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭psilocybe

sovtek wrote:
    They basically told me and a mate that we each needed 20g and if we halfed a dose we wouldn't feel much. This is after we said we haven't done them before.
    I had a nightmare of a night!

10 grams would be a dose I would advise for a first timer. One thing I noticeed while they were on sale is that most of the staff had no idea what they were doing. At one stage there was a shop selling the super-potent species, Pan. Cyanescans in 30g portions. A full dose of this species is 10g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ban drink? I dont see it happening.

Nah, then Bertie would have to start takin Salvia or somethin... the only drug left...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

PTL wrote:
    but 20g is a normal dose, some people do 30g .... and you having a horrible night was completely down to yourself ... you either were drinking with them or you just wernt in a good state of mind ... maybe your surroundings or maybe your mate was freaking you out or it could have been as simple as you were stressed about work etc

with cannabis hardly anyone would freak out with there first joint cause it just suits alot more people but mushies dont suit everyone.

I understand the freak out factor quite well...even proper weed has that (ie stuff you don't get here). But to tell people that are "newbies" to take that much was irresponsible.
    Actually my mate was a girl that has taken shrooms many times before but wasn't sure about Mexican cubensis, so she acted innocent. She also thought is was a high dose for how strong they were.
    Again I'm not arguing for the ban...just that they should have someone responsible selling as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

DaveMcG wrote:
    Nah, then Bertie would have to start takin Salvia or somethin... the only drug left...
    do you know if salvia has an expiration date? I just remembered that i have a few grams of it lyin around but it's about 2 years old.. I'm not sure if it's worth riskin it

Advertisement