Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic Mushrooms have just been made Illegal in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Sico wrote:
    So criminalizing the drug is going to prevent people taking it, is it?

It may discourage some

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

You must be joking firespinner, it will only encourage them to take them. Illegality make them more attractive! The problem now is that they won't get the advice booklet that they would have got in the head-shop telling them how much to take and not to mix with copious amounts of alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Did any TD's oppose this ban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

It may discourage some

You would really have to be naive to think that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ag marbh wrote:
    You would really have to be naive to think that
    Indeed, you're living in a dream world Firespinner; you'll make a good minister some day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

DaveMcG wrote:
    Did any TD's oppose this ban?
    Well of course not. they're all too afraid they'll be forced to resign when it was "debated" on bloody Live Line.

Did you ever hear such a one sided argument as they had on that show about this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

PTL wrote:
    Imagine cannibis was legal and alcohol was illegal all around the world .... then imagine buying beer and vodka and all that from a dealer ... taking it... getting aggressive or sluring speach , pissing yourself, not realising you cant drive, almost a rohipnol(cant spell it) effect if too much and taking too much of this banned substance (which people would call a narcotic if it was illegal since time began) could kill you! also its very addictive, people who are on it can loose there wife and children and jobs and become homeless and if drank every day WILL kill you not might! And this banned substance would cost the tax payers millions every year in the hospitals.

God what a horrible drug its almost like heroin isnt it!

Not to mention the fact that bootlegged alcohol will be of a poor quality, cut with white spirits and not distilled properly leading to even more problems

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This is because some respectable young lad tossed himself out of his apartment and died. It is a drug whose users need careful supervision and they cannot provide that.
    I personally knew one of the men who crashed their jeep into the sea last year after drinking alcohol. He was a respectable lad too. The death of Martin Griffin was equally as devastating if not more so, than the death of the man who fell off the balcony because his mother had died of cancer only the year before and the family were already having a terrible time. But that is not an argument for banning alcohol, so one tragic accident is not a good argument for banning Mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The guy had consumed several bottles of wine prior to consuming the psychotropic mushrooms.

By the way, does anyone know whether they were dried/processed or raw?

SyxPak wrote:
    The guy had consumed several bottles of wine prior to consuming the psychotropic mushrooms.

By the way, does anyone know whether they were dried/processed or raw?

I would assume his company had planned on doing them that weekend and would have bought them in town. If this is the case then they would have been unprepared even if kept for a few days because of the box they provide you with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭PTL

yea they were bought in town, and the respectable young lad ... was a 33 year old gob****e :) the worst place to take mushrooms is a fancy dress...

and as for a TD opposing the ban ... are you mad! Turn on the dail right now and i bet all you'll here is .... Don't call me a racist ... your a racist... no your a racist ... im not even white that’s how un-racist i am but your are ... i know you are but what am i . ...... there so fecking afraid to talk because of all the edgits that are just waiting to slaughter them for saying anything ... if one TD opposed it there would be thousands of grannies and mothers of gob****es who would go marching to get him to resign

And as for the person who said ... people on this drug need looking after ... well i will personally meet up with you this Saturday night at 3am and we go to charlies or abra and just have a look out at the state of people! walking in front of traffic, fighting, not knowing where they are, cant remember where they live, cant talk, urinating everywhere including on themselves, ambulances rushing up and down to pick up ones who "over dose" and then seeing girls completely off there face and asleep nearly being brought home by scumbags ... and then you tell me if people on alcohol can look after themselves

Im not saying i dont go out like the above and dose myself up on the mind altering drug called alcohol and dance like a lab rat on steroids and have a great time. I'm just saying you should open your eyes and realise alcohol is just a legal drug ... it doesn’t make it any less of a drug or any safer it just makes it sociably acceptable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

I laughed when I heard that "magic" mushrooms are now illegal. Apparently it's because one person died (and that's suspect).
    I'm just wondering how many people will die this weekend from alcohol related incidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

sovtek wrote:
    I laughed when I heard that "magic" mushrooms are now illegal. Apparently it's because one person died (and that's suspect).
    I'm just wondering how many people will die this weekend from alcohol related incidents.

Wonder if Super Mario Bros is going to be banned for promoting the use of an illegal substance :eek: :v:

Crap I didn't see the other thread about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

A couple of points:

A "law" (an Act of the Oireachtas) can provide for additional circumstances as they arise, saying something like "there will be different Departments of the government, as the Taoiseach sees fit". And then instead of having to bring in a whole new Act, he just brings in a Statutory Instrument to say "there'll be a Dept. of Finance, a Dept. of Health" etc. The same thing applies to narcotics, that's how it can be brought in so quick.

Secondly, nigh on everyone's argument against the prohibition is "alcohol's not banned". If alcohol was banned tomorrow, would ye shut up?

