Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamaha One unit Surround Sound

• 31-01-2006 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭

Hi

Saw one of these in Peats the other day, Yamaha YSP - 800

One unit multi channel surround sound

HAven't seen it in action but was wondering about people's opinions on them. They seem an elegant solution to having wires all over the place

Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Depends on what you want.
    • It is not "real" surround sound so it is only emulating surround sound somewhat. There will be instances where it will work and there will be instances where you are sitting there going wtf was that supposed to be.
    • It is not going to be great for stereo - like cd's.
    • The "sweetspot" is going to be a very specific point in your room where the effects will be best. Also, corners, edges and non square rooms will effect the sound too.
    • The location in your room where it is located is probably going to have an impact on how well it performs.
    To see what I mean by these, take a look at the picture of the room in the pdf product spec.
    On the plus side, like you say, it is neat and you don't have wires trailing all over the place. And it seems to include the DTS decoder et al.

I would suggest you ask Peats to plug it in for you and have a go. Compare it to a surround setup with actual speakers. See what happens if you don't sit right in front of it. Also, get them to place it in a similar situation to where you will have it at home (eg, in a corner or high up over the fireplace etc)

L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I am basically looking for a decent quaility surround sound system, something easy to set up and use

Doesn't need to blow the walls out or anything so an out of the box option would probably suit best

What are people's opinions on systems that have wireless rear speakers. I need something that can move with me easily rather than have to lay cables and stick speakers on the wall

Advertisement