Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychic Mediums

Options
  • 26-04-2005 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭

i've been to see eddie christian... he has a tiny little place below miss fantasia in Dublin... i found him very good. he was very accurate in describing my personality and what was going on in my life at the time.. right down to personal details.. as for his predictions... well i havent reached the time they are supposed to happen, so i dont know yet.. he charges €40.. which is good value in my opinion. Be prepared for an hour's wait.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I went to Ed Christian a few years ago, he seemed pretty good from what I remember, although I felt the consultation was a bit short, with hindsight it was a Saturday afternoon so he was pretty busy.

Think I'll go again soon.

Does anyone know can he contact dead people or is it just fortune telling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

James randi is a fraud. I suggest you do more reading on him.
    All the tests he has conducted have been to his design, when someones abilties don't fit, he moves the goalposts. He has no intention of giving away 1,000,000. dollars.
    Acorah, is just like Randi there are good scientists and bad scientists. (how about that top scientist chappie who lied about the stem stell results) They all start out with good intentions but a lot of people get distracted and swayed by fame and glory, the power of money. Randi is no different. You can be sure he's making a quick buck selling his shizzle too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

James Randi worked for years as a psychic, and wrote books teaching "Psychic development" btw before deciding he'd make more money out of debunking. Most professional psychics can't maintain a high percentage of accuracy as it requires intense concentration and breathing techniques to access the powerful intuitive areas of the subconscious. Most so-called psychics don't even try. I had a reading from a tarot reader in a market on the Long Mile Road recently. She told me my problem was boredom with my 9 to 5 job,that I'd be renting somewhere new (unlikely as I own my house) and advised me to go for a job as a sales assistant because thats where my talents lie. I havent worked 9to5 for over 20 years, adore my work which takes me all over the world lecturing, as well as writing and teaching. Strangely she did'nt tell me I'm a "bit psychic" like most of them do. I've had thousands of readings in my time, never had any accuracy from working psychics, found some very talented enthusiastic amateurs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Copied from Paranormal Forum.

-Psi

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> James randi is a fraud.

Perhaps you'd care to back up this statement with some good, hard evidence, rather than making an unsubstantiated and libellous comment?

> All the tests he has conducted have been to his design

Yes, and the design of the test will be agreed with the full agreement and participation of the testee before the tests begin, as will the criteria for success. When all has been agreed, then a legal agreement is signed and the tests are carried out. I can't see what's unfair about this.

Although many people who are tested do cry foul when it's shown for all the world to see that they can't do what they say they can do.

> when someones abilties don't fit, he moves the goalposts.

Could you back up this statement please with some evidence? I'd like to hear from you about exactly what test results were altered after the agreement was signed -- when, where and who, please. Again, you are making a unsubstantiated libellous comment and if you cannot back it up, then I suggest that you retract it.

> there are good scientists and bad scientists. (how about that
    > top scientist chappie who lied about the stem stell results)

That korean guy was rumbled by the scientific process which is designed to do exactly that, and it did it brilliantly. Far from being a failure, this shows up the security of the process, as well as the fallibility of one individual.

WRT mediums, all I can say to you all is to go and find out how they do their act -- it's not very difficult to do. As Uri Geller has made clear from the comfort of his mansion and collection of cars, there's far more money in parapsychology than in skepticism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Yossie

Had to convince my sis to give up seeing mediums.

What I'd recommend even if you are a believer is to try record your "reading". Most mediums won't concent, but hey it's your €40, so just do it and don't tell. Things are a lot more obvious when you listen back over it and it gives you a much more accurate history of the event.

If not convinced that its false, then I'd suggest you look up some info on cold reading. I used - "The full facts book of cold reading" by Ian Roland. It's hard to get and on the expensive side (=1.5 readings), but does a good job as a "how to" cold reading book, with some short sample scripts. There are some other good books too. The tactics used soon shine through. It's even easier if you can get a few recordings of the medium doing reading for different people.

Here's an interesting article by Richard Wiseman on mediums

http://www.psy.herts.ac.uk/wiseman/papers/MediumBJP.pdf

PS Long live James Randi :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

mysteria wrote:
    James Randi worked for years as a psychic, and wrote books teaching "Psychic development" btw before deciding he'd make more money out of debunking.

To my knowledge Randi only worked for a week or two writing a newspaper astrology column. He overheard some people saying they "swore by" the advice in this column. as he only made the material up he decided to quit the column. I have no other reference of Randi working as a "psychic".
    Could you supply some supporting evidence?

Nor have I any reference to books by Randi on Psychic development. Since you claim it to be true could you supply a reference to these books? To even ONE of these books?
    Most professional psychics can't maintain a high percentage of accuracy as it requires intense concentration and breathing techniques to access the powerful intuitive areas of the subconscious.

What is a "professional" psychic? how do you know what most of them do? For that matter how do you define a non professional psychic?
    Most so-called psychics don't even try. I had a reading from a tarot reader in a market on the Long Mile Road recently. She told me my problem was boredom with my 9 to 5 job,that I'd be renting somewhere new (unlikely as I own my house) and advised me to go for a job as a sales assistant because thats where my talents lie. I havent worked 9to5 for over 20 years, adore my work which takes me all over the world lecturing, as well as writing and teaching. Strangely she did'nt tell me I'm a "bit psychic" like most of them do. I've had thousands of readings in my time, never had any accuracy from working psychics, found some very talented enthusiastic amateurs though.

Basically you are saying that people who charge for services and claim psychic abilities are charlatans and should provide evidence for their so called abilities? do you have any evidence of your abilities? You do charge for them don't you? Maybe I am wrong. What is it you write about and teach all over the world?

