Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investment in Art

Options
  • 31-01-2006 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi

I am interested in investment in Art (not specifically Irish), particularly fine art and sculpture. Does anyone have much experience of this? It appears there are several dealers in cities all touting some artist as the next big thing. How does one really tell? Also is it better to buy at auction, or to try to haggle with a dealer? Indeed, like a lot of things, is it better to buy abroad? Finally, in terms of fine arts, what media hold their value, ie oil on canvas, linen, water colour, paper etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

A little off topic but apparently investing in autographs is popular these days. You could get up to 20% growth in your investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Best to find a wellish known painter that is going to die in the next few years - prices always go.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

onedmc wrote:
    Best to find a wellish known painter that is going to die in the next few years - prices always go.

they're so hard to come by though, and just when you think you've found one, and have invested, the inconsiderate b*stard ends up not dieing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I always thought the idea is to invest in art by both shrewd choice and personal TASTE.

It could be just me, I collect comics and original comic art. Alex Ross is worth money plain and simple but look at the comics forum here and get the names of popular artists, characters and important moments. Each summer there is a big DC event some prove very important.

It is art and you can add value by framing original works and providing the original comic the page is from.

Not too understanding on fine art but I thought it might be worth thinking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Gallery commissions are in the region of 25%, so you've a fair way to go before you many anything on your investment.

Buy art to enjoy - if it increases in value, that's a bonus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement