Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sabbat elections

Options
  • 31-01-2006 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

so anyone ne ideas for who is going for what - it's almost Friday so we will soon know for sure?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

the tribune says Orla Ní Threasaigh (current irish language officer), Enda Duffy and Dan Hayden with Duffy tipped to win for president.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

President:
    Enda Duffy, (auditor of Labour Youth’s ucd branch
    Dan Haydon, (current Welfare Officer)
    Orla Ni Threasaig, (current Irish language officer)
    Seamus O 'Maoinigh (unconfirmed sighting of him collecting nominations)

Dep.:
    Dave Curran (current Dep.)
    Darragh O Bradain (unconfirmed but collecting signatures)

Welfare
    Lisa O Donavan (our very own)
    Michelle Killeen ( Woman’s officer)
    Barry Colfer (2nd bbls rep)

Ents

Dave Redmond
    Brian Canny (auditor of Retro Soc)
    Enda O Donoghue
    Holly Irvine (3rd Arts Rep)

Education

Kate O Hanlon (what would be me,2ndArts rep)
    Brian Doyle (2nd Comm. Rep)

But we shall all know for sure on monday.

should we get a vote-the-boardsies campaign going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Ah pretty monster-heared good things bout you!Cool two boardies-oh truckle wont like this with his dislike of all things su :p

Cant believe they called me 'liberal' on the newswire.Im proud of my leftness!So all my years of going to protests in limerick and dublin and campaigning for developing world equlity goes up in smoke when you say one little comment on abortion.Once again,the ultrasound debate was about the freedom of speech of ALL groups on campus it had nothing to do with my beliefs in abortion!!!Ah this one will haunt me to my grave'Here lies panda who wanted to allow fascist sexist bigots onto campus':rolleyes: Also look at all the fuss people made over Jennifer Allen when she ran and in my opinion she has been the best welfare officer since I arrived in UCD and the lefts in office at the time got on with her well!

One thing that ive noticed about the elections so far is how much emphasis is placed on particular experience within the su.In my opinion too much experience in the SU is a bad thing.If we look at the list of candidates that pretty monster has up then i suppose Seamus O'Maonigh is the most 'experienced' in relation to the su,and he was full of empty promises for welfare when he ran.I think becoming too involved with the su leaves you cut off from what students really want and you sorta get caught up in the ucdsu hack little world.I'll be the first to say that I find su corridor very intimitating.Everyone seems to know everyone and for someone like me who is in an outlying faculty and knows no one except one guy in medicine whose involved with the union it can be a scary place.Thats one thing I liked about Dan and Dave this year,they always made you feel welcomed on union corrider when usually mostly I feel very uncomftorble there.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm pretty sure liberal and left-wing are the same thing.

And don't get too caught up in the fact that Cogavin had a go at you, he's a fcuking cnut anyway.

I'm hoping for a Ní Threasaigh, Curran, Canny and Doyle. I'm still smarting over our last exchange pretty*monster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

where's all this bitching and labeling going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I'm pretty sure liberal and left-wing are the same thing.
    Yep, I'm liberal and left-wing, and proud of it.

Darren's ok, he probably just got the wrong end of the stick is all... Wouldn't let it bother ya so much panda, there's gonna be a heckuva lot more mudslinging in this campaign yet!:D

I'm still smarting over our last exchange pretty*monster.

Which exchange was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Looks like my friend RON will be getting another set of my votes this year.
    Freaking lefties!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You say lefty like it's a bad thing.

• Advertisement

for the mathematically inclined among you i'm going to come up with a hack-equation which you can quickly check someone's hack value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

why are dan and dave running for election again i mean its not like they have done an amazing amount already to warrent another paid year out, its an awful load of bollox the students union if ask me all they do is complain and never actually achieve anything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

i dunno about Dan, but Dave did everything he promised he'd do and then some. he's done a great job and in fairness, i would have thought Dave would go for President this time. if you ask me, hayden hasnt done enough to warrent election. now not knowing much about his opponents i cant say much about that particular heat.

the election to watch this year will be ents. i have heard reports that a whopping EIGHT candidates are gonna be running. This is the largest ever. mainly due to the success of Anthony Kelly. Basically people wanting to build on his success, UCD Balls, Rag Week and what not.

Personally this disappearence in the past of such events is disturbing and an example of what can happen if the wrong person gets elected.

Personally the Presidential race, being most important, i find most interesting to watch. Mainly because most of the candidates are... well dodgy. well they were last year anyway. Joanne, had good things to say and probably was the best of a bad bunch but there was much talk of the fact that she might have been a puppet president. What made the other two canidates Messers Carroll and Carroll so bad in my view was their wishy-washy-ness (not a real phrase i know). James is and was WAY to close to college establishment for anyone's liking. And we've seen that during his term in office that he has been less active in his opposition to questionable college policy - such as the modularisation of outstanding colleges, Arts and Law, parts of science n vet.
    And paddy, though a nice guy... (i know him personally and even assisted on his campaign last year) had some questionable views on certain topics mainly coming from his religious persuasion. Now im no big fan of religion but it should stay out of any kind of political sphere. Considering the majority of UCD students do not actively practice the religion(s) they were born into.

