Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a M-16/AR15

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 KerryShooter

never worked out how a .semi auto rifle become less deadly if it has a thumbhole stock instead of a pistol grip?? well at least that went by the by, except for in the PRK, i just saw one of the Calif legal M4gery's, has a 10 shot internal mag like the SKS. ever hear of Vektor arms, just been onto their website and they have some nice looking HK clones, MP5, G3 & 53's
    wouldn't mind a 53 with full length stock & barrel & harris bipod , wonder if the super would be understanding it is only a .223 semi..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

never worked out how a .semi auto rifle become less deadly if it has a thumbhole stock instead of a pistol grip??
    Guess you have to have a Bill Klintoon,Sarah Brady outlook on life to see that one.:rolleyes:

A ten round internal mag AR15??GARRRRK!!Just glad I moved from California,before it went totally nuts.
    ever hear of Vektor arms, just been onto their website and they have some nice looking HK clones, MP5, G3 & 53's
    wouldn't mind a 53 with full length stock & barrel & harris bipod , wonder if the super would be understanding it is only a .223 semi..

Yes indeed,well expensive.Try www.schwabenarmsgmbh.de.or Sabare defence in the UK.
    But if you want to buy HK ,it is like buying a Mercedes,lasts forever and you shouldnt be asking the prices.:D Might as well buy German as they made the HK in the first place.Also it is less hassle getting from the EU than the USA.
    Again convince thy Super. Doesn't matter about the calibre.It might fall on the idonlikedelookodat clause.

Yeah wonder if they sell any Calif legal AR's outside of Calif, madness pop over the state line into Idaho and you can get whatever ye want, cheers i'll check it out, mind you my rem 870 would probably come under the dontlikedelook ruling, got a ATI pistol grip buttstock with ATI synthetic fore-end, remington factory scope mount with BEC inc red dot scope, Tacstar mag extension, Mallards fall from the sky just from the look of it, even the father in law loves it and he's serious old school english side by sides. basically i'm looking for a semi auto practical rifle in either 7.62 nato, 5.56mm nato or 7.62 short, never been a huge fan of AR's, wouldn't mind the semi only FN FAL, i spose looks wise an SKS is gonna be a safe bet were as AK is out, i never tried SKS myself, shooters i know in the states rave about them for budget shooting but they buy cases & cases of CZ surplus 7.62 short at a time, wonder what prices would be like here pratical rifle shooter from the UK i know uses a Rem 700 with detachable mag & loves it.

[
    QUOTE=KerryShooter]Yeah wonder if they sell any Calif legal AR's outside of Calif, madness pop over the state line into Idaho and you can get whatever ye want, cheers i'll check it out, mind you my rem 870 would probably come under the dontlikedelook ruling, got a ATI pistol grip buttstock with ATI synthetic fore-end, remington factory scope mount with BEC inc red dot scope, Tacstar mag extension, Mallards fall from the sky just from the look of it, even the father in law loves it and he's serious old school english side by sides.

Doubt that they sell any even in CA:D .If your Remmy is over here with all that kit on it,it will be no problem either.It is the gun they register here not what is hung on it.Sounds like my remmy 1100,choate FN FAL pistol stock and fore end.9 shot Choate extn.Ambidex bolt catch,speed load shell feeder,Tac sling,24in Barrel,modified from a 28in ribbed,with tru glo sights.Bought all the bits from the US no problem.
    basically i'm looking for a semi auto practical rifle in either 7.62 nato, 5.56mm nato or 7.62 short, never been a huge fan of AR's, wouldn't mind the semi only FN FAL, i spose looks wise an SKS is gonna be a safe bet were as AK is out,
    So am I,there should be no earthly reason that a semi auto rifle couldnt be got here legally.One board poster here did get a HK semi in from Germany.It is just getting over the fear,ignorance and bias against them in the DOJ and the Gardai.Best bet is to try for a civillian version of whatever and build a black rifle then from it if you want to.Looks ,well I have even heard that the DOJ wouldnt allow the Remmy woodsmaster or Browning BAR seris in either.We could try the SKS or better still the mini14 in 223 or 7.62X39
    Dont knock the AR,it is the most versatile design on the marketwith it's modular system,calibre change is dead easy.

i
    never tried SKS myself, shooters i know in the states rave about them for budget shooting but they buy cases & cases of CZ surplus 7.62 short at a time, wonder what prices would be like here pratical rifle shooter from the UK i know uses a Rem 700 with detachable mag & loves it.
    [/QUOTE]
    The SKS was bought alot allright because of it's cheapness and as a store away gun by the survivalist minded,and because some could be adapted to use AK mags,which promptly fell foul of the Klitoon section 92R ban.It's big limitation for practical rifle,or combat,which is one reason it didnt last very long in Ivans front line arsenal, is it's ten shot fixed mag.Better off with the Ruger mini in 7.62x39.
    Bet the 700 is modified by Armalon.Big bucks for that.You could get a good Dragunov copy from Serbia or a Bulgarian Tiger dragunov from Germany with scope,spare mags,cleaning kit and assoc,and be well set up for practical and target shooting,as much as for the Armalon Rem 700

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

OUTSTANDING!!! Pvt Mayhem.Now can you sing the rest of that intresting USMC chant???:D ;)

I could if I get enough drink into me!
    ;-)
    Kinda showing my age there too methinks...

