Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Differences between Report/Essay?

Options
  • 31-01-2006 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

I've been told to do a report, NOT an essay. What are the differences? I thought they were the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

What is the topic for discussion? I ask because it will dictate the sections in your report.
    Generally a report is a functional document like a lab report or financial report and has a certain rigid structure and flow of logic that must be conformed to. An essay is similar but you generally have more freedom in your structure and content and the sections just sort of work into each other rather then being rigidly dived up as in a report.
    I've more experience with reports then essays so you'll have to forgive the lack of a better explanation.

A quick google brings up better explanations here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I think its that a report has a structure eg. Introduction, body, conclusion and an essay is just one document.

Not sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

Still not really clear on it, anyone got any further ideas? Or explanations?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You could ask your lecturer for an explanation. If you don't know, they musn't be doing a very good job.

I did a report for my final thing in college. A report is very much fact based, and only a little of your own opinion, seperating your opinion from the facts very clearly. Also getting Primary sources (Talking to people etc) and secondary sources, and research the subject in the current climate.

John

Lump wrote:
    You could ask your lecturer for an explanation. If you don't know, they musn't be doing a very good job.

I did a report for my final thing in college. A report is very much fact based, and only a little of your own opinion, seperating your opinion from the facts very clearly. Also getting Primary sources (Talking to people etc) and secondary sources, and research the subject in the current climate.

John

He's refusing to discuss it with us. None of us are too impressed but there's not much we can do. I only have a paragraph or two of my own opinion from 2,500 words, is that alright?

The rest if all the opinions of others from articles and journals etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, sounds ok. Fairly **** lecturer TBH.

John

Lump wrote:
    Yea, sounds ok. Fairly **** lecturer TBH.

John

The only problem is that alot of what is in my literature review pops up again in my essay. Its almost like the same thing, except shorter. Should it be like that?

He's a crazy lecturer alright.

Advertisement