Kermitt wrote:
    i've been to see eddie christian... he has a tiny little place below miss fantasia in Dublin... i found him very good. he was very accurate in describing my personality and what was going on in my life at the time.. right down to personal details.. as for his predictions... well i havent reached the time they are supposed to happen, so i dont know yet.. he charges €40.. which is good value in my opinion. Be prepared for an hour's wait.

How do you define a "very good" reader? What is a "very accurate " personality description? How do you know? Have you ever taken a psychology or personality test? Or were you just going by what you felt? When was the time of the prediction? What was the nature of the prediction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

Hey guys,

Anyone got any updates to this tread? Something i've become interested in doing lately and dont really know of who/where to go???

solas wrote:
    James randi is a fraud.

this just isnt true. Could you supply a definition oif fraud.
    I suggest you do more reading on him.

I suggest you supply a reference.
    All the tests he has conducted have been to his design, when someones abilties don't fit, he moves the goalposts. He has no intention of giving away 1,000,000. dollars.

I suggest you look up the rules of the test. Randi is not involved in most of them! An independent body does it. to date nobody has even passed a preliminary test which is easier than the final test.

Randi is no different. You can be sure he's making a quick buck selling his shizzle too.
    Randi does not claim to have psychic powers Indeed he asdmits he does NOT have them! so how could he be selling what he does not have. Oops! Arent all the other so called "psychics" who charge doing just that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Re the "James Randi is a fraud" comment. I'm (obviously) a fan of his, and tbh it doesn't upset me at all. However, solas is an ex-mod of Paranormal and they've recently gone of on a defamation witch-hunt (with regards IPL)

Here's the original thread (in this forum):
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054942453

Here's the legal discussion thread about it:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054953971

Now here's the new thread in Paranormal
    Complaint against IPL Upheld
    psi wrote:
    Lads, I will not only perm ban ANYONE making a defamatory comment on this forum, but I will personally direct the post to the attention of the admins asking for a siteban for the user in question.

We can discuss this topic without resorting to mindless stupidity.

So I'm not sure psi will read this in this forum, but the original solas post was made in the Paranormal forum.

So will solas be perm-banned and will psi be asking the site-admins for a site ban? Also mysteria's comments (unless she has evidence that Randi did work as a psychic) are also defamatatory. Unless of course only psychic-paranormal people can be defamed, and James Randi is fair game, which to be honest is probably exactly what psi had in mind.

So psi, are you directing the post in question to the site admins and asking for a siteban?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

1 - The witch hunt was caused when a thread on this forum became libellous.
    2 - Solas' post was made seven months ago.
    3 - Mysteria has already been banned.

Do keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Regarding the Randi challenge I may be one of the few here who was personally responsible for the drafting of an experimental design of one of the preliminary tests. This was done in conjunction with the applicant who was obstructive at every juncture. Even the most reasonable, rational, sensible and necessary elements of the design were rejected making it almost impossible to assess the claims being made in a fair manner. Randi rarely becomes involved in preliminary testing to my knowledge and actively sought me out to agree to test the claimant. He made suggestions on the final design but only to make it more transparent and experimentally sound. A test date was given but the applicant made his excuses and didn't turn up. Those who wish to believe that the design and testing are rigged in Randi's favour are simply misinformed - probably by disgruntled testees (careful!) who realise, when faced for the first time with scientific controls, that they haven't a hope of doing what they have convinced themselves they can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

pH wrote:
    Re the "James Randi is a fraud" comment. I'm (obviously) a fan of his, and tbh it doesn't upset me at all. However, solas is an ex-mod of Paranormal and they've recently gone of on a defamation witch-hunt (with regards IPL)

Here's the original thread (in this forum):
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054942453

Here's the legal discussion thread about it:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054953971

Now here's the new thread in Paranormal
    Complaint against IPL Upheld

So I'm not sure psi will read this in this forum, but the original solas post was made in the Paranormal forum.

So will solas be perm-banned and will psi be asking the site-admins for a site ban? Also mysteria's comments (unless she has evidence that Randi did work as a psychic) are also defamatatory. Unless of course only psychic-paranormal people can be defamed, and James Randi is fair game, which to be honest is probably exactly what psi had in mind.

So psi, are you directing the post in question to the site admins and asking for a siteban?

To address your comments. solas's comment was way back and I addressed it at the time. I do not issue retrospective bans.

Subsequently Irish Skeptics Forum allowed a thread on IPL to run and as a result boards were issued a solicitors letter. [EDIT] Comments made by you, I believe, pH. What is it, you've caused trouble and you don't want to be alone and are trying to sink some other people? Poor show.

Mysteria is already banned, interestingly enough, for trying to stir an issue off topic.

[EDIT]Whoops I thought this thread was in Paranormal...

Basically, thank you Zillah... what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

A thread in this forum didn't become libellous. A particular post in a thread contained possibly libellous comments - similar to those issued by solas (I'm inclined to ask why a libellous post was "allowed to run" in paranormal for seven months without editing/deletion and then moved/copied to another forum ... should we now edit or delete the offending "Randi is a fraud" comment?). Anyway, with regard to our own situation, the poster apologised; the mods blushed and apologised for not spiking it earlier (it didn't take seven months mind you); the comments were deleted and we're all terribly chastened and wiser... now ... as Johnson might say ... move on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

solas wrote:
    Thats not quite true.

It is part of the agreement that the tests have to be agreed by both parties. Of course he is going to restrict the design of the experiment, otherwise it would be impossible to tell if the paranormal events are happening.

Naturally a lot of those claiming paranormal abilities are unhappy about this, since (as was later shown) they are actually faking their abilities, and this trickery requires that they controll the environment perfectly for the deception to work.

If a person claims their paranormal ability just isn't working today because of the set up of the experiement, one can be pretty sure they don't actually have paranormal abilities.

Advertisement