Thirdly, the failure of the prohibition of alcohol in America in 1920 does not provide a conclusive argument against prohibition for two reasons. Firstly, some things are successfully prohibited. Secondly, a relatively high failure-rate of prohibition does not necessarily make it provident to remove that ban. Should we allow murder because of the increase in gun crime? Should we allow abortion because of the number of women taking the boat?

no probs.
    Threads merged

dathi1 wrote:
    One gob****e throws himself off a building :(

More than one. Alot more than one. Think of all the times you hear of people "falling" out of apartements on holidays in Spain. With dublins impending highrise it was going to get worse.

ps. might want to tone it down someone told me his cousin was on boards.
    (prob not true but just in case)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

sovtek wrote:
    Apparently it's because one person died (and that's suspect).

No, it's not suspect. He is dead.

MRP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

FX Meister wrote:
    Jeez, what a pack of morons posting here. Alcohol and tobaco make millions for the government. The sale of mushies doesn't earn them that much. As for the spas who say they grow wild, no, they don't. And if you don't know this then you should take some and fly off a balcony. As for saying that it will push them into the hands of drug dealers, complete bollocks again. No dealer is going to waste his time with a drug like this. LSD isn't even easily available anymore.

FXMeiser,

You're wrong. They grow wild every autumn in Ireland.

And you're wrong about the dealers. Grow kits make them easily to cultivate. Easier and faster than Marijuana. Easier to make than E.

PTL wrote:

And as for the person who said ... people on this drug need looking after ... well i will personally meet up with you this Saturday night at 3am and we go to charlies or abra and just have a look out at the state of people! walking in front of traffic, fighting, not knowing where they are, cant remember where they live, cant talk, urinating everywhere including on themselves, ambulances rushing up and down to pick up ones who "over dose" and then seeing girls completely off there face and asleep nearly being brought home by scumbags ... and then you tell me if people on alcohol can look after themselves

Im not saying i dont go out like the above and dose myself up on the mind altering drug called alcohol and dance like a lab rat on steroids and have a great time. I'm just saying you should open your eyes and realise alcohol is just a legal drug ... it doesn’t make it any less of a drug or any safer it just makes it sociably acceptable

Alcohol can be taken in moderation for a loosening feeling. You don't need to go out of your mind on it.

You do need supervision so they don't jump out windows etc

• Advertisement

More than one. Alot more than one. Think of all the times you hear of people "falling" out of apartements on holidays in Spain. With dublins impending highrise it was going to get worse.

ps. might want to tone it down someone told me his cousin was on boards.
    (prob not true but just in case)

You're saying people are hopping off buildings like Lemmings due to Magic Mushrooms? em no. Having been to many resorts in Spain I can safely say magic mushrooms are not peoples drug of choice and most of those incidents are infact due to alcohol.

To be honest, I don't care if any relation is on the board because all we're stating here is facts. One irresponsible guy hops off a balcony and ruins it for the rest of the country who enjoyed them responsibly.

Alcohol can be taken in moderation for a loosening feeling. You don't need to go out of your mind on it.

You are someone who obviously hasn't done mushrooms. All of the time's I have consumed mushrooms I wouldn't have needed anyone to sit with me. It's a very rare case that someone gets the urge to jump out a window. Infact I think most people would be too paranoid or deep in thought to go for a piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

flogen wrote:
    According to friends he took less than the recommended dosage; have any toxoligy reports confirmed this?
    I would like to see them too. If your mate jumped out a window would you tell the parents, "oh, Micko!, he was a mental bastard, he took 5 punnets after his 10 pints and a few lines of coke", or "we were sipping beers playing trivial pursuit, he took 1/2 a dose of those demon drugs".

Maskhadov wrote:
    Young people shouldnt have easy access to narcotics.
    Shrooms are not "narcotics". If your particular definition includes them then it must also include wine too.

flogen wrote:
    Quick Question; has anyone ever actually died from taking them (besides the idiots that pick the wrong ones) or is it just deaths that occoured under the influence?
    The LD50 in humans is said to be huge. It is a very similar compound to LSD, people have taken 1gram doses of LSD in error and were fine 24hrs later. 1g of LSD is about 10,000 doses. If you can eat 10,000 punnets of shrooms then I think your cause of death would be an exploding stomach.

FX Meister wrote:
    Alcohol and tobaco make millions for the government. The sale of mushies doesn't earn them that much.
    So regulate and tax them, and cannabis too please. The amount of my tax money that is squandered on trying to catch "killer drugs", it is sickening, what is more sickening is the potential money that is lost to the dealers.

