Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All board and moderator Biki pages edited.

Options
  • 31-01-2006 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

I've used a bot to add an infobox to each page.
    It's a bit dodgy, so some of them didn't work properly. Any forum with a subforum didn't get a tagline. See the ones in Region for example. Also, any page with non-ASCII charcters like 'Français' and 'Español' didn't get done.
    If you find such pages, please edit them. There should be logs of the edits - if it worked as it should - here, with a summary to tell which pages were not edited. Also, it created a lot of 'stub' pages which people can fill themselves if they know anything about the board.

The bot edits don't show in recent changes by default, but you can see them if you click 'show bots'.

The user infoboxes can be customised a lot, eg, you can add {{User/Subscriber|Name=Silverfish}} to get an entry which will give a link to your subscriber blog. Anyone can make a new tempate like that too, if you want, for the myboards.ie blogs, off-site blog or anything else. I'll explain more if there's interest.

I focussed on content rather than appearance for the infoboxes, but I'll take comments on both. They can to a large extent be quickly and easily customised by anyone.

Is this the end of "I'm writing this because I don't know who to PM!!". I doubt it.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Jesus- that looks fantastic. Really user friendly. Will get around to editing the food/drink ones after housework, toddler bathing and dinner cooking. gg steve.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

mine doesnt have one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Mine doesn't have one of my forums :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

NICE!

/me edits his boards pages to include charters, etc.

Good work that man!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Shabadu wrote:
    Jesus- that looks fantastic. Really user friendly. Will get around to editing the food/drink ones after housework, toddler bathing and dinner cooking. gg steve.
    I read that as toddler bashing.
    mabye I should go offline for a while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Fair play to ye Steve!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

looks very slick, good job!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

RuggieBear wrote:
    sport?
    That's a dirty word 'round these parts Ruggie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

Hehe. Bizzare that I missed that one. I had to stop and edit the script a few times while running it. I'll do sport now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

\o/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Very cool.
    Kudos to you my friend (and a slap around the head caus now i actually have to fix mine and stop saying "i must do that now someday") only messing excellent and looks great too.

nuke

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

The For Sales wiki is locked, which is why I'm guessing that didn't get it's little list of fora.

Feel free to temp unlock it to run the script though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Talliesin wrote:
    Mine doesn't have one of my forums :(

That is because it is a private forum for Subbers and Mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

ah wait - it didnt forget my name - i just typed in my nick as opposed to this damn christmas nick that hasnt been changed back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

RopeDrink wrote:
    Tried all the additional Board Link//References on the side of my Biki page and they all work perfectly, except for the one for Dawn Of War

Moved the text into the main page and changed the old page to a redirect.

Still needs to be tidied up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Thaedydal wrote:
    That is because it is a private forum for Subbers and Mods.

S&M!!! roffle.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm assuming that none of the boards I moderate are listed because two are in the Hosted section and the other is restricted to Mods and Subscribers?

You didn't get one because of the é in "les incompétents". Dodgy characters messed with the script, which is why some other pages were skipped too. I've made one for you, and made it special for demonstration.

/me digs for access to HoLL

you can add
    {{User/Profile|Name=tSubhDearg|UserID=35731}}

to put a link to your profile in, and
    {{User/Subscriber|Name=tsubhdearg}}

(it has to be all lowercase for some reason. Dunno why) to make a link to your subscriber blog.
    I didn't include any private forums, partly for convenience, and partly cause they don't exist. To make a link to your private forum, you add
    {{User/Forum|Name=HoLL}}

in the right place, and make some corresponding template in the Board:HoLL page.

Admin pages didn't get edited, because I forgot to make the bikibot a sysop before running the script. That's also why the For Sale page didn't get edited before. It's a sysop account now though, so that kind of thing shouldn't happen again. Sparky, and the 24 forum etc didn't get entries, because they are new, and I was using an outdated version of the dhtml menu to generate the templates. I just forgot to update before running it. I can't explain why S&S mods didn't get that forum in their infobox.

If anyone has any other ideas for similar batch edits, let them rip.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Thanks Steveire :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

oh i just seen the 24 one got one, and i only made it thismorning, cheers steveire.

im loving the new pic on the admins page :D nice work whoever done it
    http://www.boards.ie/wiki/index.php/Administrator

lol @ john

I saw it in photopost and it had to be done...

Steveire wrote:
    I saw it in photopost and it had to be done...

best pic ive seen in ages :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I like it :v:

Lost forum information edited and updated (a bit... I'll finish it at some point...)

If any of the "regular posters" from the Lost forum want to pop over and edit in their names into the page fire away

Advertisement