E.

• Advertisement

Yeah i bought the 870 here, tis a 3.5" super mag express then i accessorised by mail order from the states, next will be a 24" cylinder barrel and a ATI heat-shield with ghost ring sights. i also got a sweet little Browning B-80-SL semi-auto which the wife loves to shoot, i'm told its actually made from Beretta 303 parts but assembled by Browning in Portugal,
    I was looking at the Bushmaster brochure, they have a .308" AR15 flat-top that looks very civilised also takes the FN mags, could be worth consideration, i checked out Sabre defence as well,
    Yeah SVD Dragonov was a great gun, see alot on the UK scene that have been converted to straight pull manual.
    You hear great things about the Ruger mini 14 from some people than bad from others, they always remind me of the A-team.
    Problem with the SVD or SKS would be the ammo, if you could import a couple of cases of surplus it'd be grand but i can't see your average dealer here having a box or 2 of 7.62K or 7.62x54R, mind you rusmilitary.com in the UK has all the soviet gear, they also have the new Saiga 12, 12g AK style semi auto shotgun,
    i saw i strange looking 10 round drum mag conversion for the mossberg / remmy in Cabelas, think they're trying to take on the old striker with it

I was looking at the Bushmaster brochure, they have a .308" AR15 flat-top that looks very civilised also takes the FN mags, could be worth
    Bushmaster apprently are not going to sell anymore of these to Civvies.The US military have such a demand on these for Iraq,they cant keep up with production.
    You hear great things about the Ruger mini 14 from some people than bad from others, they always remind me of the A-team.

So long as you dont try to do more with it than what it is intended to do it is fine.IE a cheap effective carbine for day to day use.Not a highly accurate tack driving,poor mans assault rifle.
    Problem with the SVD or SKS would be the ammo, if you could import a couple of cases of surplus it'd be grand but i can't see your average dealer here having a box or 2 of 7.62K or 7.62x54R, mind you rusmilitary.com in the UK has all the soviet gear, they also have the new Saiga 12, 12g AK style semi auto shotgun,
    i saw i strange looking 10 round drum mag conversion for the mossberg / remmy in Cabelas, think they're trying to take on the old striker with it
    If there was an ammo demand,why not?A cheap round that INMHO is an exxellent deer round as well once the FMJ has been pulled and changed for a deer bullet.that ten round gadjet ,modify totally your pump permantly,and I think it is expensive and dubious in working.If you want a box loader get a saiga 12 12ga.They work,and are relatively cheap as well for a practical shotgun.Or if you have mega bucks and strength like Schwarzenegger a USAS12:eek: 20 round drum semi auto.Looks like a freak M16 on steroids.Fully loaded it is 15lbs.Ideal for a days shooting out in the bog.

Shame i liked the sound of the .308 AR..
    been surfing the web found a RPD semi auto, drum mag, made from bulgarian parts, i saw a few Finnish ones used for PR in the UK before the semi auto ban. Gallati International have the kit to convert the SKS to 20 or 30 round fixed mag, So i'm thinking either Yugo SKS, AR clone, HK53 clone or trying for a "Pre-owned" M14 from the states. would love to get my mitts on a L1A1, I had a look at the HK SL8, looks slick. might keep my eye out for a Draganov
    yeah i've seen the USAS 12, though they can go full auto?? Donkeys years ago there was a experimental Colt 12g with 3 shot burst based on the M16 had a 10 shot box mag, called the SAW ( not to be confussed with the minimi SAW) was designed for embassy guards, not sure if it wver went into production

