Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Replicas

Options
  • 31-01-2006 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hey, this is for anyone thats imported a replica gun from England. I ordered mine from modelguns.co.uk. Anyway Im just wondering now long it took for it to get to you. Its been 11days since I ordered and over a week since royal mail got it over here.
    Just wondering does it take more time cuz customs might have to check it out or is it just unfortunate for me thats its being delivered so slowly?

Its a pistol if that'll help any....
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Assuming you bought one of the cheaper lookalikes ie the sig 226 replica at 245 euro

For an extra 70 euro you could have got this here in Ireland and prob a lot less fuss.

Granted you would have to apply for a licence however it should be noted that perhaps the item you ordered from the uk is classsed as a firearm here and would also have to get a licence.

http://www.sauer-waffen.de/index.php?id=279&lang=en

11 days and counting I would be expecting a knock on my door from the boys in blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 tisquall

Well it was the desert eagle, not a sig.
    Anyway as far as I've read up on this forum as well as many other sites, replicas shouldnt be classed in anyway as a firearm because a shot, bullet or other missile cannot be discharged from it.
    Its like saying a kids toy gun has to be licenced etc. etc.

Anyway I'm just wondering if anyone else has ordered from the site or another english site and how long it took to deliver.
    Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Sometimes getting parcels from the uk can be slow. I had some parts ordered for a crane only small bit springs ect.. i ordered them the first week of Jan and i only recieved them last monday so i would not worry too much..
    Did they give you a tracking number??
    if so you can track it that way by ringing ups or whoever is the courier give them the tracking number and they should be able to tell you where it is:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Tisquall,

Is correct, replicas & deactivated "firearms" are not classed as firearms and therefore do not come under the firearms act in the UK. Deactivated firearms will require a deactivation certificate.

You will also probably encounter problems from the airline carrier as well for the deactivated firearm. They don't like to carry them.

I brought back a deactivated Lee Enfield .303 MK1 pre 9/11 and had to fly with it to get it across from the UK to Ireland. Copper checked the deactivation cert at Stanstead & that was it.....

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Trojan911 wrote:
    Tisquall,

Is correct, replicas & deactivated "firearms" are not classed as firearms ...

Thats only in the UK, here it is as follows and point (F) is the important one here at the FIREARMS AND OFFENSIVE WEAPONS ACT, 1990

http://www.acts.ie/print/zza12y1990.1.html

Extension of Firearms Acts to crossbows and stun guns. 4. —(1) In the Firearms Acts, 1925 to 1990, "firearm" means—

[GA] ( a ) a lethal firearm or other lethal weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged;

MOVING SWIFTLY ALONG TO POINT (F)

[GA] ( f ) any article which would be a firearm under any of the foregoing paragraphs but for the fact that, owing to the lack of a necessary component part or parts, or to any other defect or condition, it is incapable of discharging a shot, bullet or other missile or of causing a shock or other disablement (as the case may be);

So in essence a deactivated firearm does come under the firearms laws here however there is indeed a grey area in relation to Replicas which do not fire or discharge an item. I firmly believe he his correct that a replica does not come under the acts although he would have some explaining to do I think to get his point across.
    Trojan911 wrote:
    and therefore do not come under the firearms act in the UK. Deactivated firearms will require a deactivation certificate. ...

Again over here different standards apply some districts may accept a deactivation certificate and others as is my particular case will seek to send the item in question to the Ballistics Section "I AM NOW WAITING 10 MONTHS FOR A REPLY"

Tisquall, Hope it works out better for you and your not waiting 10 months like me.

Funny thing is it only took me 6 weeks to get the real things licenced

• Advertisement

Well, if they at least notify me that its been sent to the Ballistics section I wouldn't even mind but since I'm getting no word at all, I just don't know whats going on.

Also, yes I did get a tracking number. It took about 2 or 3 days for the message to update to "your item has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery".
    I'm half expecting that it was stolen, the post "man" (hes about 17) looks very suspicious all the time and the post has "gone missing" a few times since he started...ha.
    I certainly hope that's not what happened anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

To Tisquall
    Keep us posted and let us know how it goes ok!
    from what you said its coming Royal Mail and they are sometimes very slow
    its 12 days now id give it about one more week if nothings arrived by then. its time to start stalking the postman:D

Stalk? I'll be killing the chap if I suspect he's behind this late arrival of my precious...my....precious
    deeagle1.jpg

I'll leave it another week though.... I mean it is the post...who can predict when they decide to get items to you??
    Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

This really isn't the forum to be discussing the late arrival of toys in the post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement