Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stereo problem

Options
  • 31-01-2006 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭

We have a problem with the girlfriend's stereo. (Ford Focus) It was plugged into one of these diagnostic machines as something was misfiring and the stereo must have lost its memory. (gf doesnt know where the book is) I have asked the garage on two occasions to fix it but got it back the same way, can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I take it your stereo is locked out? As in it wont power on without entering a code firstly?

This is caused by the battery getting disconnected or if the stereo is removed and refitted.
    If this is the case, then I'm afraid its dealer only who can supply the code if this is your problem. Usually all they need is the stereo serial # and/or vin #

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

I have a similar problem. Also Ford Focus. Battery was disconnected so that we could put in a replaced headlight bulb. Though I (stupidly) entered the code incorrectly 10 times (dont ask), the code that was supplied was incorrect. Brought the car to the dealer and they told me that there was nothing they could do and that I had to get the radio re-programmed. Any recommendations on where this can be done, preferably somewhere Northside of Dublin somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

d-arke wrote:
    Battery was disconnected so that we could put in a replaced headlight bulb.
    :eek: :confused: Why would you do that?

Apparently thats what needs to be done if you want to put in a new headlight. Stupid I know!!! Even the people in the Ford garage said it was stupid

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A main dealer will need to supply you with the code if you can't find it. They may require a copy of the ownership document also before doing it.
    If the garage caused it to be locked out then surely they should do it FOC.
    fletch wrote:
    :eek: :confused: Why would you do that?
    Its becomming more and more common that a bulb change requires a lot of expert work. Don't some Peugeots and Renaults also require a dealer to replace a bulb. Absolutely poor design which is a safety hazard!

• Advertisement

Well, we had the code that was written in the "Car Audio Stereo" booklet (think thats what is called) but it was the wrong code. So I was kind of hoping that they would do it FOC but they told me that because the radio is now locked, it would have to get re-programmed and gave me the name of some place in Phibsboro that will do it.

Apparently what the dealer will do is, take your radio out and enter the serial number thats written on it into their computer and it will find the required code. Apparently you need a special key to take out the Focus radio, but you can do kinda make one that will do the trick with a coat hanger. (Haven't tried this yet though)

You would think the dealer should be able to do it?!? Anyone know anywhere in Swords that might be able to help me out???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

if you had of given me the serial number i would have got you the correct code,but you never replyed back with it.:(

i posted a new thread up around the start of january asking about the same problem, was kinda hoping you would have replied to it cause i didnt have your details to email you back :(

d-arke wrote:
    i posted a new thread up around the start of january asking about the same problem, was kinda hoping you would have replied to it cause i didnt have your details to email you back :(

you should have sent me a private message(through this site)
    I hope you gat it sorted soon m8,maybe a 2nd hand one from the scrappy??.
    might be cheaper if it has no code with it(then i'll help you);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

on some fords, the code is on the ashtray.
    pull it out and look at the bottom of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what's the point in having a security code if it's printed on the ashtray?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i have a feeling i will too have the same problem, i plan on replacing my standard stereo in my 206 to a MP3 one, but i have been informed that if i disconnect the stereo for a period of time i will require a code to enable it again.
    Since i got the car second hand i didnt get any booklets.
    So is it just a matter of getting the radio serial and the car year and chassis number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

colm_mcm wrote:
    what's the point in having a security code if it's printed on the ashtray?!

I don't know why Ford did that, but i don't thin many people knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I just bought a secondhand focus and the radio wont work without a key code. The battery in the car died while I was waiting to buy it, I presume this is why I need the code. No manuals with the car. I checked the ashtray and no number there. I wouldn't be to confident about taking out a radio myself. Will any ford dealer be able give me the code or does it hve to be the original seller?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Deedsie wrote: »
    I just bought a secondhand focus and the radio wont work without a key code. The battery in the car died while I was waiting to buy it, I presume this is why I need the code. No manuals with the car. I checked the ashtray and no number there. I wouldn't be to confident about taking out a radio myself. Will any ford dealer be able give me the code or does it hve to be the original seller?
    Any Ford dealer should be able to give you the code yes. However if you want, go to Halfords and get the appropriate removal tool(about €6), pop the radio out and send me the serial number and I'll send you the unlock code.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Cheers fletch that would be very decent of you. Unfortunately there is no Halfords anywhere near where i live. I might try remove the stereo with a hanger and see if that works. Ill get back to you if i can do it. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

louie wrote: »
    I don't know why Ford did that, but i don't thin many people knows that.

Bit like the fact that you can open the boot of certain Ford cars with any certain Ford car key!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

all ford radios can be unlocked even after the code has been put in wrong tens times you just need the serial number off the side and job takes ten mins we charge 10 euro for reseting locked out radios and 5 euro for people just looking for codes

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭macco66

Hey folks, I have the same problem as Ginger83 and d-arke, but on a 2000 transit. The radio is a 4000RDS and the serial number is: M 030800.

Can anyone help me? I'm not really enjoying driving around with just my brain for company!:(

EDIT: Thanks anyway, found it elsewhere on the net.

macco66 wrote: »
    Hey folks, I have the same problem as Ginger83 and d-arke, but on a 2000 transit. The radio is a 4000RDS and the serial number is: M 030800.

Can anyone help me? I'm not really enjoying driving around with just my brain for company!:(

EDIT: Thanks anyway, found it elsewhere on the net.

'3072' is your code;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement