Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning for iPod 5g 60GB users

Options
  • 31-01-2006 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Do not update to iPod Updater 2006-01-10 if you have a 60gb Video ipods. There has been widespread reports of video problems after the update including myself. Does not appear to affect 30GB models.

The main issue is: You get about 30seconds into to movie and it stalls, then returns with no sound. The problem appears to affect large movie files, home converted files but does not affect videos downloaded from iTunes.

The other issue is that that you cannot turn off the backlight on/off by holding down the Menu button.

If you did unfortunately install the update, you can correct the issue by rolling back to version 1.0.

I also noticed a problem transferring videos to the iPod in the latest iTunes 6.0.2. For some reason, the movies can play fine in iTunes but do not get transferred over to my iPod. This was not an issue in iTunes 6.0.1. The only workaround I could fine was to reconvert the file again using the new convert to iPod feature in iTunes.

There is plenty discussion about the new iPod firmware and iTunes bugs floating around on the net. Word has it, Apple support have kinda acknowledged there might be a problem but expect a firmware and iTunes update in the near future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Aaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh.....too late! How do you go about performing the rol back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

higster wrote:
    Aaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh.....too late! How do you go about performing the rol back?

Here's the way you can roll back to the original firmware version on your iPod WITHOUT RESTORING (and therefore, not losing your mp3's), here are instructions:

1. Open "My Computer"
    2. Double-click your iPod drive
    3. Make sure your computer is set to view hidden files (if it is not, go to Tools > Folder Options and click on the view tab. Select "Show hidden files and folders, and click OK)
    4. Double-click "iPod_Control"
    5. Double-click "Device"
    6. Open SysInfo in Notepad (usually you can double-click it and select Notepad from the list)
    7. Look for "buildID: 0x06108000" and change it to "buildID: 0x05108000"
    8. Save this over the old SysInfo
    9. Open the old iPod Updater from Start > All Programs > iPod > Previous Updaters > iPod Updater 2005-10-12
    10. Click "Update"

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bluefish

The roll back is all fine and well untill you want to get the new headphones that enables radio use on the Ipod video, as this requires the latest software version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Just upgraded to the latest ipod updater 1.1.1 firmware update and it corrects the video playback problems on the 5G 60G iPods using the 1.1 firmware upgrades. I recommend updating immediately. Other reports on the web have also been good. At last, Apple fixed the issue!

Advertisement