Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red hat 9 and XP?

• 31-01-2006 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

I have Red Hat 9 installed on my laptop, and now I want to install XP as an alt. boot option, can this be done?
    I installed RH9 with the 3 cd's standard intallation and have done nothign to it since. I have a 10gb hard drive, and the way it set up is one partition of ~250mb, another of ~100mb or so, and one more of about 9650mb - or at least this is what the XP install CD told me. Any idea how do I know which of these linux is installed on? Obviously XP can only go on the 9650mb partition, but it's giving me some sort of error when I try this, so that I'd have to format this partition and install over. What do I do?
    Would I be better off formatting (this would about be my fifth time doing so now!!!) and installing XP first, installing RH9 over it? If I had to go this way I think I'd just stick with XP, but I'd like to keep red hat on as well if I can at all...
    Thanks for any help you can give, if you need further clarification of what I've been blabbering about just ask!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Before I go any further...
    cianclarke wrote:
    I installed RH9
    Why? RH9 is ancient, and more important it's officially unsupported. It probably won't be long before it's dropped by the Fedora Legacy Project too. Do yourself a favour, install a more up-to-date distro. Fedora is the natural progession of Red Hat 9, or Red Hat Enterprise if you want something a bit more heavy-duty.

I have a 10gb hard drive, and the way it set up is one partition of ~250mb, another of ~100mb or so, and one more of about 9650mb - or at least this is what the XP install CD told me. Any idea how do I know which of these linux is installed on?
    All of them. The 250MB partition is your swap, the 100MB /boot, and the larger one the rest of the OS.
    Would I be better off formatting (this would about be my fifth time doing so now!!!) and installing XP first, installing RH9 over it?
    Yes. Windows is greedy when it comes to installation, you always need to start with that. I'd install XP, and then FC4. Or consult the "Really small distro" thread in this forum for something a little less resource intensive.

EDIT: BTW, 10GB is a very small hard drive for a dual-boot system. XP will take about 3GB of it out of the blocks, and that's a fresh install -- it'll be up to 5GB before you can blink.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Adam-perhaps time to reevaluate my relationship with linux! :S I was hoping to gain familiarity, but I might have to go for a more cut down version. Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lexeme

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Before I go any further...

Why? RH9 is ancient...

wasn't it officially dropped april before last?

that's not ancient ;)

i still have some rh9s running 2.6 kernels, 9 installs with a 2.4 by default. i wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

@Cian, if you want to get familiar, and you have reasonably fast internet connected to the box you are installing on, do a gentoo install. give yourself a day though. a full day. get up early. and skip the compile your own kernel option to save time and heartache if you just want the system working that day. debian is also nice also.

Advertisement