Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling dilemma

Options
  • 31-01-2006 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I Have a tiler in doing my whole house i.e.

Kitchen Floor - 49 Sq Yards (Porcelain) - Completed in 6 days - Charged me 1100
    Bathroom Floor & Walls - 50 Sq Yards (Ceramic) - Completed in 8 Days - Charged me 1500
    Ensuite Floor & Walls - 34 Sq Yard (Ceramic) - Completed in 5 Days - Charged me 850
    Hall Floor - 35 Sq Yards (Porcelain) - Not Done yet Cost 850.

I agreed a total price of 4300 for all of the above works out @ over 25 euro a sq yard. I knew it was kinda expensive but he did my brothers house and did a good job so i went with him.

I have paid him for the kitchen, bathroom & ensuite, He has over estimated the amount of tiles needed and i have returned 25 square yards so far. So now im thinking about letting him tile the hall and when he is done i'll stop 625 euro for the tiling he over estimated... does this sound fair???

He told me at the start his price was high because he had to travel for 1hr 30 mins to get to my house and that both my hall and bathroom have octagon shapes which take more time. When he gave me the price he measured the rooms and gave me the price for the complete job we never spoke about a daily rate.

On another note something which is driving me nuts the more i look at it... He laid the floor tiles in a diamond shape (i.e. 45 degree angle) the wall where my door hangs runs at @ 35 degrees so im left with a tiny slip of a tile which doesnt look great. He rang me to tell me about it when he had it done... said i could get cover to place over it once the hall is tiled as im not having any door saddles. The more i look at this im thinking about telling him to take them up and re-tile at the same angle as the door?? Id be willing to buy the 7 sq yards of tiles to redo it but he wld have to do it for free... Obviously i wont tell him anything about stopping money till he has every thing done.... Id really value other peoples opinion on this as my family are telling me he will come and burn the house if i do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

Tbh if he gave you a price for the job and not per tile I don't think you have a right to deduct the money.You could always mention to him that he thought there would be more to do and would there be any chance of a discount.

Eve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

YOu are right. All tilers base their price on a SQ yard basis. So if he over estimated the area - he over estimates the price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

€4300 for 3.5 weeks work. Nice money

Advertisement