Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry cycle - 2nd July

Options
  • 31-01-2006 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭

I'd never heard about this before. Part of the Killarney Summerfest in July.
    Sounds interesting. And a few weeks after the Wicklow 200.

Here is the brief description about last year's cycle.
    RING OF KERRY CYCLE
    Saturday 2nd July - 8am

Over 1,000 cyclists participated in this social fun event for charity in 2003. The Ring of Kerry Cycle is celebrating its 21st year in 2004 having raised over €1.6 million in the course of its history for local charities. The route covers 112 miles of the glorious scenery of the Ring with its spectacular mountains and lakes. Get training now to join in the fun!
    More info and details can be received by contacting Denis Gainey on 087 225 8781

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Did it last year. Well organised, just call denis and get the card in advance. On the day theres hundreds there, a few race types but also a lot of locals on mountain bikes. The group I was with were all from the one club, so there we were in a chaingang hammering down the road in the beating rain and severe wind on our fancy bikes and full kit, with one crazed local in a huge sleeveless sweater billowing like a sail, on a ladies mountain bike and doc marten boots, with all his supplies in a basket on the back. Stuck with us most of the way too ! Very good atmosphere, 2 food stops eat all you can, a verifiable feast to be honest.

A great day, I had done the Wicklow 200 a few weeks earlier and although that was more of a challenge, I enjoyed Kerry more. Its too close to the etape for me this year so I will be missing it and I am genuinely sorry about that, but I am doing Limerick Dublin on April 8th for Cystic Fibrosis Ireland instead to make up for it. Check that one out, 200k flat road and more than likely a tailwind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Is the Rign of Kerry route hilly... flat? I know that's hard to say over 100 miles, but in general any big changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Its not that hilly. Mostly flat, the first real hill is after waterville, a few km's worth of climb, very easy slope though, nothing to get too worked up about, its so gradual you won't have to drop too many gears. Then again after Kenmare near the end there is another drag almost straight after the town.

Again very gradual nothing thats going to hurt you too much. After that its downhill the whole way home. Last year I had done the Wicklow 200 3 weeks earlier and that was far, far worse, the ring of Kerry is nothing compared to it. And the W200 is not that big a deal itself. So in short, don't let the terrain put you off, the weather is usually the challenge in Kerry not the hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Thanks.

Advertisement