Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new PC/laptop

Options
  • 31-01-2006 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭

I`m currently with BT and have been using my laptop for browsing etc for the last 2 years with them.

Its time for an upgrade and I`m either going for a higher spec laptop or PC.

My question is,when I do get a new machine can I just connect the router and continue with my broadband connection or is there more toit than that?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`m about to upgrade to one of the new imacs but I`m still unsure as to what to do with regards to my broadband connection.

Do I need to find the original installation disc and re-install on the new machine or can I just plug the new machine in and continue on.

Any information greatly appreciated.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Depends on how your computers are connected to the router.

If it's via a network cable, it should be plug-and-play
    If it's a properly set up wireless connection, you'll need the network key and/or the router username and password, as you may need to set the network access to include the MAC Address of the network card
    If it's USB, you may need to install the drivers from the original CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Depends on how your computers are connected to the router.

If it's via a network cable, it should be plug-and-play
    If it's a properly set up wireless connection, you'll need the network key and/or the router username and password, as you may need to set the network access to include the MAC Address of the network card
    If it's USB, you may need to install the drivers from the original CD.

Thanks Liam.

I forgot to say I`m currently connected via LAN cable so should be plug and play hopefully.

Advertisement