Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English!

Options
  • 31-01-2006 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

My english mocks on thursday! Help!!

How much should I be writin for the studied poetry and novel questions? My english teacher doesn't have a clue!

Anyone got any tips for media studies and functional writing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

I'm the same,I don't have a clue and need to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

As far as I can recall, about two A4 pages.

Thing about media studies is, it's mostly common sense. In my JC, I used very, very little of what I'd learned in school to answer the question. It was just all "which of these advertisments is better" and all, and.. you can tell just by looking at it, like.
    Functional writing.. well, just go over your plans for article writing and letter writing and all. Those two sections aren't really too bad, tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

^^^^good advice there

Also,if you cant think of a poem/just blank out,think up your own one,make up a few qoutes to fit the question etc etc,it works!:)

It's a better idea to study your poems, though, that'd be a last resort. Only one of my poems fit the question in my JC, and even then, only vaguely, but I just wrote about it anyway and I came out with an A.
    If you think about it, if you make up quotes you have to make up things to say about them, which is what the main body of your essay is, so, that can take time, and unfortunately in English there isn't a lot of time to spare.

However, if it's a question of making things up, or freaking out in your exam, relax, and make things up. =)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

i know its to late now
    i had my 2 english papers on tuesday higher
    and you judge how much you write by the marks going for that question
    romeo and juliet really came in handy but i couldnt remember who write to kill a mocking bird:rolleyes:
    as for poetry a poem called 'but you didnt' was what i used dont know if any of you guys know it but it came it handy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tH3_UnS0cial_1

awh jus learn all the stuff and write as much as u can!... think of everything that cud fit into the question!.. and remember to only and clearly answer what they ask u!,r you will loose marks!.. english is easy enough but ya gotta be smart with the layout and time giving for each question!...

1huge1 wrote:
    i couldnt remember who write to kill a mocking bird

Thank you so much for reminding me that I have to read that again! ;)

Well, if you write a ridiculous amount, they may deduct marks for waffling.
    As far as I recall, it's one page for 20 marks, or so.

We did But You Didn't in second year, just read it quickly, didn't actually study it for some reason. Sad poem that.

I think during my mocks, it may have been, we'd been studying during the break and I left my books on the floor beside my desk and handily enough To Kill a Mockingbird was on the top of the pile... so yeah, I got that author name right. =)

I mean, uh, don't cheat. Bad bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭madbabe(",)

Did the exam today! i thought it would be worse but its not too bad! once you get into you just write! Last minute advice from a teacher was stick to your time plan and that if its a 10 mjark question write 2 paragraphs and if its 15 marks write 3 paragrahs and so on!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Did english yesterday. Paper 1 was pretty good but paper 2 was just a b*tch! The questions on the studied things were completely different to the type we did in school and that was just for fiction. We haven't even done poetry or dram exam qs!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Um, we're told write 3-4 paragraphs for every question you are asked on drama, novel, poetry and some media studies. Its supposed to be 1 1/2- 2 pages long.
    Dammit, I lost every note I have on Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry.
    But you didn't- was in English book and on wall in classroom, incredibly sad, yet it seems like "Wake me up when September Ends" follows that theme too...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I had my English mocks last week, they weren't too bad but I ran out of time at the end of paper 1 >.<

Luckily for paper two I'd seen the play from which the unseen drama had been taken and read the novel that the fiction extract was from so *fingers crossed* hopefully I wont have done too badly.

The time really annoys me though, I know I could have done so much better had I had unlimited time but I was rushed and so didn't do as well as I could've.

Not having unlimited time is kinda good, though.
    I recall having time left over after paper 1, either in my mocks or the real thing, and I was all, oh man, now I should be improving my story, but I was too tired and lazy to do so, so I... didn't...
    I think the moral of the story is, the more time they give us, the higher a standard they expect. English is, though, in fairness, pretty bad for the timing. How can we come up with really good points for drama when we have another, like, 5 essay-esque answers to write? (For paper 2, that is. I don't think paper 1 is as bad.)

I had my english mocks today, they weren't too bad and I had an hour left afterwards so I just went and improved everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Piste wrote:
    I had my English mocks last week, they weren't too bad but I ran out of time at the end of paper 1 >.<
    If you find yourself running out of time, make sure you have attempted all the questions. The first few marks are easy to get, the last ones the hardest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Hey, I'm sure everyone knows this but if you're studying Romeo+Juliet as your drama and you get confused with the families...

Junior Cert
    Juliet Capulet

and from that you'll know Romeo is a Montague...etc.

Our teacher told us nothing about what we need to do for poetry and it's been ages since we studied 'Of Mice and Men' (our novel) so I'm fearing the mocks as well..*eek* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Julius Caesar
    Jesus Christ

It's a damn conspiracy I tells ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭madbabe(",)

Do not talk to me about julius caesar its my play and my novel is pride and prejudice! in our mocks the novel question was give an example of hate or violence from your novel! how the hell were we supposed to answer that all they do is go to balls and drink tea and the like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

^^^^good advice there

Also,if you cant think of a poem/just blank out,think up your own one,make up a few qoutes to fit the question etc etc,it works!:)
    It's true!, i had an Irish teacher that told us to do this.
    Don't do it for the leaving though, i think all the poetry is prescribed

Our novel is pretty ok, unless they ask a question about love, then we're screwed ( its he one topic "Roll Of Thunder, Hear My Cry" doesn't deal with.
    Our play is ok. "A Midsummer Nights Dream". Fairies and the like. Love potion gone wrong, story pretty much goes from there.
    Irish is where you can make up poetry very successfully, if you can spell in any shape or form. Add a fada or two, its grand.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't Roll of Thunder have love between family/siblings? Long time since I read it but most of those books tend to have that kind of thing.

Not really. But I guess you could stretch it. The english teacher is a wonderful man who stated that we can make up something from an excample, say anything, as long as we back it up.

Well, I'd say for English they're not testing how well you actually know the book, they're more testing how well you can back up and explain the points you're making. So, if you have some crazy wild idea about the book/story, if you can reasonably explain how you have this idea and back it up, etc., it's good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

My mock is tomorrow and ive forgotten all my poems:eek:

Check out the internet- they have loads of notes on poets and poems on teh course. I found excellent ones for Heaney and Shakespeare...my mocks start Tuesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I had my mock and my story was a joke! I'm always terrible at them! But I definitely passed and who know's, I might even have done well. I waffled my way through some sections but I did do well in some parts I think. I prefered paper 2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ali-queenb

im doing to kill a mockingbird and the merchant of venice- luv em both?!

Argh... I wrote 21 and a half pages between the two papers, I've got a painful lump on my finger from writing...I so better get an A!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ali-queenb

o my god u poor ting

• Advertisement

Thanks...oh well. Religon was pretty timepushing too, only 2hours for loads of writing..

Advertisement