Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menus behind ads

Options
  • 31-01-2006 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

just a small problem. Some of the ads (the HP Invent one in particular) is set up so that menus tile behind it... meaning some forums are inacessible via the menu.

Fixable?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

having the same problem here, on FF running Windows XP. it does however seem not to be a problem with IE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Ruu wrote:
    having the same problem here, on FF running Windows XP. it does however seem not to be a problem with IE

Oh no the Irony, IE being better than FireFox for once! :mad: There has to be a solution and I am working on it and shall live up to my nick.

I found a temporary solution to the problem,

Go to Tools->Adblock->Preferences->Adblock options->Obj-Tabs but a tick alongside this. This will block all Flash and Windows media Player windows from appearing in Firefox though. It is not a great solution only temporary. If you were wondering why Flash didn't appear in Firefox sice you updated to FF 1.5 untick Obj-Tabs and flash including the boards.ie ad will appear. I'm not sure if this would solve the problem if your on an older version of Firefox though, and if you are, you should upgrade to 1.5 anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

Same problem here.

Brings new meaning to the concept of "in your face advertising".
    But then again it could be a sly move by boards.ie to make a fortune by making everyone press the ad in order to get to feedback. Good one boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

didnt Dev give out about telling people how to block ads?

• Advertisement

Found a proper solution,

Download the latest version of adblock for firefox from here make sure that obj-tabs are ticked and then you will get the option (a little adblock tab) to adblock the new Hewlett Packard Flash ad.

Post back here if it works which it should! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

It happens on Opera as well, it must only happen on good browsers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

And www.userbars.com seems to be hanging too.

By the way, it doesn't hurt to click on an advertisement once in a while. Not repeatedly, maybe once a day. If the advertiser sees a lot of 'clicks' coming from certain sites, they will continue to support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

netwhizkid wrote:
    Found a proper solution,

Download the latest version of adblock for firefox from here make sure that obj-tabs are ticked and then you will get the option (a little adblock tab) to adblock the new Hewlett Packard Flash ad.

Post back here if it works which it should! :)
    Y'see, what you;re doing there is telling people how to thwart boards.ie's attempts to make money. Smooth, really.

Jackass

Raphael wrote:
    Y'see, what you;re doing there is telling people how to thwart boards.ie's attempts to make money. Smooth, really.

Jackass

No I support them in their efforts to make money, all I was doing was putting forward a solution to the AD covering the drop-down menus in Firefox. I clicked it myself and supported it! There is now an add-on for Firefox that allows you to "Block" the ad and still allow the website you are viewing eg. boards.ie to get the benefit from you and the Ad, Don't have a clue how it works but i shall research it and post up with results tomorrow. The only reason I blocked it was that it covering up the drop-down menu. If it didn't do that I’d unblock it. I also have to block while dial-up is used as they just hog too much bandwidth.

As for the jackass part, I too liked that movie and TV show :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

netwhizkid wrote:
    Oh no the Irony, IE being better than FireFox for once! :mad: There has to be a solution and I am working on it and shall live up to my nick.

Well, all I can say is I hope you have a change of clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

netwhizkid wrote:
    I am working on it and shall live up to my nick.
    The one you gave yourself, or the one we gave you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Burn :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Thought the same thing myself. :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

LOL, Rep +1

Advertisement