FX Meister wrote:
    As for saying that it will push them into the hands of drug dealers, complete bollocks again. No dealer is going to waste his time with a drug like this. LSD isn't even easily available anymore.
    The head shops were drug dealers! just like the tobaconnist and pub landlord and offlicence owner. That woman in cork had €7000 of business taken away, and that was just 3 or 4 shipments. It would be weekly shipments at most due to the freshness issue. I was in one shop browsing and they did about €200 worth of business in 10 minutes on a saturday. I already knew dealers selling them a while back importing dried ones from the EU. Most users prefer shrooms to LSD due to the shorter trip and more "organic" high, and you know your dose better.

jtsuited wrote:
    1.none of you seem to have any idea of the long term psychological effects of psylocibin and other psychoactive substances found in hallucinogenic mushrooms and cacti etc.
    Many dont know the long term effects of most drugs they take, be they recreational or medicinal. No reason to ban them

jtsuited wrote:
    2.the 'they grow naturally' reasoning doesn't stand up as so does heroin.
    No, opium poppies do. They are a precursor used to heroin. Just like nutmeg is a possible precursor to MDMA and also produces a high if ingested. Ban nutmeg? if one person kills themself while on it? Peruvian natives chew coca leaves and are a very healthy people, yet the leaves also are a precursor to crack cocaine.

jtsuited wrote:
    3. The actual neurological, psychological and physiological effects are still not very well researched, and hence the governmnent cannot reasonably permit the sale of said substances.
    Governments do not allow research. many are funded by external parties. Many governments are scared to find the truth. many studies on cannabis that portray it in a negative light have vested interests to keep it banned, alcohol lobbyists for instance.
    Ag marbh wrote:
    This is simply not true. Liberty caps grow in many countries and are not even close to the best you can get.
    I think he meant the species, Psilocybe semilanceata, rather than Irish. They do tend to be a favourite of many experienced pickers, there may be stronger strains but it is usually in the top 5 most potent, they have different effects due to differing ratios of actives, just like cannabis, but not as pronounced. Really depends on your definition of "best".

Firstly, some things are successfully prohibited.
    Do you mean drugs? examples? and please define "successful"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

HA!
    What f↓uckin lunacy abounds!

Check out sky news's report on crystal meth,
    It's now more acceptable to be in possesion of crystal meth then mushrooms in Ireland :rolleyes:

Says it all tbh and proves the law is an ass!
    Well how's about a guard in every pub car park then?

rubadub wrote:
    Some drugs have been successfully prohibited. Successful is that it is a very signficant deterent to its use, imo. Observe the phenomenal growth in opium production in Afghanistan when the Taliban (and hence "regular" law and order and thus authority) was kicked out by the Americans.

Now you answer my question please. If drink was to be recognised as a far more evil drug by the government, would ye shut up about which ever one ye're on about today?

rubadub wrote:
    Some drugs have been successfully prohibited. Successful is that it is a very signficant deterent to its use, imo. Observe the phenomenal growth in opium production in Afghanistan when the Taliban (and hence "regular" law and order and thus authority) was kicked out by the Americans.

Now you answer my question please. If drink was to be recognised as a far more evil drug by the government, would ye shut up about which ever one ye're on about today?

MrPudding wrote:
    No, it's not suspect. He is dead.

MRP

I meant that he jumped necessarily because he took mushropoms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Do you assume that everyone who indulges in magic mushrooms takes them to excess? You don't believe that illegal drugs can also be taken in moderation? That would be quite the naive assumption, and quite typical of the ill-informed 'anti-hallucinogen' brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭PTL

angry banana i dont know if your trying to be smart or if you really think anyone on this forum is sujesting we ban alcohol aswell ... what these people and myself is trying to say is to all the people who arnt educated about mushrooms that alcohol is id say about 15-20 times worse then mushrooms ... its adictive, it kills thousands a year blah blah ... but its legal so people dont think of it as a drug.

We want the uneducated people in ireland just to realise what mushrooms are and then make an educated dission about wither they agree with the ban or appose it. Don't be close minded read some unbios irish websites about drug information not pro or anti drugs then post back.

http://www.drugsinfo.ie/drug8.htm
    http://www.nehb.ie/youthhealthne/drugs%20list%20magic.htmhttp://kildare.ie/advice/eastern-health-board/DrugsAwareness/drugfact/magic.htm

And sico is right that just like alcohol if you take 1/3 (third) the standard dose you could easily function, go to the park, order a piza, watch some tv, listen to music ... while feeling absolutly brilliant, and floating on air ... take 2/3 the dosage and ull be giggling and laughing at the smallest of things but your vision will be perfect.. take the standard dosage and you will trip, see some brilliant things but will have a fear of going outside, fear of going near windows(way before the edgit jumped its common sence!), fear of talking or interacting with sober people :) so your not going to go out and smack someone or jump out of windows. If you take 2-3 times the standard dose then you will probably just have a panic attack and worse case sinario you get sick and fine in about 30mins or you fall asleep ... not collapse but you get tired and go to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Snake-

I was talking to a guy I know about the mushrooms, and I was explaining that alcohol is a bigger drug.

My friend replies "Alcohol is not a drug, what are you on about?"
    Some people don't understand what drugs are and need to be thought. They just assume all illigal drugs are bad and all legal things are not even drugs.

Advertisement