Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance from exchange query

• 31-01-2006 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Hi - anyone able to help me with this:

I live in a town with broadband and recently got it at work, in the town centre. However my home line fails even though I'm approx. 2km from the exchange.

I asked the engineer who came to the office about it (I needed him to change from isdn line) and he said that I was served by a sub-exchange, and it hadn't been upgraded yet. He also said that if I was the other side of the town, I'd be able to get bb ''way out into the country''.

Does this 'sub-exchange' thing make sense? When I rang the 1550 503 303 number, they said to check again in March as there would be a lot of new exchanges being enabled then.

Checked the website again just yesterday, and the fail message has changed to:
    Unfortunately we are not able to pre-qualify your line at this time.
    Please call our Sales team on 1890 22 00 23

Haven't rung the no. yet, anyone know whether the change in message is significant?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

There are loads of people connected to small sub-exchanges and quite frankly most of them will never upgraded.
    Go to www.smarttelecom.ie and put your number into their line checker. The result will be a fail but it will tell you what exchange you're connected to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Dr. Nick wrote:
    Hi - anyone able to help me with this:

I live in a town with broadband and recently got it at work, in the town centre. However my home line fails even though I'm approx. 2km from the exchange.

I asked the engineer who came to the office about it (I needed him to change from isdn line) and he said that I was served by a sub-exchange, and it hadn't been upgraded yet. He also said that if I was the other side of the town, I'd be able to get bb ''way out into the country''.

Does this 'sub-exchange' thing make sense? When I rang the 1550 503 303 number, they said to check again in March as there would be a lot of new exchanges being enabled then.

Checked the website again just yesterday, and the fail message has changed to:
    Unfortunately we are not able to pre-qualify your line at this time.
    Please call our Sales team on 1890 22 00 23

Haven't rung the no. yet, anyone know whether the change in message is significant?

Would your place of business allow you to set up a wifi link from their to your home and share the bb connection?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dr. Nick wrote:

sub exchange = a roadside box with fibre back to the exchange aka a fibre cab(inet) or fibre mux. There is no space in them for DSL so its a no chance I'd say .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm sure they could fit a mini-dslam into a subexchange.

http://www.nettonettech.com/products/AMD8000-12/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

not the standard eircom one, eircom placed a VERY high premium on watertight enclosures which have crap ventilation . You could always write a nice email to Phil and have a natter with him about your idea Jimmy .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Thanks all. How far would a wifi link go? House is a mile from the office.

All of the new house building is on the 'wrong' (for b/band) side of the town, and given the new buyers age profile demand is sure to be high, wonder if that'll make a difference?

Edit: Just rang eircom and they said the number is NOT a fail and to 'check again in a few weeks...' (whatever that means).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Dr. Nick wrote:
    Thanks all. How far would a wifi link go? House is a mile from the office.

All of the new house building is on the 'wrong' (for b/band) side of the town, and given the new buyers age profile demand is sure to be high, wonder if that'll make a difference?

Edit: Just rang eircom and they said the number is NOT a fail and to 'check again in a few weeks...' (whatever that means).

One mile would be a piece of P!%S for wifi. I have some people connecting as far away as 6 miles with no line of sight

Advertisement