Its the ulterior motives and personal views that must be examined by the electorate, and its the job of the student media to highlight these.

Well should be fun anyway.

Kev out

Pythia wrote:
    Looks like my friend RON will be getting another set of my votes this year.
    Freaking lefties!
    It's a complete myth that the union is over run with 'lefties'. There are people of all political persuasions involved and people of none. It's just that the left tend to be louder and more visible.

In the list I gave I count only two hard lefties, five soft/centre lefties, one right wing, two centrists and one unknown entity.

I may be a little off in my calculations here, but it's based mainly on party affiliations, lack thereof, presence at protests, voting records in council where applicable, and from knowing most of the candidates personally.
    I omit ents candidates from this count cos their politics rarely come into the equation with voters.

But really, political affiliations aren’t the be all and end all. Look at the manifestos, listen to the lecture addresses, read the interviews, heck attend the hustings (there’ll be a green hustings too this year, as well as a pink one) see who's promising what and whether they're only spoofing you.

Thought id write here instead of infesting mr nice guys romantic thread any longer!Even though all my reasons for not planning to run are still valid,I went back to the library today and managed to salvage some of my signatures that Id ripped up and handed it in about an hour ago.Even though I'm from an outlying faculty and have pretty much all odds in regards to a campaign running against me,its something I want to do ,so I'm going to do it.I hope people will read our manifestos and listen to our lecture addreses and vote for us for that reason instead of just for the amount of people that we have canvassing for us.The more I thought about it yesterday, i realised i wasnt running because i'm intimitated by so many of those in the union and just union politics in general.So hopefully me running might make it more accesible to students to get intrested in union life!

What's a green and pink hustings pretty monster??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Pink Hustings are LGB hustings. Green Hustings I'd assume are being organised by the environmental awareness officer.

Then there are the normal L&H hustings too.

panda100 wrote:
    What's a green and pink hustings pretty monster??:confused:

The Green hustings will focus on environmental issues, Molly Walsh, ucdsu environmental officer is organising it. The pink hustings will focus on lgbt(q) issues, I don't know if lgbt soc, or the lgb officer are organising it... or if they're doing it jointly.
    And there'll still be the normal hustings, focusing on broader student issues.

*edit*
    I see I've been beaten to the punch

cool-thats a good idea to do seperate hustings,specially a green one,the lack of recycling facilities on campus are pretty dismal alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

yay panda i'm delighted your running again...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

panda100 wrote:
    I went back to the library today and managed to salvage some of my signatures

Jeez woman make up your mind! :p

Best of luck! Looking forward to seeing the posters up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

It's always a choice between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Mmmm...

Tasty!

irlrobins wrote:
    Jeez woman make up your mind! :p

Best of luck! Looking forward to seeing the posters up!

Please dont draw any moustaches on me!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

panda100 wrote:

Damn... that's my fun spoiled again!!

And I think you will make a great *checks notes* ''insert position'' person on the union..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

panda100 wrote:

Heh, that was the entertaining bit! I remember back when Abey was running for Education, one of the papers was running a "best defacing of campaign material" competition. It was great fun!

Actually, being on his campaign team we saw even more fun ones. Basically, because Sabbat candidates have a budget, the campaign teams go out into lecture theatres at the end of the day and go out and pick up old fliers. We took the ones that were lightly defaced and they went out again the next day. The REALLY defaced ones, that showed too much artistic talent to just be thrown in the bin, went onto the campaign desk. :D

Generally, these days, I vote not on their policies and campaign strategies, but on how defacable someone's campaign literature is.

P.B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 VenusInFurs

And don't get too caught up in the fact that Cogavin had a go at you, he's a fcuking cnut anyway.

Sorry moderators, is this type of personal abuse acceptable?

For shame, Hullaballoo *tut tut tut*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

it is when its directed at the likes of him

Sorry moderators, is this type of personal abuse acceptable?

For shame, Hullaballoo *tut tut tut*

Have to hold back-have promised my campaign manager I am not going to be contraversial from here on in!Anywho,will promise I'll put up the funniest defaced posters of mine up here so u can see them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 VenusInFurs

tintinr35 wrote:
    it is when its directed at the likes of him

Seriously tintinr35, I don't mind people criticising my political and moral convictions, so long as its substantiated, but I think hullabaloo calling me a 'fcuking cnut' is well out of order. Its foolish to think of it as anything short of an epithet, an insult, a vulgarity and a slur.

Regards,
    Darren Cogavin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Lol.

Advertisement