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

in my opinion the irish army should bring back the fn fal

[
    QUOTE=KerryShooter]Shame i liked the sound of the .308 AR..
    been surfing the web found a RPD semi auto, drum mag, made from bulgarian parts, i saw a few Finnish ones used for PR in the UK before the semi auto ban. Gallati International have the kit to convert the SKS to 20 or 30 round fixed mag, So i'm thinking either Yugo SKS, AR clone, HK53 clone or trying for a "Pre-owned" M14 from the states. would love to get my mitts on a L1A1, I had a look at the HK SL8, looks slick. might keep my eye out for a Draganov
    Good luck to you ,I am in the same boat.Just a question of convincing the Super that we can own such.
    yeah i've seen the USAS 12, though they can go full auto?? Donkeys years ago there was a experimental Colt 12g with 3 shot burst based on the M16 had a 10 shot box mag, called the SAW ( not to be confussed with the minimi SAW) was designed for embassy guards, not sure if it wver went into productionQUOTE]
    The USAS was built with select fire for army LEO only.It is classified as a destructive device now in the US in semi auto,so it is under class3 type paperwork.
    Yoke you are on about is ASFIK the Atichsson SAW.It was built with AR parts and had the AR layout.Was a gun looking for a problem,ASFIK it never went into production.Like the Pancor Jackhammer.
    Agree the L1a1 slr was a soilders rifle.Just now a dated design,that could be modernised like the springfield M1a

• Advertisement

yeah SLR / L1A1 / FN FAL was a great rifle, towards the end of its career they brought out the SUIT sight made by the same guys in the North that make the SUSAT sight, fantastic firing, you could also get a LMG (7.63mm Bren) 30 rd mag and beef up the spring to boost capacity, mind you you wouldn't wanna stick more than 28rd's in it, tried the SA80 but couldn't get used to it never liked bullpups, and as for why there is a bayonet for it god knows, it'd be like doing a bayonet charge with a Ruger 10/22 :eek: i haven't tried the Steyr AUG but if its anything like their hunting rifles then its great. you can change barrels from SMG, to Rifle to Sniper Rifle from what i've seen supposed to be a modular super rifle but not as near as the M4, i saw a M4 masterkey on a US website had a rem 870 slung underneath the ultimate hunting weapon?? rich mans version of the takedown survival rifles with a 20g shotgun barrel on top of a .22 rifle barrel, but like the German Driling. Well i've spoken to Sabre Defence and they do export to Ireland so its down to the cop shop for a bit o sweet talkin.. :D

bren is a great weapon spot on sights but i hate the styre i found it to be too short and the base plate is rubber so it is hard to slap someone with it if your on security at least the fn had wood stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

babybundy wrote:
    ...... base plate is rubber so it is hard to slap someone with it if your on security at least the fn had wood stock

You sound as if you do this every day....:rolleyes:
    Is this thread not starting to drift into Walter Mitty Land??

the M4, i saw a M4 masterkey on a US website had a rem 870 slung underneath the ultimate hunting weapon??
    Nope,as the shotgun barrel is too short or the whole thing is too heavy in a full rifle ,18in shotgun config..it is a SP weapon for door busting/entry and CQB.Looks good in the movies though.

Think you mean a rifle shotgun O/U combo gun?A Drilling[German Drei=three]
    Is a double barrel SXS shotgun with a big calibre rifle barrel under it.Proably all the hunting gun you ever need.

QUOTE] Well i've spoken to Sabre Defence and they do export to Ireland so its down to the cop shop for a bit o sweet talkin.. :D[/QUOTE]

Cool out.Didnt know Guy had a dealer here again.Let us know if your Kerry Super is a bit more friendly on the semi autos.If you must show him pics,show him nice "civillianised" versions.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

Nope,as the shotgun barrel is too short or the whole thing is too heavy in a full rifle ,18in shotgun config..it is a SP weapon for door busting/entry and CQB.Looks good in the movies though.
    My friend here ran this config for a while. its fun to play with but dam heavy. The extra weight did help tame down the recoil alot but you have to use the magazine as a grip so it's a little weird to operate, and I found aiming at anything more then 10meters away pretty hard.
    It makes scoring his stages quite easy on the close up targets :) although taping afterwards takes a while!

powerwagon.jpg
    I should find the shots of the same AR with us fireing the M 203 underneath it. Not explosive rounds, just blackpower firing flour bombs. "Lots O Smoke"

Yeah i emailed them through the website, they were more than helpfull, so i've asked them for a qoute and they're gonna sort one out, i've also emailed dsarms in the States about their L1A1's,

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

i've also emailed dsarms in the States about their L1A1's,

Good choice. DSA is expensive, but they make the best FALs. Now that the AWB has expired, I want a DSA para.

yeah i saw the Para, then i saw the Para Carbine, then i saw the Para Carbine with Duracote camo paint job, then the missus had to get me a glass of water cause i was having palputations then i thought the super would take one look at it and tell me to go forth and multiply, so i brought myself back down to reality..

not everyday just on regular basis i swear i'd use the browning automatic pistol (BAP) quicker than the styre when i have the choice

Advertisement